GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Osram MK7 headlight housings - interested?

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
How did you guys route the passenger side wiring ?? The wire is just a little too short to wrap to sides and back. Right now it’s just zip tied and floating to a couple anchor points but I don’t like it and if all this does is let them be on without turning the headlight switch then I may unhook them from battery terminals

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
How did you guys route the passenger side wiring ?? The wire is just a little too short to wrap to sides and back. Right now it’s just zip tied and floating to a couple anchor points but I don’t like it and if all this does is let them be on without turning the headlight switch then I may unhook them from battery terminals
I routed mine up the fender and under the rain tray. Comes out above the battery

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
if you dont mind do you mind sharing a photo of how you ran yours when you get a chance? no rush

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
1656366528471.png

perhaps my terminology wasn't perfect but basically you unscrew the third nut and place the two headlight wires there and re tighten it down to clamp them down... then I routed the wiring with the rest and put the plastic covers back on. it looks as good as it can but theres excess wiring from the headlights just chilling there now. . . because I have them wired up this way, the length of the cable of the passenger side headlight is not long enough to route the long way (around the sides, where most of the oem cabling is) and I have to unfortunately route it across the front of the car which makes me uncomfortable because there doesn't really seem to be an elegant way of doing it.

im going to buy a plastic battery cover from Ali which may tidy up the appearance of two headlight cables connected to the battery and then ill switch up the wiring when I get that product, because I dont really like the idea of random wires attached to a battery when you pop the hood, at least so explicitly exposed. it looks like a cheap install for 900 dollar headlights, imo.

woodardhsd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S DSG
I zip tied mine through the front grill area tucked underneath the plastic. It's basically invisible.
This. I also wrapped mine in Tesa tape to make it look as OEM as possible. If I had done it before installing I could have gotten the wrap to completely cover the red wire, but there is a little exposed where it comes out of the back of the housing.

As far as the fuse box connections, you can tie directly into the lugs as the front of the fuse box (as circled in red above), or you can add new circuits w/fuses into the panel itself. It's a much cleaner look that way https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...usings-interested.357986/page-27#post-7802440

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
good call on the tape. on a side note, I touched the wires after the car was off for a little while and they were still very hot to the touch. im kind of surprised that the heat sink tubing material they use is sufficient enough not to burn anything, it seems like they could have used something thicker

tbell6

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Got mine installed over the weekend. Not as bad as I thought although I did it without removing the bumper.

Was a bit disappointed though the screw holding my passenger side light was missing. I assume the body shop removed it and forgot to put it back two years ago when they replaced my fender 🤦‍♂️

Attachments

• 57380824-B9FA-4C56-A640-3812019427B9.jpeg
    57380824-B9FA-4C56-A640-3812019427B9.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 165
  • E255BD53-A62D-41DF-8730-913F16CA0A70.jpeg
    E255BD53-A62D-41DF-8730-913F16CA0A70.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 170

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Got mine installed over the weekend. Not as bad as I thought although I did it without removing the bumper.

Was a bit disappointed though the screw holding my passenger side light was missing. I assume the body shop removed it and forgot to put it back two years ago when they replaced my fender 🤦‍♂️
Had a similar issue. The headlight screws are only a couple bucks each from the dealer.

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5

if you didn't install these yourself, the lights come with a special screw that that OEM one will not fit with this set. it sounds like they discarded it thinking they could re use the oem one. the oem will fit, but it will spin freely and not catch the bottom of the threads. this is probably the one that is missing (the one farthest back, right?)

tbell6

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI
if you didn't install these yourself, the lights come with a special screw that that OEM one will not fit with this set. it sounds like they discarded it thinking they could re use the oem one. the oem will fit, but it will spin freely and not catch the bottom of the threads. this is probably the one that is missing (the one farthest back, right?)
Yeah I put them in myself over the weekend. The missing screw was the one mounted on the side of the car behind the front bumper.

I had a tree branch take the fender on that side out about 2 years ago so I’m thinking the body shop I took it to back then probably took that screw out and didn’t put it back or something. Shouldn’t be a big deal I’ll just pick one up I guess 🤷‍♂️

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Eyeing these. Couple of questions:

1. Are bulbs replaceable if they go out?
2. Is this the German website where people order them?
https://www.blauertacho4u.de/osram-...lift-2017-2020-full-led-scheinwerfer-gti.html
3. Are the lights just drop in and plug and play? Any errors? Any additional wiring needed?
4. Are there adjustment screws/knobs?
5. Any issues with condensation?
6. Can DRLs be kept on while the blinker is on?
7. How do these lights compare to the BMP Tuning ones?

Thanks.

GreatFallsofGreen

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GFG 7.5, 6MT
Eyeing these. Couple of questions:

1. Are bulbs replaceable if they go out?
2. Is this the German website where people order them?
https://www.blauertacho4u.de/osram-...lift-2017-2020-full-led-scheinwerfer-gti.html
3. Are the lights just drop in and plug and play? Any errors? Any additional wiring needed?
4. Are there adjustment screws/knobs?
5. Any issues with condensation?
6. Can DRLs be kept on while the blinker is on?
7. How do these lights compare to the BMP Tuning ones?

Thanks.
1. I don’t think so
2.yes!
3. 100% plug and play. I don’t have any scanning tools to determine if the car has any faults. Nothing extra besides what is provided is needed
4. Yes. In fact, unlike the Ed’s lights, the adjustments are identical to OEM
5. No
6. No the DRL will turn off when the signal comes on.
7. Never had BMP lights, but as I understand, they’re rebranded versions of Ed’s. Osrams are totally superior as Ed’s have figment issues in the OEM housing, jittery lights with confusing and brittle adjustments, hard to see turn signals, and light leak from the sides of the housings. I ran Ed’s for about 6 months and was dissatisfied with the overall quality. I think Osrams are worth their expensive price.