GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P0087 fuel pressure low

richiekuk

Ready to race!
Hey all.

I've had numerous instances of Limp Mode recently. Always happens at full throttle.
I've scanned with VCDS and the above fault code comes up 5 times?

Anyone else had this?
Car is under warranty, and I'm hoping it's just a dodgy sensor playing up intermittently. I've heard of dodgy boost pressure sensors, but not this one.

richiekuk

Ready to race!
Car is going in on Saturday for a few issues. Will be adding this one to the list

richiekuk

Ready to race!
Had a phone call from the garage.
Apparently they've never seen this before. And are liasing with VW UK.
Expecting a phone call soon.

richiekuk

Ready to race!
UPDATE.

I've been told the technician couldn't reproduce the fault, and it's a fault they've never heard of. So it a case of hope it doesn't happen again. As it hadn't done it for a bit before it went in.
Just hope they've sorted the other issues.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
I would suggest they replace the fuel pump as a precaution .. you do NOT want the fuel pump to fail under load.

richiekuk

Ready to race!
I would suggest they replace the fuel pump as a precaution .. you do NOT want the fuel pump to fail under load.

The techy seemed happy to leave it as its intermittent and goes straight into limp mode. So no real danger to the engine apparently. Plus, apparently I had inadvertently wiped the fault codes.
He said if it starts to happen again to take it in, so he can see the code and go from there.

Chrisdut

Seen this a few times on Passats and think twice on a mk7 golf.

The issue is the wiring in the rail sensor plug, the internal clamping of the pins are not always tight enough

Replacing the 5 pins usually always fixes the issue

HTH

richiekuk

Ready to race!
Seen this a few times on Passats and think twice on a mk7 golf.

The issue is the wiring in the rail sensor plug, the internal clamping of the pins are not always tight enough

Replacing the 5 pins usually always fixes the issue

HTH

Cheers for that.

I'll let the technician know when it goes in next for the rear tweeter replacement.

J400uk

Ready to race!
Did you get this sorted in the end Richie? My GTD is going into VW tomorrow for the same issue, and I've got the P0087 code showing on VCDS. My ACC is also playing up but not sure if that's the same issue.

richiekuk

Ready to race!
Did you get this sorted in the end Richie? My GTD is going into VW tomorrow for the same issue, and I've got the P0087 code showing on VCDS. My ACC is also playing up but not sure if that's the same issue.

We never actually got to the bottom of this. It appeared to only happen when the ambient air temp is above 20ish degrees, and I fully open the throttle.
This only happened with my original remap.
Since then, Nick at Carbon had altered the map so it never happened again.

I don't actually run the remap any more, so doubt it will show its face again.

Not sure if your ACC fault will be linked, apart from the ACC will not work whilst the car is in limp mode.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
A friend of mine had fuel pressure issues on a GTi and blew the engine. Just saying...

Last edited:

DangerousTheory

Passed Driver's Ed
I know this is an old thread but I believe I had the same issue, and VW repaired it.

A couple of months ago while driving on the motorway, yellow coil light suddenly started flashing and I had "ACC & Front Assist Err." come up on the display. GTD went into Limp Mode and I pulled over onto hard shoulder. Came up saying Start/Stop Error too and wouldn't shut off automatically. I turned the ignition off and on again, car started absolutely fine and whatever problem there was seemingly disappeared.

I took the car too the dealership to get it checked out anyway, they did some diagnostics and apparently found a fault code regarding the fuel pump pressure. They didn't say how the two things could be related, but the fuel pump was replaced. Problem has not occurred again.