GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P0413 code

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
@nkresho; that's what I expected to see happen with mine, and I was going to make the assumption that, if that was a common thing, the only reason the new kombi valve fixed the issue, is because in reality, the wires were the issue. Glad you were able to sort it out, and hope whatever you're moving onto treats you well.

@Diggs24; did you have the code masked/whatever so you're not seeing a CEL? If mine comes back, I may go that route.

I'm loathe to suggest that I believe my kombi valve actually failed, because I never saw the pressure sensor show above 14.4# when the system wasn't active and the car was running. I would expect a different code, maybe, for an overpressure issue if that were the case. The fact that the tests check out fine, both on the old valve and new valve, don't really make sense to me.

Like I said, I'll monitor and report back. The only other thing I have going on is the need to do a carbon cleaning soon, but I'm not confident that could cause this issue, surely?
I turned it off with Eurodyne Maestro.

KingOfSpades007

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Well, it's been a week of not looking at things and so far so good? I haven't heard it running at every single cold start, but my habit of starting the car also hasn't changed - only the temperature outside has (brr).

I'll chalk it up as a win, and say that the kombi valve seems strange. I'm going to keep my old one in a box and maybe one day I'll have a muck about with it to see if there's anything outwardly wrong with the thing.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
So I dropped it off at the dealer this week. I'm at 71K so 1 more K of miles under warranty. I know the tech that works on my car which is nice as this leads to the "mod friendy" attitude. I gave him all the info about how I tought the wiring harness had an issue and he confrimed - he is running a new wire so hopefully that will sort this CEL crap out.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Update - I'm going with a blown-out trans mount allowing more movement and that wiring harness rubbing somewhere causing the wire to get damaged. It's fixed (under warranty). Here is the service write-up, maybe this can help someone having this issue.

Inked20211218_165954_LI.jpg

Last edited:

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I removed the connector (gotta remove the tiny little pink slider), stripped back about an inch of the insulation from each lead, and soldered both wires up to the crimped part, then heatshrinked and put it all back together.

Ran the test again wiggling the wires in every direction.

rock solid. Clicked the whole time the test is running now.
So to make sure I'm understanding this correctly - the connector was the culprit? I'm getting the same code "SAI valve stuck open" and I can hear the SAI 'whistle' coming on and off during cold starts

Need to get this fixed as the car is already overdue for a smog (ofc it pops up now 😅)

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
For me it was the wiring right into the plug. Like the last couple inches. I imagine vw has a replacement plug with leads a few inches long that you can just solder in.

Best way to tell is run the vagcom test sequence and wiggle the wire till it stops clicking

tigeo

Autocross Champion
For me it was the wiring right into the plug. Like the last couple inches. I imagine vw has a replacement plug with leads a few inches long that you can just solder in.

Best way to tell is run the vagcom test sequence and wiggle the wire till it stops clicking
Exactly what I was doing using OBDEleven - wiggle wire by plug when it was cycling the valve. Mine was by the plug. Hasn't come back.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
So to make sure I'm understanding this correctly - the connector was the culprit? I'm getting the same code "SAI valve stuck open" and I can hear the SAI 'whistle' coming on and off during cold starts

Need to get this fixed as the car is already overdue for a smog (ofc it pops up now 😅)
Update: Unplugging the wire, blasting it with contact cleaner, then plugging it back in did the job - at least long enough for me to get smogged today

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Update: Unplugging the wire, blasting it with contact cleaner, then plugging it back in did the job - at least long enough for me to get smogged today
6 month update: The CEL came on a few times only to disappear a few days later - it's done this about 3-5 times now but hasn't come back in the last ~2 months. Hopefully this post doesn't jinx it 😅

tigeo

Autocross Champion
6 month update: The CEL came on a few times only to disappear a few days later - it's done this about 3-5 times now but hasn't come back in the last ~2 months. Hopefully this post doesn't jinx it 😅
Mine is sporadic as well, I haven't gotten a CEL but a few times since he re-did the wiring and I get the soft code stored now and then. Who knows.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I got APR flashed for the new turbo (1.3). Car runs better/stronger I think more boost.
Got an PO41300 for the secondary air pump…. Went this morning to the dealer to see if they could fix it under warranty…. Smith VW it has usually been mod friendly.
The mechanic went, open the hood and said this is going to be TD1 and under no circumstances cover under warranty…. I talked to the manager (I’ve been going to that dealer for the last 7 years) I flashed my car there blah blah long story short I took my car with me and I’ll fix it on my own.
Sad part I have to stay out of boost for now… of course inspection it’s due 6/22.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I cleaned the connection with connection cleaner. Put it back, erased the freaking light... Hopefully that's it. Meanwhile is sending season anyway...

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
I got APR flashed for the new turbo (1.3). Car runs better/stronger I think more boost.
Got an PO41300 for the secondary air pump…. Went this morning to the dealer to see if they could fix it under warranty…. Smith VW it has usually been mod friendly.
The mechanic went, open the hood and said this is going to be TD1 and under no circumstances cover under warranty…. I talked to the manager (I’ve been going to that dealer for the last 7 years) I flashed my car there blah blah long story short I took my car with me and I’ll fix it on my own.
Sad part I have to stay out of boost for now… of course inspection it’s due 6/22.
Its not legal for the dealer to do that, Magnusson Moss warranty act. The dealer had to prove your modifications caused the failure.