GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Over rev manual

gtiowner301

I was driving aggressively on the highway in 3rd and went to grab 4th, but car went into 2nd. It feels as if the gap between 2nd and 4th is not that defined anymore and may be worse since I over reved. Car seems to be driving fine but only drove for about 20 minutes after. How can I tell if I have caused any damage to the engine or transmission?

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
If nothing noticeable during driving then you'd want to do a transmission fluid flush/change. Check for any metal debris to see if you damaged anything but honestly if it drives ok then you might be fine for now. "Money" shifts happen.

Regarding the gap I would check your side to side cable endlink. It could need adjust/better bushings or anything. Best would just be to go diesel geek sigma 6 shifter cause that will give you full control and low risk of it slipping. It'll stay pretty consistent

GTI-CAL

Passed Driver's Ed
Well did the rpms go well past redline when you went into 2nd? GTI has stupid long gears so I dont think you did any damage unless you were at the top of 3rd when you money shifted.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I was close to top of 3rd. Happend so quick, don’t even know if I had released clutch all the way, but yes it was past red line
I had let my brother in law drive mine after I updated a map 6 on my jb4. Was at the very top of 3rd and money shifted to 2nd. Was only a split second off the clutch before he quickly pressed the clutch and found 4th. I had my phone logging during the event. My jb4 seen 7776 rpm. Luckily no damage and nothing in the oil or trans fluid. Definitely a scary feeling.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
one of those not good but you can't do anything about it incidents. You would have noticed if you did anything catastrophic to it.

Mud

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
If you were going 90mph when you shifted something really bad would have happened.

If you were only going 70 or so that's like the -absolute- top of 2nd. So while not good it's not explode engine bad. These gears are super tall

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
I had a MK7 R 2014 for 4 years. Did the trick with putting it in 2 gear instead of 4 from 3 on a track day. The tachometer showed about 7500 or so, didn’t totally released the clutch pedal, quickly pressed it down. No other impact than a fault message something with overrev. in engine module. Resetted it with VCDS. The engine worked fine and still does. My son have the car now.

Don’t worry! If you haven’t noticed anything (lost of power or so) I suppose everything is as it should.

/Peter

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Ahh, money shift. Usually magazine publishers do that on their test drives as they are unfamiliar with the new cars yet they drive them aggressively often.

Mechanical over-rev is one easy way to kill your engine.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
I know Hyundai over revs there engines during testing, guessing vw does the same. Anything below 8,000rpm probably/hopefully won’t damage it.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
......... Anything below 8,000rpm probably/hopefully won’t damage it.

Agree.

Money shift – confirmation of disaster /response time about 1 to 5 seconds, then you will know ?!

/Peter

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
A tip to prevent this from happening: Grab the shifter with the palm of your hand facing TOWARDS your body when putting it in 1st or 2nd. Gears 3-6 grab the shifter with your palm facing the passenger side.

You'll be a lot less likely to accidentally shift into 2nd, especially from 3rd gear (should be virtually impossible lol). The longer you practice it the more memory muscles build up and blah blah blah

Last edited:

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
If you haven't noticed anything by now, probably good.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I did the same thing in my SVT Focus like 15 years ago....at around 70mph, I grabbed the wrong gear. It started to run like a diesel almost immediately and then died trying to limp it home.
Turned out that the motor didn't like being rev'd to 9-10k RPM's and bent all the valves on the head
Luckily, and I'm not sure how, it was covered under warranty LOL

But yeah...you would've noticed any damage by now