GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Osram MK7 headlight housings - interested?

thethickness

Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI
Has anyone in North America dealt with overseas Osram regarding warranty issues? My driver side headlight is having condensation issues, and as of this week, it's killed the DRL/horseshoe light pipes. Low beam/high beam/indicator LEDs are still functioning fine. I cleared codes; it fixed nothing.

Needless to say, I'm none too pleased that this light barely made it a year. If anyone has a contact over in Europe, that would be AWESOME!

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Has anyone in North America dealt with overseas Osram regarding warranty issues? My driver side headlight is having condensation issues, and as of this week, it's killed the DRL/horseshoe light pipes. Low beam/high beam/indicator LEDs are still functioning fine. I cleared codes; it fixed nothing.

Needless to say, I'm none too pleased that this light barely made it a year. If anyone has a contact over in Europe, that would be AWESOME!

Hmm, I kinda thought through this in case I had any issues with them. The best practice I would think is to reach out to the company you bought them from first to see if they would work with Osram on your behalf. I'm sure Osram will stand behind their warranty claim... but they may be hesitant shipping a replacement to the states (especially since they may want your defective light as a return).

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

thethickness

Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI
Hmm, I kinda thought through this in case I had any issues with them. The best practice I would think is to reach out to the company you bought them from first to see if they would work with Osram on your behalf. I'm sure Osram will stand behind their warranty claim... but they may be hesitant shipping a replacement to the states (especially since they may want your defective light as a return).

I considered it too. Wayyyy back in this thread (it might even be on a different board), I believe there were some folks in the states who had issues with the very early sets (including condensation) and I got the impression that Osram wasn't terrible to work with.

I don't particularly want to be the guinea pig who tears one of these open to replace an LED diode, but worst case scenario...LED lighting systems aren't terribly complicated and I know people who can get me a replacement light or driver, so I'll be sure to document it in here :p

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI

swedewin

Car(s)
GTI PP 2018

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
I've had these for over a year. No water intrusion or UV fading to speak of. Light output is fantastic compared to OEM. Cost was around $1200 shipped IIRC. Shipping took forever, probably 4-5 months from purchase. I also bought off of ebay from Blauertacho. (very helpful and communicative seller) For anyone on the fence I would definitely recommend them.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Mine are coming up on 2 years old, still look and work like new. I'm in SoCal so a report about water intrusion means little from me, haha.

Below is a snip from a post I made over on TDiClub. It was mentioned that the Osrams were "crazy expensive" compared to other options (BEC's, etc).

"That eBay link is crazy expensive. I bought mine from http://www.mytuning24.de/osram/OSRAM-LEDriving-XENARC-VW-Golf-VI-6/vw-golf-7/ and right now they are 672 euro (remember to remove VAT). I paid another 100 euro for DHL express shipping and got them in 4 days from Germany but you could choose slower/cheaper shipping.

Assuming the same 40 euro shipping cost the Osrams are $840 from mytuning24.de right now, versus $1,110 from eBay." I don't actually know if mytuning will give you a 40 euro slow boat option but even assuming you pay for the DHL express shipping they're about $915.

I 100% recommend the Osrams but I wouldn't get them on eBay. It's more expensive and slower to ship. Plus you might have to deal with eBay first if there is an issue.

thethickness

Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI
Quick update:

Over a week now and still no response from Osram besides an automated message from their CRM system notifying me of extended response times due to current conditions in Germany. I haven't been paying much attention to the news, so as of this morning I *completely* understand why they're not getting back to me—Germany's under strict covid restrictions for another (renewed) two weeks and the CS folks at Osram likely aren't working at the moment.

I think I may tinker with it this weekend to see what went wrong.

fredothechimp

Passed Driver's Ed

My original pair had a defective left side light, contacted the vendor and they put me in touch with OSRAM, here is the contact: M.Kuebler@osram.com (This was in 2019).

They sent me a replacement light in about a week.