GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Osram MK7 headlight housings - interested?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
With you being in Los Angeles, have you had any issues with inspections with the ECE code headlights? I ran euro headlights on my Fiesta ST and didn't have any issues with yearly inspections. But, I also didn't have a problem with swapping them out for stockers if I failed inspection since swapping the housings was like 10 minutes on that car.
California just has smog, we don't have safety inspections. Smog these days is a visual check for aftermarket parts and an ODBII connection to scan for faults. If your an older car they might throw the pipe sniffer and put you on rollers, but not sure.

Edit: I'm sure if they really wanted to, you could get a fix it ticket from a cop if they could prove the light should be there. Never heard it happen, but cops give out weird tickets for mods in CA these days.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Yea just smog... and the TDI has passed it twice thus far... even tuned. For anyone that does decide to order from the site above you'll have to email them unless something has changed. When I bought mine I was unable to checkout but I emailed and they sent me the invoice via PayPal which is how I paid. I'm less than 5 minutes from the LAPD credit union so I drive near cops all the time and haven't got a second look but I hope I don't have to put the stock halogens on for a fix it ticket, ugghhhh.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I can't personally speak to the quality of BEC/Ed or anything other than the OSRAM's but I've read mixed reports, though more positive than negative. As for quality, I'm more comfortable knowing the lights are legal and certified somewhere, though not for the US. I'm good with the quality of other OSRAM products that I've used though. Subjective, but I think they look better than any other headlights out there.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
so what are ya paying double for? is the quality that much better vs becs?
I'm paying double for the stepper motors so I can retrofit a Euro Low line harness with Euro low line AFS module and rear level sensor to get auto leveling to work with them. Don't know about quality vs BEC's, ED is pretty good with replacing defective merchandise. I do know the Osrams show a water jet pressure test and such on their headlight in their little video on the Osram page, so maybe better quality?

Edit: That and they're still cheaper than OEM housings, so I'm saving money on halogen to Bi-Xenon retrofit.

amritdesai

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
The OSRAM are 10x quality of the ED's I purchased a while back. They are also twice as expensive though. I have not heard of quality issues with the OSRAM's on this forum.

I absolutely love them and they were well worth the wait/cost.

cblock406

Ready to race!
I reached out to Osram again about the mk7.5 lights and received this response:

"Due to the current situation the date was a little bit changed - we plan to roll out the product for facelift Golf VII model (7.5) till the end of this year. The product will be full LED."

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
I can't personally speak to the quality of BEC/Ed or anything other than the OSRAM's but I've read mixed reports, though more positive than negative. As for quality, I'm more comfortable knowing the lights are legal and certified somewhere, though not for the US. I'm good with the quality of other OSRAM products that I've used though. Subjective, but I think they look better than any other headlights out there.
Eds quality is terrible his quality for the mk6s were awful so i assume it hasnt changed for the mk7s because I'm sure he is still using the same chinese factories. I sold my Eds and bought osrams when I had my mk6. I loved them but Osram had quality issues as well atleast when they first came out. Where the lens would spider crack. Also Osrams customer service is awful.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
Question: Can you change the bulbs if one burns out? or is the whole thing sealed up? How are they in the rain and snow?

Thanks
You can replace the bulbs they arent sealed in completely ..... as for rain and snow when I had a set for my mk6 they let condensation inside which osram said was normally which its not. They warrantied my driver side for the condensation issue but wouldn't warranty my pass side for the same issue.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
You can replace the bulbs they arent sealed in completely ..... as for rain and snow when I had a set for my mk6 they let condensation inside which osram said was normally which its not. They warrantied my driver side for the condensation issue but wouldn't warranty my pass side for the same issue.

Thanks.. do you have to replace them with something Osram specific, or is it like a LED H7 bulb? What I meant is: how is the light output in the rain or snow.. do they get washed out in the rain being 6k bulbs?

Thanks

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
Thanks.. do you have to replace them with something Osram specific, or is it like a LED H7 bulb? What I meant is: how is the light output in the rain or snow.. do they get washed out in the rain being 6k bulbs?

Thanks
They use only d8s bulbs if I'm not mistaken so you can't swap in a h7 bulb. Light output in the rain and snow wasnt to bad. It was alot better then Eds headlights imo

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
now which is the best full led headlight for MK7 cars?
Depends really on your spending limit
What are the full LED options outside of the Osrams? I thought the lighting package assembly included a combination of Xenon/LED bulbs.

I would choose lighting package (from factory) for the AFS/leveling if I had the choice. But having halogens I wouldn't choose to retrofit lighting package over the plug and play Osrams.