GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oryx White Pearl Guys & Gals (Rear Bumper Paint)

Dutchman1101

I recently purchased a 2015 in Oryx White Pearl. There is definitely a color difference between the rear bumper paint and the body. Like a slight yellowing (maybe the clear coat). I notice it mainly from the side. If you look straight on from that back, you cannot see much of a difference between the bumper and hatch.

Anyone else have this? The bumper looks to be factory (I think).

Been doing a bit of research, and this seems to happen to White Pearls over time quite a bit. Mainly on other car brands though. Have not been able to find anything on VWs specifically, hence why I'm here...

Example: https://www.autopia.org/forums/car-detailing/140054-plastic-bumper-fades-color-body-panel-help-please.html

Dutchman1101

Are you sure it wasn’t in an accident and the rear bumper cover repainted with the slightly wrong color?

Most certainly a possibility and one I think might be the actual reason. However, with this being an issue with White Pearls w/ other manufacturers, figured I'd ask here.

I have been looking at older Oryx Whites on Google Images, and while I cannot find one as 'extreme' as mine, I have seen a few that look similar.

Is it running a CAT?
If not then this can happen to white cars.
Might try to clean bumper with Iron-X to see if it helps clean up any direct.
Good wash before and after apply.

It has a CAT, but high flow of course. I might give that whirl in a few small spots to see if that helps. Appreciate the tip.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
It’s not unusual for there to be slight shade differences between the painted plastic parts of a car such as the bumpers and the metal panels. A shade difference isn’t necessarily an indication that either the plastic bumper or adjacent metal panel has been repainted.

Plastic parts such as the bumpers aren’t painted with the car body shell and metal panels in the car production facility - they’re usually painted in a different building, possibly using paint from a different batch. Also, different processes are used to paint plastic and metal parts, and with metallic and pearlescent paints, the different painting methods might mean that the metal flakes or mica particles in the paint may settle at different angles on plastic panels compared to metal panels, giving the appearance of slight shade differences.

Any shade differences between plastic and metal panels is usually more noticeable with light coloured metallic and pearlescent finishes - silver seems to be particularly affected.

With both my current (blue) car and previous (grey) car, there are / were very slight shade differences between the plastic bumpers and adjoining metal panels - only noticeable difference between in bright sunlight and only from certain angles. The shade difference is so slight it doesn’t bother me, and I’m very OCD about my car. I’ve seen lots of cars at dealerships with much more pronounced shade differences between plastic and metal parts.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
This is totally normal. All colors can have shade differences between the plastic panels and the body, even right from factory. White just shows it more over time.

Dutchman1101

They also show different depending on angle to light or sun.
My thoughts.

Very true, although I will say in my case, it's more the clear coat is probably yellowing a bit. Again, happens on cars, and of course especially noticeable on white cars. I would also imagine this car was not garaged and maybe (like how it does at my house if not in the garage), the back of the car got more sun than the front.

I also think you had a good point before with exhaust being a possible factor. While I do have a CAT, it's high flow after all and we do have direct injection engines. I have noticed the back of the car is harder to clean. Recent example was after doing a pretty healthy pressure wash, I had to grab something from the hatch and closed it with my fingertips on the outside of the hatch instead of using the inside handles. Noticed when I did that, I left prints where you can tell it displaced 'caked on' dirt/soot.

Not super worried about it, but I'm definitely wondering what a good detail would do...

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Very true, although I will say in my case, it's more the clear coat is probably yellowing a bit. Again, happens on cars, and of course especially noticeable on white cars. I would also imagine this car was not garaged and maybe (like how it does at my house if not in the garage), the back of the car got more sun than the front.

I also think you had a good point before with exhaust being a possible factor. While I do have a CAT, it's high flow after all and we do have direct injection engines. I have noticed the back of the car is harder to clean. Recent example was after doing a pretty healthy pressure wash, I had to grab something from the hatch and closed it with my fingertips on the outside of the hatch instead of using the inside handles. Noticed when I did that, I left prints where you can tell it displaced 'caked on' dirt/soot.

Not super worried about it, but I'm definitely wondering what a good detail would do...

A person on You Tube I follow has a white Porsche that is wrapped and had catless exhaust which yellowed the film. He went with high flow cats but has since upgraded the Porsche so now no issue. I would think a high flow cat might yellow white some. Just something to consider if perfect paint is goal.

fabr

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 golf R
SRGTD is right. oryx shows different tonalities on plastic and metal. i have a new 2019 R oryx white pearl and there is a noticeble different tonality, regardless is under the sun or not.
plus the main thing , oryx is 3 stage paint and reacts way different , again , on plastic and metal. i m painting oettinger rear spoiler and we have done several tests . funny that one matches the metal and doesnt match the plastic and viceversa.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Tricoat paints are a bitch to touchup and blend. However, a good body shop will be able to do it. It won't be cheap though.