GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Osram MK7 headlight housings - interested?

cblock406

Ready to race!
Okay so it's been about a week since installing these and I have a couple of thoughts...

- They look amazing, but I really wish the chrome strip wasn't so large in them. The headlight itself is pretty dark, and at a quick glance they look very similar to the halogens (when not on).

- Its been very wet and cold(ish) here and the headlights do fog up a bit. Osram has a page on their website discussing that this is completely normal. Kind of disappointing. I'm not aware of the factory LEDs having condensation issues.

- My wife (she drives it, not me) is thrilled with the light performance and is very happy. So that's a big win.

-Admittedly I haven't done much research, but I'm very curious as to the function of the inner projector. It doesn't do anything, so I'm assuming this is a ROW feature that could be programmed? If anyone knows I'd love to hear what its function is.

All in all, I still think these are amazing and lights and am very happy with the purchase and would most definitely buy again. I've been trying to catch my wife leave and come home from work just to see them lol.

Last edited:

ginsy

Ready to race!
^^ Looks dope. Could you post up pictures of the fogging in question? I have read that people gorilla tape some desiccant to the inside of the housing on the Ed's lights, might be worth trying?

I got the black version, so the chrome strip shouldnt be a problem for me (I actually think it looks great on yours). I also have been wondering the function of the inner, on the Mk6/early Mk7 had an additional DRL in there it looked like. Is it confirmed that there are bulbs in there?

cblock406

Ready to race!
^^ Looks dope. Could you post up pictures of the fogging in question? I have read that people gorilla tape some desiccant to the inside of the housing on the Ed's lights, might be worth trying?

I got the black version, so the chrome strip shouldnt be a problem for me (I actually think it looks great on yours). I also have been wondering the function of the inner, on the Mk6/early Mk7 had an additional DRL in there it looked like. Is it confirmed that there are bulbs in there?
Are you still waiting on yours!? Yeah, silica packets are my next move.

I didn't check for a bulb but I'd be surprised if its missing. Actually, I'll just email them and ask, they've had surprisingly good communication lol.

Anyway, look forward to you getting yours and seeing some pics of the black ones. I think you will be really happy.

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
I'm not surprised about the condensation being normal, I had mine replaced once under warranty before doing some research and discovering that it's normal, and there is only a very small vent on the back of the fogs. They're still working well 40k miles and 2 years later. I also have them coded as DRLs along with the normal DRL

ginsy

Ready to race!
Are you still waiting on yours!? Yeah, silica packets are my next move.

I didn't check for a bulb but I'd be surprised if its missing. Actually, I'll just email them and ask, they've had surprisingly good communication lol.

Anyway, look forward to you getting yours and seeing some pics of the black ones. I think you will be really happy.
Yep, still waiting. No shipping update yet. My last email to them was 12/21 and it was basically right at 8 weeks. They replied saying it can take up to 9 and not to worry. Here we are at about 11... I sent another email last night.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
TBH, this is a terrible time to receive anything from Germany. I attempted to purchase a few items from Germany on Ebay. Sellers cancelled one after another due to the shipping situation to the US being a disaster. I finally found one who would ship to me and have been waiting approximately 8 weeks for the item to hit the states. Factor in the holiday season and I would be surprised if I see this item before February.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Okay so it's been about a week since installing these and I have a couple of thoughts...

- They look amazing, but I really wish the chrome strip wasn't so large in them. The headlight itself is pretty dark, and at a quick glance they look very similar to the halogens (when not on).

- Its been very wet and cold(ish) here and the headlights do fog up a bit. Osram has a page on their website discussing that this is completely normal. Kind of disappointing. I'm not aware of the factory LEDs having condensation issues.

- My wife (she drives it, not me) is thrilled with the light performance and is very happy. So that's a big win.

-Admittedly I haven't done much research, but I'm very curious as to the function of the inner projector. It doesn't do anything, so I'm assuming this is a ROW feature that could be programmed? If anyone knows I'd love to hear what its function is.

All in all, I still think these are amazing and lights and am very happy with the purchase and would most definitely buy again. I've been trying to catch my wife leave and come home from work just to see them lol.

Had some minor issues with fogging on my MK7 Osrams. The first 2 times I ran them after install there was some minor fogging on the bottom of the light around the blinker on the drivers, maybe when up to the bottom of the DRLs. Went away after I had some more hours logged with them on.

Second and only other time was the first time we got rain after they were installed. Some minor fogging the first drive in the rain, and nothing since. Nothing bad enough to distort the beams while driving, mainly around the blinkers as before.

Curious to see what you find on the inner projector. MK7's only have a LED accent there.

ginsy

Ready to race!
TBH, this is a terrible time to receive anything from Germany. I attempted to purchase a few items from Germany on Ebay. Sellers cancelled one after another due to the shipping situation to the US being a disaster. I finally found one who would ship to me and have been waiting approximately 8 weeks for the item to hit the states. Factor in the holiday season and I would be surprised if I see this item before February.

They have made it to the states, but are currently with CBP it seems. I havent been contacted by them at all yet. Does anyone know a way to contact CBP about a missing package?

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Had some minor issues with fogging on my MK7 Osrams. The first 2 times I ran them after install there was some minor fogging on the bottom of the light around the blinker on the drivers, maybe when up to the bottom of the DRLs. Went away after I had some more hours logged with them on.

Second and only other time was the first time we got rain after they were installed. Some minor fogging the first drive in the rain, and nothing since. Nothing bad enough to distort the beams while driving, mainly around the blinkers as before.

Curious to see what you find on the inner projector. MK7's only have a LED accent there.
That's the location of the cornering light. if you turn left or right far enough at speeds below 25 mph or so it'll pop on for the active headlights.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
That's the location of the cornering light. if you turn left or right far enough at speeds below 25 mph or so it'll pop on for the active headlights.
Ahh, that explains why I didn't see it with just parking lights. Upgraded to the cheap aftermarket light detector and OEM auto switch.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
yea, low speed parking maneuvers and you should see them, if they're part of the Osram light. I'm just guessing based off what the lp lights do.

cblock406

Ready to race!
I messaged Osram about the inner lights and this is word for word the response I got...

"The inner projector does not have any function. There is no light source integrated."

Seems pretty weird to me they put a faux projector in them just for looks. I'll have to check the housing closer and see if there is access and/or a bulb wired to it.

ginsy

Ready to race!
I messaged Osram about the inner lights and this is word for word the response I got...

"The inner projector does not have any function. There is no light source integrated."

Seems pretty weird to me they put a faux projector in them just for looks. I'll have to check the housing closer and see if there is access and/or a bulb wired to it.
Maybe its possible to retrofit? It does feel like a waste.