GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Opinions needed... going from Stg 2 Mk6 GTI DSG into a 2018 Golf R manual or DSG?

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI, C63S AMG
Hello folks, I could have thought I would have found some threads on this when I searched but didn't. I have been running Stg2 Mk6 GTI with a DSG and I'm looking for more traction. I simply can't put the power down. I'm tired of spinning the inside wheel on hard turns. I love the car otherwise. I just want the Golf R for the new digital dashboard, the DCC with drive mode selection, bigger AV screen, more gadgets in the screen, better headlights, upgrade to Fender stereo, adaptive cruise control, AWD for snow, etc...

Having said that, here are my questions:
1) How much power can the stock manual clutch handle assuming brand new? Would I toast it just by going to Stg 1 APR who claims 370 hp/383 ft-lbs on 93 octane? What's "THE" clutch replacement for the Mk7, South Bend?
2) I assume the DSG can handle more power than the manual? This is true for the Mk6. Do I have to change anything with the DSG assuming I go to Stg 2? The reason I ask is that with the Mk6, the DSG can easily handle Stg 2. But the Mk7 Stg 2 is A LOT more power than the Mk6 Stg 2. Thus, I'm wondering if I would burn out the DSG clutches anyway. If so, then I might as well go manual and eventually replace the clutch.

From the 2017 R to the 2018 R, are there any other material differences aside from these?
1) Digital dashboard
2) Larger AV screen
3) If I go DSG, the 2018 DSG is a 7 speed vs the 2017 which is a 6 speed.

Thanks in advance!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hello folks, I could have thought I would have found some threads on this when I searched but didn't. I have been running Stg2 Mk6 GTI with a DSG and I'm looking for more traction. I simply can't put the power down. I'm tired of spinning the inside wheel on hard turns. I love the car otherwise. I just want the Golf R for the new digital dashboard, the DCC with drive mode selection, bigger AV screen, more gadgets in the screen, better headlights, upgrade to Fender stereo, adaptive cruise control, AWD for snow, etc...

Having said that, here are my questions:
1) How much power can the stock manual clutch handle assuming brand new? Would I toast it just by going to Stg 1 APR who claims 370 hp/383 ft-lbs on 93 octane? What's "THE" clutch replacement for the Mk7, South Bend?
2) I assume the DSG can handle more power than the manual? This is true for the Mk6. Do I have to change anything with the DSG assuming I go to Stg 2? The reason I ask is that with the Mk6, the DSG can easily handle Stg 2. But the Mk7 Stg 2 is A LOT more power than the Mk6 Stg 2. Thus, I'm wondering if I would burn out the DSG clutches anyway. If so, then I might as well go manual and eventually replace the clutch.

From the 2017 R to the 2018 R, are there any other material differences aside from these?
1) Digital dashboard
2) Larger AV screen
3) If I go DSG, the 2018 DSG is a 7 speed vs the 2017 which is a 6 speed.

Thanks in advance!

Pretty sure that the APR numbers you're quoting are crank numbers not wheel.

I'm at 416 wheel HP on the stock DSG clutches with 96,000 miles and the clutches are fine. That's on a GTI SE.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI, C63S AMG
Pretty sure that the APR numbers you're quoting are crank numbers not wheel.

I'm at 416 wheel HP on the stock DSG clutches with 96,000 miles and the clutches are fine. That's on a GTI SE.

That's correct. I was quoting APR Stg 1 93 octane crank numbers. It's easier for me to keep track of gains since I know the stock is 288hp/280tq.

Do you have an LSD on your GTI? If so, I assume Wavetrack. What slip setting?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That's correct. I was quoting APR Stg 1 93 octane crank numbers. It's easier for me to keep track of gains since I know the stock is 288hp/280tq.

Do you have an LSD on your GTI? If so, I assume Wavetrack. What slip setting?

I have the electronically locking diff on my 18 SE.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I don't know exactly how much power my AP Stage1 high boost is making, but I assume it is similar to the APR Stage1. It's a noticeable bump in power from stock and my stock MT clutch has been holding it just fine.

I don't drive the car all crazy all the time though. More a relaxing GT car for me, and keep the rev's on the higher side while cursing as habit from my Subies. That relieves a lot of undo stress from the engine and clutch.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't know exactly how much power my AP Stage1 high boost is making, but I assume it is similar to the APR Stage1. It's a noticeable bump in power from stock and my stock MT clutch has been holding it just fine.

I don't drive the car all crazy all the time though. More a relaxing GT car for me, and keep the rev's on the higher side while cursing as habit from my Subies. That relieves a lot of undo stress from the engine and clutch.

Why wouldn't you use the highest gear when cruising for fuel mileage? Coolant and oil temps will be better too.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Why wouldn't you use the highest gear when cruising for fuel mileage? Coolant and oil temps will be better too.

For mpg, I think most of the time driving in the highest gear is good, but that can strain the engine and force a clutch to overwork itself when a grade is introduced while cruising. So I keep my MT car's RPM over 2000rpm at all times unless going down hill where I don't need any braking and just want to coast, but not coast in neutral. I usually average 29mpg on the obc.

I never abruptly punch the throttle or fully open under 4k RPM.. these habits increase longevity, I think. I've owned many modded cars in the past, but never had any engine nor drivetrain failure so I'm assuming it helps.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Right, it's wise to keep it in the proper gear so you're not lugging the engine.
I was talking about flat areas where you're not lugging the engine.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Nothing actually changed with the R in regards to HP. The standard of which HP is measured / rated changed in 2018. Same car, same engine, same tune.
If that's the case, shouldn't the HP numbers have changed for all other cars too? Why did only the R change its measurement?

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
The reduced Golf R hp didn’t come till ‘19 when they changed the engine to a b-engine cycle and added the gpf to the exhaust.

‘18 is the facelift model which is a bit nicer in my opinion

7-speed dq381 is nice, I hear not as smooth as the 6-speed DSG, works fine for me stock and now with UM DSG flash