GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Opinions needed... going from Stg 2 Mk6 GTI DSG into a 2018 Golf R manual or DSG?

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
It's only 4 crank HP so it doesn't matter.
I agree, but I'm still intellectually curious as to why the reported HP changed for the Golf R and no other cars. Why suddenly change the way it's measured it in a way that makes the number lower? Wouldn't they want to report the highest number possible?

Last edited:

edstigator

Car(s)
2019 Golf R 6Spd
I’ve got a 19 R manual. I’m running a eqt stage 2 tune, down pipe, intake and dkm stage 3 clutch. I was running a Cobb stage 1 tune for about 4 months on the stock clutch and noticed no issues. But with the stage 2 I did notice slippage which is why I upgraded.
running with the stage 1 and depending on the type of driving you do I can’t see you having to replace the clutch, assuming it wasn’t abused previously.
With the stage 2 though and some track days I do sometimes wish I had of gone with the dsg, only because it would potentially have been smoother power delivery and gear changes. These cars are tough to heel toe. But honestly overall I’m happy with the manual. But that’s just my opinion.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
If that's the case, shouldn't the HP numbers have changed for all other cars too? Why did only the R change its measurement?

Here is the best explanation I could find.

Volkswagen used to measure horsepower using "Metric Horsepower". They have since switched to measuring horsepower using "Mechanical Horsepower". What does this mean?

2018 year, VW rated the R at 292 "Metric Horsepower"

2019 year, VW rates the R at 288 "Mechanical Horsepower" or "Imperial Horsepower"

The power has not gone down, the way it is measured has changed.

Just to be very clear, 292 "Metric Horsepower" = 288.004 "Mechanical Horsepower"

So like I said, nothing has changed. It's simply the method of which VW measures the power output of the car. To your specific question about other models, I'm not up to speed on the HP ratings of other models or how they have changed year over year, but I do know they continue to ADD more power in certain models like the GTI. Just because the measurement changes doesn't mean you can't add more overall HP to a vehicle. Again, I'm not sure if HP changed in other VW models from 2018 to 2019.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Here is the best explanation I could find.

Volkswagen used to measure horsepower using "Metric Horsepower". They have since switched to measuring horsepower using "Mechanical Horsepower". What does this mean?

2018 year, VW rated the R at 292 "Metric Horsepower"

2019 year, VW rates the R at 288 "Mechanical Horsepower" or "Imperial Horsepower"

The power has not gone down, the way it is measured has changed.

Just to be very clear, 292 "Metric Horsepower" = 288.004 "Mechanical Horsepower"

So like I said, nothing has changed. It's simply the method of which VW measures the power output of the car. To your specific question about other models, I'm not up to speed on the HP ratings of other models or how they have changed year over year, but I do know they continue to ADD more power in certain models like the GTI. Just because the measurement changes doesn't mean you can't add more overall HP to a vehicle. Again, I'm not sure if HP changed in other VW models from 2018 to 2019.
I wonder why they decided to suddenly switch to mechanical horsepower. What was the motivation to do that?

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
There is no GPF on any Golf/GTI/R in the USA.

I figured they did since there are three cats, one initial cat post turbo followed by duals side by side. So the duals are ordinary cats? I know the duals are gpf in Europe and look the same on the ‘19 R