GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Overheating

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
The belt should not look that worn/torn on the outside. That screams someone screwed up the install. I’ve never seen a belt look like that from normal wear and tear.
I would 2nd that notion.
I would even go so far to say, that the problem was the pump all along and someone purposely cut that belt to make the full install a little easier.
Never seen a belt snap like that - ever.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Be calm and and have them explain to you how they think the belt could have snapped and be torn up like that. The ONLY way a belt can be rubbed to the reinforcement like that on the outside is if it has been rubbing on something for awhile. Considering the belt is under tension and the tension is what allows it to spin the pump then it couldn't have been flopping around in there (assuming this leak repair was awhile ago....looks like about a month?).

I would ask to see the repair ticket for the leak that they "fixed". I suspect whatever they did they must have ruined the belt housing as that's the only thing the belt could have rubbed on. I suspect they overtorqued it and warped it.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Agree with Diggs24 on this. What did they "fix" when they saw the first leak.? If the repair bill indicates a new housing or pump then this second repair should be totally on them. Look over the last repair bill very carefully to see what it says and the parts list.

carlos181

Passed Driver's Ed
Drove to work this morning which is about a 25mi trip. Hasn’t overheated. The engine bay wasn’t wiped down and has coolant all over. Reservoir is above the full marking specified by the manual.

When I picked up the car the service department was closed so I wasn’t able to speak to anyone. I really hope if there was a mistake done on their behalf that things can be made right by them versus me have to eat a $600+ bill for something that should’ve been done the right way the first time. If the car needed a repair and it was out of warranty or a result of having a modification done to the car then I’d assume full responsibility.

I misplaced the work invoice for when they did the warranty work on the thermostat but they stated they only replaced the thermostat and not the whole housing. Can someone explain to me if the tech would need to have touched the water pump or belt at all for the install of the thermostat and if not, would that have been easy for him to observe that the belt appeared to be rubbing and addressed it then?

Attachments

• 6C158D76-541D-4B15-A665-0B161459E906.jpeg
    6C158D76-541D-4B15-A665-0B161459E906.jpeg
    701 KB · Views: 95

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
You are eating that bill that you shouldn't be dude... they obviously messed up the original repair...

The engine bay wasn’t wiped down and has coolant all over. Reservoir is above the full marking specified by the manual.

I would go back there in person if possible... you can be perfectly confident when discussing this with them, now knowing its plainly obvious they are at fault.

You could tell them you plan on contacting VW of America and telling them 1 month after your thermostat warranty work the belt "snapped" and tell them you are going to send them the picture of the (cut) belt....

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Looking at the pictures of the thermostat housing on Shopdap.com it appears that the thermostat fits in the end and so could be replaced without removing the complete housing. Don't have any experience though to confirm this. However, it could have been easier to remove the complete housing to replace it, so then the belt would be removed. Really need to try and find the original invoice for the replacement or try to get the dealership to go back and find it and print it for you.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Drove to work this morning which is about a 25mi trip. Hasn’t overheated. The engine bay wasn’t wiped down and has coolant all over. Reservoir is above the full marking specified by the manual.

When I picked up the car the service department was closed so I wasn’t able to speak to anyone. I really hope if there was a mistake done on their behalf that things can be made right by them versus me have to eat a $600+ bill for something that should’ve been done the right way the first time. If the car needed a repair and it was out of warranty or a result of having a modification done to the car then I’d assume full responsibility.

I misplaced the work invoice for when they did the warranty work on the thermostat but they stated they only replaced the thermostat and not the whole housing. Can someone explain to me if the tech would need to have touched the water pump or belt at all for the install of the thermostat and if not, would that have been easy for him to observe that the belt appeared to be rubbing and addressed it then?

Water pump or belt, both are required to be removed and replaced onto new thermostat housing. Black housing is the thermostat housing. Waterpump is bolted to the housing. Belt needs to be removed in order to remove the water pump.

Attachments

• 2020-08-13 08.59.19 www.partsgeek.com 529fe68db7b3.png
    2020-08-13 08.59.19 www.partsgeek.com 529fe68db7b3.png
    475.9 KB · Views: 108

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
That belt!!! Was it put on backwards (inside out)? WTF!

carlos181

Passed Driver's Ed
Water pump or belt, both are required to be removed and replaced onto new thermostat housing. Black housing is the thermostat housing. Waterpump is bolted to the housing. Belt needs to be removed in order to remove the water pump.
Just to clarify are you saying that if the thermostat needed to be replaced that the housing itself would need to be replaced as a whole unit with a new water pump and belt?

carlos181

Passed Driver's Ed
My work schedule is 6am-6pm and I hardly ever get off work on time so I’d only be able to go in person this Saturday. I really want them to handle it in house rather me have to reach out to corporate about it. I just got off the phone with the service advisor and she seemed very understanding of the situation and told me she’d have the service manager look into it with the technician. Now don’t know if they’re just going to give me a run around but I want to give them a fair chance.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Just to clarify are you saying that if the thermostat needed to be replaced that the housing itself would need to be replaced as a whole unit with a new water pump and belt?

If the thermostat housing is leaking, they replace the whole housing (because the thermostat cannot be separated to the best of my knowledge). They take the water pump and belt off, and put it on the new thermostat housing. You have to physically remove the whole assembly in order to do any such work. AKA, they screwed up your belt install.

carlos181

Passed Driver's Ed
If the thermostat housing is leaking, they replace the whole housing (because the thermostat cannot be separated to the best of my knowledge). They take the water pump and belt off, and put it on the new thermostat housing. You have to physically remove the whole assembly in order to do any such work. AKA, they screwed up your belt install.
You’re the man! I really appreciate the help.

carlos181

Passed Driver's Ed
Found the previous repair invoice. Looking back at it I absolutely regret not just installing the spark plugs myself but I figured the car was going in anyways for an alignment so I might as well have it done there. And I’m also extremely lazy and paranoid when working on certain parts on my car.. Money horribly spent. Especially giving the current situation as a result of the repair.

I was explained that since I had aftermarket parts I’d get charged for an hour labor on the thermostat repair. Not sure what aftermarket part they needed to remove to do the repair. All my parts are basic bolt ons. Happy that the thermostat was covered under warranty I thought to myself it could’ve been worse so I agreed to the repair. When they told me it was leaking I assumed the worst. Technician explained after the repair that he observed residue as a result of a small leak but was not extreme. Never overheated. Never lost coolant. When I got the car I got the low coolant light so doesn’t appear he bled the system all the way.

Haven’t heard from them since. I would’ve really appreciated it if the service manager made the effort to reach out to me and reassure that it would get looked into and perhaps hear me out personally to explain the situation directly to him. I‘m thinking by Saturday I should reach out to VW directly and avoid any communication with the dealership. It’s to the point where I can not trust to bring the vehicle back to them for any future repairs and take my chances at a reputable performance shop I have had good experiences with and recommended by other MK7 owners. Only reason I go to a dealer is for warranty work.

Attachments

• DF20D21D-48CC-4FB2-9256-22E78F2EEFC1.jpeg
    DF20D21D-48CC-4FB2-9256-22E78F2EEFC1.jpeg
    558.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 50595B63-DA68-4302-8B06-ED5F39140F62.jpeg
    50595B63-DA68-4302-8B06-ED5F39140F62.jpeg
    657.1 KB · Views: 91