GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Osram MK7 headlight housings - interested?

NoLongerBlauE46

Anybody got this installed on their MK7 R? I'm really tempted but I'm not sure if its plugNplay for the R. Anybody want to be the guinea pig? lol
Make sure you scroll up earlier on this thread. There's a great graphic of what works and what doesn't. From the looks of it, the Golf R won't support this ... unless for some reason you've ended up with halogen headlights on your R.

1584627635237.png

thethickness

Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI
I would reconsider that idea: OEM MK7 R lights are better lights than these. The OEM R lights are true Xenon HIDs with higher output, auto-leveling and adaptive lighting (swivels to follow steering wheel input); these would be a downgrade in performance. People are retrofitting these into non-lighting package/halogen cars because it's expensive and difficult to swap in LP or R lights.

amritdesai

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
When I ordered from blauertacho they asked me for my vin number and also pictures of my existing headlights to confirm the correct OSRAM version would work for my car. OSRAM makes the headlight for the LP version of our cars and a few posters in this thread have "upgraded" from the lighting package to OSRAM with great success and results.

They don't have auto-leveling and the functionality of LP headlights, however the LED OSRAMs seems to put out a lot more light - at least when I've compared with a buddies LP GTI.

Contact blauertacho and ask if they work with the R.

https://www.blauertacho4u.de/OSRAM-...ROME-EDITION-Full-LED-Scheinwerfer-12776.html

cblock406

Ready to race!
I reached out to Osram again last weekend about the release for the MK7.5...this is the reply i received.

"Dear Sir or Madam,

Yes, we are still planning to introduce this model to the market, but due to current situation, the date is changed to the end of 2020.

If you need any additional assistance, please contact us.

Yours faithfully,

OSRAM Automotive Team"

Drewpul

Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen TDI
What intrigues me the most about the Osram headlights is they claim the "light cone" can reach 200m (which is about 650 feet)

The IIHS (USA) just started testing headlights a couple years ago and I was shocked to find out that both the Halogen and HID were given a poor rating. The OEM HID's struggle to reach even 500 feet.The HID's are definitely better than Halogen (a little over 400 feet)..but still fall short of some of the newer recommended headlights off Subarus or Genesis.

If Osram can reach 650 feet (at 5 lux illumination...Osram doesn't specify how bright theirs is at 650 feet), then they would actually be some of the best headlights on the market today! And it would seem that the illumination of the Osram LED's would even offer more substantial benefits compared to the AFS tech of the the stock VW HID's

(Below are OEM ratings from IIHS. The blue is low beam, white is high beam. The colored bars show IIHS's recommenced reach for safety)
Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 11.39.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 11.39.49 AM.png

thethickness

Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI
Update: I still like mine. Zero issues to report. They kinda get washed out in the rain, but I hardly drive anymore, so who cares—they look sick 😬

e_koehler1

Car(s)
2016 MK7 GTI
Just got myself a 2016 gti s, with the crappy halogens. The headlights are def the first major upgrade I'm doing to the car. What website are these from? Are they EDs? They look fantastic. I too am wary about installing them myself, just wondering how the whole process was for you? And have they lasted? Any advice you have from your experiences would be much appreciated. Thanks man

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
OSRAM LEDriving lights are made by Osram and not for sale in the USA. I ordered a set from Germany. Eds/BEC, Helix and Spyder also make plug and play replacement headlights.

Install isn't too hard. You can either drop the bumper or pull it down and wrap with micro fiber towels to protect the paint.

e_koehler1

Car(s)
2016 MK7 GTI
OSRAM LEDriving lights are made by Osram and not for sale in the USA. I ordered a set from Germany. Eds/BEC, Helix and Spyder also make plug and play replacement headlights.

Install isn't too hard. You can either drop the bumper or pull it down and wrap with micro fiber towels to protect the paint.
Thanks for that info! May I ask how much it cost to import them from Germany? I was looking at the website, and that is something that might be worth the money for the legality/legitness. But all I hear are good things about Eds so I'm torn between getting those euro ones or getting the ones from Ed for what I presume is a much less expensive price.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
It's a ways back in this thread but I ordered from here... and I think a few others did as well...

http://www.mytuning24.de/osram/OSRAM-LEDriving-XENARC-VW-Golf-VI-6/vw-golf-7/

Right now the price converts to around $800 after excluding VAT but I don't think that includes shipping. When I ordered (March 2019) I paid just under $1,100 shipped. Came DHL from Germany to Los Angeles, in less than a week. No regrets still. They are plug & play, and you can code out the parking light fault (which is present with BEC/Ed headlights as well I think). The fault only shows up in scans, not as a dash fault.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Thanks for that info! May I ask how much it cost to import them from Germany? I was looking at the website, and that is something that might be worth the money for the legality/legitness. But all I hear are good things about Eds so I'm torn between getting those euro ones or getting the ones from Ed for what I presume is a much less expensive price.
I picked up mine here: https://www.blauertacho4u.de/stvzo/OSRAM-Produkte/XENARC-Scheinwerfer/
You can email them and ask for a VAT free price with shipping. I believe mine was 740ish Euro/ 870ish USD after shipping. They were out of stock when I ordered a couple months back, but they should be shipping in the next week or so from my last update. Edit: Looks like they have them in stock and mine shipped 3 days ago. Now the waiting game enters the final stretch.

They also are having a presale of the new OSRAM LEDriving for the MK7.5.

Last edited:

e_koehler1

Car(s)
2016 MK7 GTI
It's a ways back in this thread but I ordered from here... and I think a few others did as well...

Right now the price converts to around $800 after excluding VAT but I don't think that includes shipping. When I ordered (March 2019) I paid just under $1,100 shipped. Came DHL from Germany to Los Angeles, in less than a week. No regrets still. They are plug & play, and you can code out the parking light fault (which is present with BEC/Ed headlights as well I think). The fault only shows up in scans, not as a dash fault.
Awesome, thanks for that! Youre starting to sell me on them haha, they seem really nice

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S

With you being in Los Angeles, have you had any issues with inspections with the ECE code headlights? I ran euro headlights on my Fiesta ST and didn't have any issues with yearly inspections. But, I also didn't have a problem with swapping them out for stockers if I failed inspection since swapping the housings was like 10 minutes on that car.