GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Osram MK7 headlight housings - interested?

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Got the osrams installed Saturday morning, took about 3 hours working by myself. I swear I spend 30-45 minutes just figuring out how to remove the grill. Still working on getting the aiming dialed in just right.

I do have a question. When installing, did any of you mess with this large height adjustment bolt? My OEM one was in a similar position. My new ones, however, were much more unscrewed than that. The threaded part was flush with the bottom of the plastic tab, not protruding at all. To get the correct height between the bumper support and the bottom of the housing, I had to screw in that bolt around 2.5 turns. I'm wondering if I didn't turn it enough because I had to make a huge adjustment to the aiming screw to get them close to factory. I probably made 6 full turns of the vertical screw. I was worried I was going to reach a stop somewhere, or the gear was going to pop off inside.

I didn't touch that height adjustment bolt. If it is mainly used for fitment of the lights with the bumper, mine actually had better fitment than stock. I don't remember having to make too many adjustments to the height, but I did have to raise both light patterns up a bit. I also had to do a little tweaking of the side/side pattern. If I remember, I brought both sides inwards a bit as well

woodardhsd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S DSG
I didn't touch that height adjustment bolt. If it is mainly used for fitment of the lights with the bumper, mine actually had better fitment than stock. I don't remember having to make too many adjustments to the height, but I did have to raise both light patterns up a bit. I also had to do a little tweaking of the side/side pattern. If I remember, I brought both sides inwards a bit as well
I took a bunch of measurements to make sure the corner of the housing closest to the grill was in the exact same position as it was stock. I measured from the bumper support up to the bottom, as well as from some part where the top of the bumper attaches. I did all that after the bumper was off so I didn't have any reference to the gaps between the stock headlights and the bumper/hood. I do feel like the housing could come up a little more because the gap between the hood and the housing seems a little larger.

woodardhsd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S DSG
A few people have mentioned running the power wires directly to the fuse box area instead of to the battery terminal. Is this where you are running the wires to? (pic below) I'm not super happy with how my wires are running currently, basically running from behind the coolant reservoir and across the area where the o2 wire runs.

Attachments

• pushout.JPG
    pushout.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 135

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Yes, my wiring comes up into that area... I have plans but have been too lazy to add fuses to that fusebox. My S does not have brackets or bus bars in the middle though, so I've gotta get part numbers.

Jeff_DML

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Has anyone upgraded from Ed's lights to these and happy with the upgrade?

I had ed's and I am very unhappy with their light output and pattern. Now they are starting to peel so thinking of getting these from my 7.5.

TIA and sorry if already buried in this thread

GreatFallsofGreen

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GFG 7.5, 6MT
Yea I actually sold my old “Ed’s” for these about a year ago. Between the light leak, being jittery over bumps, and how small the front signal was to opposing traffic I was disappointed.

Osrams are way better in terms of quality and construction.

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
Yea I actually sold my old “Ed’s” for these about a year ago. Between the light leak, being jittery over bumps, and how small the front signal was to opposing traffic I was disappointed.

Osrams are way better in terms of quality and construction.
Not even comparable, OSRAM is OEM+, Ed's are not even the same solar system let alone ballpark.

woodardhsd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S DSG
What about the BMP led's? I actually like the look of them more than the Osram's, but I thought they had been discontinued. Of course they came back in stock as soon as I ordered.

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
What about the BMP led's? I actually like the look of them more than the Osram's, but I thought they had been discontinued. Of course they came back in stock as soon as I ordered.
So far as I have seen literally all of the other brands of aftermarket headlights are le garbage. You have two options IMO. 1) Osram 2) OEM swap. All the other headlights on the market have the light output of a wax candle, shitty plastic lenses that turn the same shade as a school bus's paint as soon they are exposed to daylight, and more moisture intrusion issues than the Titanic post iceberg collision.

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Hey guys, I just need a sanity check before I drop some money for these, buying for my 2015 mk7 Autobahn (pre-facelift). I'm not sure if it matters but it's the 2-door model with no fog lights at all. I'm pretty sure my 2015 is full halogen, am I wrong? I don't want to make an expensive mistake.
  1. Option 1
  2. Option 2
Cheers,

Last edited:

woodardhsd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S DSG
Red car is halogen, black car is xenon

Attachments

• halogen.JPG
    halogen.JPG