GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Osram MK7 headlight housings - interested?

cblock406

Ready to race!
Just curious if anyone has heard or has knowledge of Osram making these for the MK7.5? Really hope so, headlights are about the only thing I hate on my Sport.

cblock406

Ready to race!
I wanted to circle back with some information. I emailed Osram a few weeks ago and surprisingly they got back to me over the weekend. This what they said:

"Thank you for your email. We are planning to launch headlamps for facelift version of VW Golf VII in mid-2020.
If you need any additional assistance, please contact us."

So I think that settles it for me, will be waiting until these are released to upgrade, Halogen lights until then.

amritdesai

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Ordered mine from blauertacho4u back in November. Still waiting for package to be delivered!

Blauertacho4u have been excellent with their correspondence but the DHL shipping is insanely slow. They suggested I pay the extra $250 for expedited shipping...

thethickness

Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI
Just curious--how are these holding up for those of you who've installed them? I'm feeling impulsive and am trying to temper it with some feedback ?

amritdesai

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Finally arrived! Also got the dynamic mirror blinkers.

The OSRAMS are beautiful! Planning to install over the weekend and will update with pics.

thethickness

Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI
Installed mine last night. Decided to do it on a weeknight to motivate myself to finish it all the way so I could get to work this morning ?

The installation is pretty straightforward. I did it alone and left the car on the ground. I would not recommend this if you don't have the correct tools: to pull the bumper cover with the car on all fours means using a right angle driver to unfasten the T25s holding the bumper to the belly pan, and things are tight in the wheel wells if you don't jack it up and pull off the front wheels. I got away with not pulling the bumper entirely as well. You can pop the clips and prop up the fascia with the headlight boxes/foam board/a stick so that you don't need to unclip the fog light harnesses and drop it to the ground.

Getting the old lights out is a piece of cake but the washer fluid reservoir is a bit tricky. One thing that was a PITA is discovering that the wiring harness connects in a lower, harder to reach location, and it's keyed upside down from the stockers. Not a problem on the passenger side, but a tight squeeze on the driver side. Note that you will end up with two extra fasteners once you finish, as the Osrams come with fasteners already installed for the back bottom mounting point. Or, if you're me and you're freezing your ass off and didn't align the bumper cover with the mounting holes in the belly pan, you'll have three extra fasteners that you need to install another day...

Installing the fused wires is a bit more involved than expected. The battery terminals on these cars are in a recessed location on the battery, and it's a tight fit. I snipped a gap in the terminals and clipped the wires behind the bolt on the terminal. I need to take the time to run them neatly and am thinking about trimming down the driver's side wire and crimping on a new terminal. For now, I ran the passenger side along the fan housing, and I gave the driver side a quick wrap of electrical tape and tucked it next to the airbox.

It was plug and play for me. I bench tested the lights when they arrived to ensure they were working correctly, and everything was fine. I haven't yet pulled codes with OBDELEVEN but I plan to this weekend. They pass the eye test for proper aim as well. I have no flicker, but as expected there's definitely a little jounce and bounce to them over rough surfaces since there's no self-leveling system. And note: THESE DON'T HAVE SIDEMARKERS, so install at your own risk. I'm still on the fence as to how I feel deleting them, but I guess we'll see.

I'll snap some pics at lunch today and will post this afternoon.

thethickness

Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI
One more thing...has anyone done any light coding via OBDE or VCDS with these installed? I'm curious to see how they react to, say, using the indicators as running lights. I suspect that there is a module/driver in the LEDs that runs the dynamic logic and will cause issues, but I guess there's only one way to find out.

amritdesai

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Excellent summary above!

I experienced similar challenges with the install but it was pretty straightforward overall. Like with other aftermarket lights, there is some adjusting required to align the red strip and maintain spacing with the bumper and grill.

I should have snipped a gap on the OSRAM wire ends. Instead, I removed the battery terminal to install the OSRAM cabling and damaged the bolt holding the terminal on the battery. I used a new bolt but the whole process was a pain in the ass. Running the wires isn't as tidy as I'd hoped but its not terrible and I can live with the new wires in the engine bay.

The lights are beautiful and very high quality! HUGE upgrade over the helix HID replicas.

amritdesai

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Pics

Attachments

• 7BB3278B-24EB-4652-B779-B4536B5FF88F.jpeg
    7BB3278B-24EB-4652-B779-B4536B5FF88F.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 386
  • 7BBF8949-F13B-4C81-A32A-4FBD3E59F040.jpeg
    7BBF8949-F13B-4C81-A32A-4FBD3E59F040.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 381
  • EE2FD79A-E607-44C4-B921-DE93CA396F1E.jpeg
    EE2FD79A-E607-44C4-B921-DE93CA396F1E.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 370

thethickness

Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI
Womp womp, I forgot to update my post. It rained for about a week straight after I installed them and it slipped my mind to get some decent photos. It's going to snow again today, so I may have to put it off once more :p

Light output is good, but not amazing. High beams really aren't anything special, and I think the whiter color temp may cloak the fact that the output is not mindblowingly greater (though it's still higher than the stock halogens). Think LED streetlamps vs. sodium halogen streetlamps: though your eyes perceive the color temperature the same way, you think that you can see "better" with the whiter light even though that may absolutely not be the case.

It's to be expected, considering they are D2S bulbs and have to come in under a certain lumen threshold to hit ECE standards (and DOT standards) without requiring self-levelers or headlamp washers. Moving from reflectors to projectors also took me a bit of adjustment: coupled with the ECE pattern, you become very aware of the cutoff as it's much more abrupt than say, the halogen projector lights in my Mazda CX-5. There is a distinct lack of light diffusion "above" the cutoff compared to the DOT pattern.

I think mine came aimed pretty well out of the box--to the point that I don't think I'm going to bother f'ing around with them. I suspect that some people think they are aimed high because of the stepped Euro-code beam pattern. It throws the same amount of light as a DOT projector, but it prioritizes different locations (e.g. the shoulder of the road as opposed to highway signs on overhead gantries). I personally REALLY like the European pattern, as the vast majority of my night driving takes place either on extremely well-lit tollways where the signs are lighted, or on semi-residential surface streets where I have to worry about smoking a deer or someone walking/cycling. I LOVE that the right shoulder is more visible.

They did throw some soft codes that I cleared through OBDeleven. I haven't yet checked to see if they've returned.

Happy to answer any other questions.

amritdesai

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Those look REALLY good.. Im tempted now to buy a 7.5 S and get their lights when they come out this year.

What do you think of them and the light output?

The light output compared to the helix replicas is outstanding - I'm particularly impressed with the high beams. The fitment is excellent too!

Nice! I've been really happy with mine for the last year, no issues. Glad to hear others are getting them as well.

Nice brakes, how do you like the neuspeed 6 pots?

The Neuspeed brake calipers are HUGE! I recommend pairing them with the 2 piece floating rotors. With the Neuspeed rotors and the BBK there was 11lbs+ weight savings per wheel. Also, with the Neuspeed rims are an additional 6lbs saving over stock.

Overall, the car feels so much more responsive and the stopping power is absurd. I don't track the car but on the mountain roads it's just a delight to drive now.

Last edited: