GOLFMKV

OT #25 : FAKE Off Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

aregister

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Hybrid Jetta 2013
again, I'm willing to mostly ignore that - If you don't actually "shop" at the grocery store and just grab what you need you can be in and out really quickly. (also if you don't bring a woman with you :lol:)
Lol Damn women. Taking forever to make decisions and everything. And at this point, The forum has marked me as a sexist for sure. ..

Bender1

Banned
Just me and it's probably a little high but for the sake of conversation it's a safe estimate. Real cost is probably more like $120-150 since I usually skip lunch these days and don't drink like I used to.

We are fairly similar. Our joint budget is $450 but that includes at least one nice dinner out a month ($100-ish - we were doing like 4 of those a month in the early fall when we were not paying attention, yikes) and we consistently come in under that.

We do all our shopping at Trader Joes and Wegmans and end up spending a bit more than we would have to otherwise because of the split households and the waste that creates. Looking my budget we have averaged $75 a week at the supermarkets over the last 6 months (again, for two).

So - dollar costs are about the same. Its really about the time. That is not comparable. Its just about how you frame it for yourself. If you decide you dont hate it, you wont hate it. Also, you can't claim McDonalds is as healthy as a home cooked meal with a straight face.

Bender1

Banned
The time spent grocery shopping can't be discounted either. Because you can't cook meals at home without going grocery shopping. That's another 1-1/2 to 2 hours per week or so that you have to plan in

TWO HOURS TO SHOP?!? WTF are you doing there? 45 minutes, max. 15 minutes to make a list prior. An hour total time.

again, I'm willing to mostly ignore that - If you don't actually "shop" at the grocery store and just grab what you need you can be in and out really quickly. (also if you don't bring a woman with you :lol:)

This. Though my wife is the efficient one there. I get distracted.

aregister

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Hybrid Jetta 2013
TWO HOURS TO SHOP?!? WTF are you doing there? 45 minutes, max. 15 minutes to make a list prior. An hour total time.
Idk man, I hit that produce aisle and its all downhill from there... then I get to the home goods and cleaning supplies and I'm like, "oh yeah, I totally needed febreze! "

Bender1

Banned
Idk man, I hit that produce aisle and its all downhill from there... then I get to the home goods and cleaning supplies and I'm like, "oh yeah, I totally needed febreze! "

make a list man. Most grocery stores even have apps that organize it all for you and tell you the bonus buys.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
fuckin trader joes, I love that place - nearest one is an hour away now and in PA they don't even get to sell wine :cry:

I make local grocery store trips in 20 minutes door to door when I'm alone (5 min drive on either end plus 10 mins in store), if I bring "help" it's more like an hour plus :lol:

Can you actually price out one of those meals Bender? i.e. the first one you posted - that's pretty impressive it's not hugely more expensive than my shit.

In truth we rarely go out because I'm cheap and don't mind cooking if I get to choose the meal and do it alone (this ensure's it's cheap and fast).

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
I would love to see evidence on something like this. (seriously - why do you say that? Common "wisom" is not sufficient)

My uncle has similar eating habits to you. Not mcdonalds, but fried greasy food with no exercise. A little overweight, but not drastic for his age.
During Christmas he looked completely healthy. Fast forward to last week.
He had a stroke and went to the hospital.
Turns out blockage in his arteries. They wanted to put a stent, but he already had one from a previous visit. . . . And a pacemaker. They did something to temp solve the problem.
Basically, we are preparing for his funeral sometime this year. That is the sad reality.

aregister

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Hybrid Jetta 2013
make a list man. Most grocery stores even have apps that organize it all for you and tell you the bonus buys.
Do you go in hungry? Or does that matter to you. Cuz if I go in hungry, i spend more, but take less time, Cuz I'm hungry!

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
OF NEEK

OH HI GREG. :wub:

Bender1

Banned
fuckin trader joes, I love that place - nearest one is an hour away now and in PA they don't even get to sell wine :cry:

I make local grocery store trips in 20 minutes door to door when I'm alone (5 min drive on either end plus 10 mins in store), if I bring "help" it's more like an hour plus :lol:

Can you actually price out one of those meal's Bender? i.e. the first one you posted - that's pretty impressive it's not hugely more expensive than my shit.

In truth we rarely go out because I'm cheap and don't mind cooking if I get to choose the meal and do it alone (this ensure's it's cheap and fast).

Sure thing Troy -

Big Bag of Kale (used for 3 Kale salads and 5 smoothies in a week) - $3.50 (.44 cents a serving)
Beef Tenderloin - about $12 a pound (so $3 a serving - Organic grass fed will be about 50 cents more a serving)
Carrots and Potatoes - $1 for the carrots and $2.50 for the potatoes a pound of each (.44 cents a serving)

so thats $3.88 - add in a buck or two for miscellaneous staples you always I need in the house (olive oil, random fruit and dressings for the salads, seasonings).

$5.88 total

Worst case you are looking at $6.50 per person for that meal. Now, you definitely do better cooking for two, and you need to be honest with serving sizes. It is pretty damn easy to overcook and waste. It will take you a few weeks to figure that out. I say if you have two, cook for four, and pull away two servings for lunch tomorrow PRIOR to sitting down to eat.

Bender1

Banned
Do you go in hungry? Or does that matter to you. Cuz if I go in hungry, i spend more, but take less time, Cuz I'm hungry!

Rarely, but it doesnt matter. The list is the list is the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.