GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ordering from ECS Tuning

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
To all who are planning to order form ECS Tuning, be aware that the duty and brokerage fees are insane.

I ordered a BFI shift knob and 034 bushing, and the shipping was ~$40, which is steep to begin with, but whatever, I wanted the knob. I knew that the shipping costs didn't cover the duties/brokerage, but, given that the knob was manufactured in the US, I didn't expect much for additional costs. The package arrived today with $75 of duty and brokerage fees!

That's 1/3 of the entire order.

ECS do have a "Cana-Ease" shipping option, which covers the duty/brokerage, but it's $108USD, which is almost the same price as the shift knob.

I've ordered more things than I can count from the US; be it for my cars, my motorcycle, or even my mountain bike, and I've never seen duty/brokerage fees that were this high. Going forward, I doubt that I will do any further business with ECS, unless they can get their shipping under control.

Ferrari

Ready to race!
Was that shipped through UPS? They are the worst, they have exorbitant duty and brokerage fees. I refuse to order anything that will be delivered through UPS.

Whenever I buy from the US I always make sure the item(s) are shipped via USPS.

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
Was that shipped through UPS? They are the worst, they have exorbitant duty and brokerage fees. I refuse to order anything that will be delivered through UPS.

Whenever I buy from the US I always make sure the item(s) are shipped via USPS.

Yeah, I seriously hate UPS, but they were the cheapest option from ECS. I knew that there would be SOME brokerage fees, but $75 is insane.

With that said, I found out today that I can do the brokerage stuff through my local CBSA. So, when UPS leaves the door tag saying that they attempted a delivery, all I need to do is call them and ask for the Cargo Control Documents, and take those, along with my invoice from the seller, to the CBSA. Then they will do the brokering, and UPS will remove the fees that they tried to charge!

jedenb

Hey Guys,

What are your other options for ordering parts for your VW from the internet?
As mentioned above, ECS is nice but shipping to Canada is not great. Do you have any other good resources (tuning shops, distributors, etc)?

Burn

I luckily live fairly close to the border. Drive from Winnipeg to the border and back in a cpl hours.. eats up part of the day, but no ridiculous brokerage fees or an other mystery taxes that suddenly appear.

I always hit the Duty/Tax calculator on the the border services site, then have my packages sent and held at one of the many parcel holding services setup to help us Canadians.

It's hard to get by the problem, because retailers work arrangements for shipping and earn savings in bulk or exclusive shipping. UPS is worst, but they all ding you hard for the brokerage and handling fee.

[edit: sorry, I resurrected a pretty old thread]

ECS Tuning

Go Kart Champion
EuroSportTuning is actually one of our Canadian distributors. They can get you just about anything on our website without the duties/fees.

No hard feelings if it's more economical to use them than buy through us directly.

lelandolson

Car(s)
Ford
I ordered from them through eurosport and used a custom broker and it went great! I knew that fees are going to be insane that is why I use a customs broker to help me.

Last edited:

JUMB3E

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6MT
Just use a service that gives you a US address and drives the parts over. There are a few available online.

JUMB3E

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6MT
Yes. They are still operating and I grabbed something from them a few weeks ago.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Yes. They are still operating and I grabbed something from them a few weeks ago.

Interesting. I stopped gassing up due to the border closures.

I have a mailbox in Blain I’d like to start using again.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
You were able to cross the line and pickup packages from a US mailbox?

I assumed that I would not be able to head down to Point Roberts, to do the same.