GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Building Otto

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I know they are little heavier (still sub-20lbs) but I can get 17x8 Bremmer Kraft BR16s with tires for a pretty silly price right now. And they are bronze which is a bonus.

Weighing that option currently.

Also, I think I've simplified my suspension setup. Bilstein B8's with Neuspeed Sport springs. New strut mounts and bearings. And that's a wrap. I don't need the complexity that coilovers bring in my life and I like what I've seen from the B8/Neuspeed pairing.

So, we're calling that progress today.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I know they are little heavier (still sub-20lbs) but I can get 17x8 Bremmer Kraft BR16s with tires for a pretty silly price right now. And they are bronze which is a bonus.

Weighing that option currently.
If price is the primary factor and the deal really is that good, then I won't do much to try and dissuade you. However, for a 17x8 wheel you can really be in the low 17s for weight, and that will absolutely make a noticeable difference day-to-day.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
If price is the primary factor and the deal really is that good, then I won't do much to try and dissuade you. However, for a 17x8 wheel you can really be in the low 17s for weight, and that will absolutely make a noticeable difference day-to-day.

I thought you might say something like that haha. I'm perpetually window shopping for wheels, I'm wiling to wait until the perfect wheel comes around. Perfect would be the right color, design, and weight (and will be 17")

Cleaned up the "to-do list" in the OP a little bit. Narrowed down the field on a few things.

Will be ordering the shift knob, short shifter, PowerFlex hybrid mount, Intake, and TIP either today or tomorrow.
Second round will be RSB and end links a few weeks later.
Still thinking suspension and wheels will wait until Spring but I won't pass up a good deal if one comes along sooner. Hoping for some holiday sales to come around.

In the meantime I've just been looking for excuses to drive the thing...having no where to go is rough!

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I thought you might say something like that haha. I'm perpetually window shopping for wheels, I'm wiling to wait until the perfect wheel comes around. Perfect would be the right color, design, and weight (and will be 17")

Cleaned up the "to-do list" in the OP a little bit. Narrowed down the field on a few things.

Will be ordering the shift knob, short shifter, PowerFlex hybrid mount, Intake, and TIP either today or tomorrow.
Second round will be RSB and end links a few weeks later.
Still thinking suspension and wheels will wait until Spring but I won't pass up a good deal if one comes along sooner. Hoping for some holiday sales to come around.

In the meantime I've just been looking for excuses to drive the thing...having no where to go is rough!
Is the hybrid mount you're referring to the one for the dogbone mount? If so, I have that and really enjoy it. Mines been great since day 1.

Totally understand the hesitation on wheels, they have such an impact on look and can easily be the most expensive mod. No harm in taking your time

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Is the hybrid mount you're referring to the one for the dogbone mount? If so, I have that and really enjoy it. Mines been great since day 1.

Yep it's that one. I forget where I first read about it but I just read through a whole long thread here discussing it yesterday and it seemed like a no brainer.

Did you upgrade your dogbone too? Seems like some people don't think it's necessary and some people still do. But also, that some arms are not compatible with the PowerFlex for some reason.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Yep it's that one. I forget where I first read about it but I just read through a whole long thread here discussing it yesterday and it seemed like a no brainer.

Did you upgrade your dogbone too? Seems like some people don't think it's necessary and some people still do. But also, that some arms are not compatible with the PowerFlex for some reason.
I didn't upgrade the arm or anything. I'm running stock power and stock engine and trans mounts (for now), so I didn't see a reason to change the arm. I primarily got the dogbone to help with wheelhop (which is does, a little) and throttle response (which is definitely does)

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I didn't upgrade the arm or anything. I'm running stock power and stock engine and trans mounts (for now), so I didn't see a reason to change the arm. I primarily got the dogbone to help with wheelhop (which is does, a little) and throttle response (which is definitely does)

Makes sense. I miss the heavy duro rear mount in my old car, throttle response was crazy good after I installed that.

I'll probably only do the powerflex bushing/insert then, the arm doesn't seem to be the weak link, the stock bushings are. I do suspect I'll end up replacing the other two mounts at some point because I just love the way a firmly mounted car feels but that's not high on the priority list yet.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Purchased the PowerFlex hybrid mount, the Boomba short shift kit and the IE turbo inlet pipe today. Took pause on the shift knob as after tax and shipping it was going to be $200. That's a tough pill to swallow for a shift knob.

The intake I want is backordered by IE right now or I'd have that purchased already too. Want to do that plus the short shift kit plus the bleeder block diaphragm delete all at once.

Also added some Aerofabb / Flowdesign exterior goodies to the list for the future.

Last edited:

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
17 x 8.5, +42mm too much poke? Whichever version of Motegi Traklites just popped up for pre-order on TireRack come that size in VW bolt pattern and are available mid-October.

I believe it's roughly 20mm out from stock fitment, which seems like it'd be just about right?

bfury5

Autocross Champion
17 x 8.5, +42mm too much poke? Whichever version of Motegi Traklites just popped up for pre-order on TireRack come that size in VW bolt pattern and are available mid-October.

I believe it's roughly 20mm out from stock fitment, which seems like it'd be just about right?
Nope, I run Motegi MR146 17x8.5 ET42 and it's pretty perfect fit

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
So finally did something...

Got the shift knob on. Cutting the boot off the OEM knob was a pain, and I don't love how the boot installs to the adapter (zip tie) but if it lasts then it's fine. Didn't install it as low as I could've but it's pretty low, it feels like I cut the throw in half. But it dips into each gate perfectly and it looks nice.

In other news - got a good deal locally on some Motegi MR140's with tires so I bought those. Not as light as traklites but ~19lbs is nothing to sneeze at.

Also decided on an intercooler. Going to go do88 once I pay off everything else I've just bought.

Thoughts on the ECS Tuning catback (non-valved)? I don't see anything good or bad about it. I don't really see anything about it. Sounds nice and is one of the few catbacks that's not outrageously priced. Thinking that'll be the go-to soon enough.

Attachments

• IMG_20200910_143008.jpg
    IMG_20200910_143008.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20200910_143012.jpg
    IMG_20200910_143012.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 133

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Clutch will also be something to plan or save for at some point.

For sure. I have the money set aside already, and I know where I'll take it to get replaced, but I'm going to wait until the stocker has kicked the bucket before replacing it.

On the MS3 platform there was so much emphasis on preserving the stock rods that we had rules, like no WOT below 3k rpm in 4th or 5th gear and no WOT at all in 6th gear. I drove it that way for so long that I still drive that way. Most tuners shifted the torque curve to prevent too much load at low RPM as well. Deep inside of me I believe those habits will stick and I'll get some decent life out of the stock clutch because of it.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Just did the math on the wheel and tire set up.

Stock wheels are about 25lbs according to most online sources, and stock Potenza's are also 25lbs = 50lbs / corner.

Motegi's are 19.4lbs and the General G-Max in 235/40/18 guise are 22lbs = 41.4lbs / corner.

Not too bad given the price on the wheel and tire set up.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
That’s almost a bag of sugar less on each axle to churn. If you want to test it, just laterally hold up a bag of sugar in each hand and come to a conclusion 👌