GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Outer Tail lights Not Working

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Coding doesn’t look suspicious. Can you continuity check the brown wire to ground/chassis w/ a multimeter?

If there is connection code the following:
Lasttyp18 to 9-allgemeine Glühlampe 27W; auch H15
Lichtfunktion A18 to 100% aktiv
Dimmwert A18 to 100
Lichtansteuerung HD AB18 always

Does that turn the outer left light on continuously?

Cory7R

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Coding doesn’t look suspicious. Can you continuity check the brown wire to ground/chassis w/ a multimeter?

Dimmwert A18 to 100

image.jpg

here’s what’s going on under all that electrical tape on the passenger sideif that helps at all. I wasn’t able to get continuity with the brown but it’s think I’m just not getting a good enough connection with my multimeter leads.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Oh oh that’s no good!

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Something is messed up completely

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
OH lord! :O
Well, good thing is you're already talking to the best source on the subject! Good luck - definitely some custom "wiring" by the previous owner!

Cory7R

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R

Dimmwert A18 to 100

That coding did not get the light to turn on

Cory7R

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
OH lord! :O
Well, good thing is you're already talking to the best source on the subject! Good luck - definitely some custom "wiring" by the previous owner!
Thing is previous owner didn’t do any wiring. It was all a VW dealership!

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Don’t know how your wiring knowledge is. If I were you I would take the trunk apart and follow the custom wiring until I find the factory wires. Get some repair wires and reconnect to factory standards.
Other option is to find a knowledgeable dealer and let them do it.
Let me know if you need further information about the correct wire colors...

Cory7R

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Don’t know how your wiring knowledge is. If I were you I would take the trunk apart and follow the custom wiring until I find the factory wires. Get some repair wires and reconnect to factory standards.
Other option is to find a knowledgeable dealer and let them do it.
Let me know if you need further information about the correct wire colors...
honestly the only wiring knowledge i have is of fighter jets. but i can feel my way through schematics and wiring diagrams.
if i were to go about restoring the wiring to factory where would i find the diagrams and such?
also how big of a job money-wise would it be for a dealership to fix it?

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Let's make it easy. From the factory there are three wires on each outer light.
Outer-Left: black/red to Pin1 = Leuchte20, brown to Pin2 = ground, grey/black to Pin4 = Leuchte27
Outer-Right: black/purple to Pin1 = Leuchte21, brown to Pin2 = ground, grey/black to Pin4 = Leuchte27
That's it. Simple, right? Now it's on you :).

I don't know how much a dealer charges you for taking everything apart. Identifying non factory wires, removing them, check light functionality and reassembling.

PM sent.

Cory7R

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Let's make it easy. From the factory there are three wires on each outer light.
Outer-Left: black/red to Pin1 = Leuchte20, brown to Pin2 = ground, grey/black to Pin4 = Leuchte27
Outer-Right: black/purple to Pin1 = Leuchte21, brown to Pin2 = ground, grey/black to Pin4 = Leuchte27
That's it. Simple, right? Now it's on you :).

I don't know how much a dealer charges you for taking everything apart. Identifying non factory wires, removing them, check light functionality and reassembling.

PM sent.
when you put it that way it sure does sound simple. however, we both know it doesn't always end up that way.
ill look into quotes this week from dealers and if its anything more than a couple hundred bucks ill bite the bullet and try and so it myself.
you're a lifesaver either way and i cant thank you enough, ill be sure to follow up with any other questions i have!

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
This is when car forums are at their best, people helping others out in they're time of need. Great job ZERO815!

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
A couple of hundred dollars will maybe get you an hours work. The factory repair kit wires I've seen are short and unreasonably expensive. The connectors are just as bad. With your experience I think you can fix it yourself. Find the wiring diagrams and buy a set of pin tools, they're not expensive. If the connectors are correct that's a big help.

Cory7R

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
A couple of hundred dollars will maybe get you an hours work. The factory repair kit wires I've seen are short and unreasonably expensive. The connectors are just as bad. With your experience I think you can fix it yourself. Find the wiring diagrams and buy a set of pin tools, they're not expensive. If the connectors are correct that's a big help.
This is the kind of encouragement I need to take on this job! Thank you!