GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Osram MK7 headlight housings - interested?

ginsy

Ready to race!
Have you received/installed yours yet?
Got them on Friday last week! I havent had a chance to install them, temps were in the single digits for a few days and its been rain/snow/cold pretty much since. Hoping to get them in this weekend. Do you have pictures of how you routed the wires to the battery? And, has your fogging issue gone away?

cblock406

Ready to race!
Got them on Friday last week! I havent had a chance to install them, temps were in the single digits for a few days and its been rain/snow/cold pretty much since. Hoping to get them in this weekend. Do you have pictures of how you routed the wires to the battery? And, has your fogging issue gone away?

Nice! I don't have any bay pics but it's easy to route the passenger cable around, I just zip-tied it in a few places. I've been planning to cut the harness down on the driver side (it's way too long) but haven't done it yet. I think the fogging is pretty minimal if not completely gone now.

Post some pics once you get them installed!

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
I messaged Osram about the inner lights and this is word for word the response I got...

"The inner projector does not have any function. There is no light source integrated."

Seems pretty weird to me they put a faux projector in them just for looks. I'll have to check the housing closer and see if there is access and/or a bulb wired to it.
what a waste, they could've doubled up projectors and made it stupid bright.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
what a waste, they could've doubled up projectors and made it stupid bright.

I think it's due to overall light output restrictions with ECE-approved headlamps. After a certain brightness, it seems like headlamps require integrated washers.
Which, if you're an aftermarket manufacturer of headlamps that's not really feasible so they probably just called it good after the one projector.

Be a cool upgrade if you wanted outrageous lighting. Pop open the lens on the Osrams and look into getting the other projector working

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Quick question for you all that have ordered these lights from overseas, did you have to pay the 20% VAT?

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Niceee, good deal. I messaged "blauertacho4u.de" about it since I wasn't sure if their checkout process was different without VAT, but they have yet to respond.

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
For those who ordered it from blauertacho4u, how much did you end up paying in euros? If you don't mind sharing.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Lights were 671.55 before DHL and paypal fees. Total with shipping and paypal was 760 Euro when I ordered mine back in October for the MK7 version.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
... And I thought I got a good deal
Decided on them due to the price mainly. I was looking to do an OEM Bi-xenon retrofit, but the cheapest I could find the GSW Bi-xenons was $560 USD a light - And that was without modules. I could have gotten Euro R Xenon's from Eacca for cheaper than that, but then I found the Osrams and Zero's posts on them.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
For those who ordered it from blauertacho4u, how much did you end up paying in euros? If you don't mind sharing.
I am ordering mine from their site now. It looks like the total has come out to 903 euros. This includes Paypal fees of 50 euros, and shipping at 120 euros (you could get the much cheaper option of 25 euros but it will be coming slow boat, expect several months waiting). The lights themselves are 783 euros without VAT. This is for the MK7.5 facelifted Osram headlights.

Edit: Just under $1,100 dollars with conversion. Don't let Paypal do the conversion, it will be like $50 or more extra due to their conversion fees.

Last edited:

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
They got here pretty quick with the DHL "Premium" option.

Got them installed yesterday. Pretty straightforward install, definitely takes some time since you have to remove the bumper (my first time doing that). Not sure if the MK7 headlights are different than the 7.5, but I don't see how it's possible to remove the headlights on the MK7.5 by just pulling the sides of the bumper due to the "hooks" in the headlights that go underneath the front of the bumper.

These lights are a pretty major improvement over the halogens IMO. They look better than OEM quality-wise, and the light output is fantastic. The light output is very close in color to the LED fogs, and they have a nice crisp cutoff line. Fitment is also better than OEM if you take the time to line everything up when installing.

I don't have any experience with Ed's or Helix headlights, so unfortunately I can't compare them, but I can 100% say they are worth the price to me.

Attachments

• IMG_1393.JPG
    IMG_1393.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 333
  • IMG_1391.JPG
    IMG_1391.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 309
  • IMG_1397.JPG
    IMG_1397.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 347