GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Open source tuning solution

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Does the ECU decrypt the data in real time or is it decrypted once the flash finishes? I'm asking because the best way I learn is from someone else's work, then I fiddle from that basic knowledge. So my questions about being able to read the current flash parameters is to get a baseline for what is acceptable and figure out why something was done. This platform sounds super cool and I think I would go this route once I decide to do IS38, MPI, E85, LPFP since I don't want to fork over a ton of cash for something I can feasibly do at home.
This is getting out of my wheelhouse a bit, but I think it's decrypted real time on the ECU side. Brian @bri3d (won't let me tag him, and he never comes on here) would know for sure. You can't directly read what data is on the ECU, you can only overwrite it.

So to the question above about having a good baseline tune and then "adding on" the open source flex fuel stuff....nah that won't really work. You'd have to overwrite the entire calibration data.

If you want to start digging into tuning and looking / comparing some example tunes, the discord group is probably a good place to be / to start

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
This is getting out of my wheelhouse a bit, but I think it's decrypted real time on the ECU side. Brian @bri3d (won't let me tag him, and he never comes on here) would know for sure. You can't directly read what data is on the ECU, you can only overwrite it.

So to the question above about having a good baseline tune and then "adding on" the open source flex fuel stuff....nah that won't really work. You'd have to overwrite the entire calibration data.

If you want to start digging into tuning and looking / comparing some example tunes, the discord group is probably a good place to be / to start
That's interesting. I keep hearing about this party but not getting an invite, unless its somewhere on the simoswiki. @scrllock mentioned that some pro-tunes calibrations look bad, I wonder how viewing the calibrations is accomplished. I am spit balling that you can infer what a calibration value is based on logs, knowing what the inputs and outputs are from the ECU without actually knowing whats going on inside.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
That's interesting. I keep hearing about this party but not getting an invite, unless its somewhere on the simoswiki. @scrllock mentioned that some pro-tunes calibrations look bad, I wonder how viewing the calibrations is accomplished. I am spit balling that you can infer what a calibration value is based on logs, knowing what the inputs and outputs are from the ECU without actually knowing whats going on inside.
Quite a few of us also had or currently have Maestro, so we are able to see the calibrations of those tunes. You can also understand a lot about a calibration based of Cobb logs.

Exley

Passed Driver's Ed
I developed my tune based on looking at logs from different tunes and JB4. You have to figure out how to get to the end result but it helps you have a baseline for what is safe for the turbo and motor

paan

Car(s)
audi q3 culc
Hello!

I have learned from my own experience that pro-tunes calibrations often look bad. Earlier I turned to "pro-tuner", they have already unlocked this ECU, write several different calibrations, but I don't like a lot about them. And now I want to tune my car by myself.

Му car is AUDI Q3 2014, 2.0 tfsi 220ps. Engine marked CULC.
Here is identification оf ECU (in russian originaly iam translate somewhere in english)

Кат. номер VW/Audi // spare part number VW/Audi8U0906259
Версия ПО // software version0007
Кат. номер АО // hardware number06K907425C
Версия АОH13

Will I be able to tune my ECU with your solution?

I'm from Russia, and my English is bad, sorry; -)

Last edited:

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Hello!

I have learned from my own experience that pro-tunes calibrations often look bad. Earlier I turned to "pro-tuner", they have already unlocked this ECU, write several different calibrations, but I don't like a lot about them. And now I want to tune my car by myself.

Му car is AUDI Q3 2014, 2.0 tfsi 220ps. Engine marked CULC.
Here is identification оf ECU (in russian originaly iam translate somewhere in english)

Кат. номер VW/Audi // spare part number VW/Audi8U0906259
Версия ПО // software version0007
Кат. номер АО // hardware number06K907425C
Версия АОH13
Метка файла ASAM/ODXEV_ECM20TFS0208U0906259
Версия файла ASAM/ODX002009
Кодирование2A 25 00 32 24 36 01 0B 20 00
Краткое обозначение системыJ623
Код комплектации автомобиля00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Номер детали блока параметровNULL
Версия блока параметровNULL
Обозначение системы2.0l R4 TFSI
Состояние ЗУ для хранения программprogrammable Program available
Возможность программированияпрограммируется
Связность программыПрограмма имеется
Возможность параметрированияотсутствует
Стабильность данныхотсутствует
Ошибка при скачивании последнего блока данныхотсутствует
Модификация блока данныхотсутствует
Номер VINWAUZZZ8U3FR004943
Идентификация FAZITSME-RBG05.11.1420160469
Порядковый номерNULL
Буквенное обозначение двигателяCULC

Will I be able to tune my ECU with your solution?

I'm from Russia, and my English is bad, sorry; -)

I found a stock tune file for your car (frf). I can't think of any reasons why it wouldnt work with VW_Flash but @joedubs might have more insight on that.

The challenge will be to find a definition file for car.

It's file structure SC800H8200000, I'll have a little look around to see if I can find anything.

paan

Car(s)
audi q3 culc
I found a stock tune file for your car (frf). I can't think of any reasons why it wouldnt work with VW_Flash but @joedubs might have more insight on that.

The challenge will be to find a definition file for car.

It's file structure SC800H8200000, I'll have a little look around to see if I can find anything.

I found and download my FRF, converted to ODS, and then convert to 5 files using extractodxsimos18.py. And now I can't find a definition for SC800H82. That's why I thought to follow your path and flash software SC8S50_8V0906259K. Or does it not work like that and need to write my SC800H82_FL_8U0906259___0007?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I found 8U0906259A file, which appears to be H85 calibration definition. I do happen to have an a2l for that definition , so I THINK you should be able to cross flash to that box code and tune that way. There's still some hurdles such as making an appropriate CBOOT that will allow unsigned files to be flashed. This is a little out of my wheelhouse unfortunately.

If you flashed to 8V0906259K then you will immo brick the ECU so definitely don't do that :). Ask me how I know.

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
@aaronc7 I THINK 425C is 18.2, yeah?

I had used Brian's unlocker to unlock a 425C on the bench, but we would have to build a new unlocked CBOOT to flash via obd going forward.

@paan It's nontrivial to get that hardware set up with our software (but it could be done). I can try and take a look and report back.

paan

Car(s)
audi q3 culc
@joedubs

425c is 18.2. it's true.

Attachments

• Снимок2.PNG
    Снимок2.PNG
    726.9 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Hi guys, any way I could join your discord group? Been playing with the flash and bootloader tools with a spare ECU recently. Just wanted to talk about ecu stuff and maybe get some tunes going.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Hi guys, any way I could join your discord group? Been playing with the flash and bootloader tools with a spare ECU recently. Just wanted to talk about ecu stuff and maybe get some tunes going.
DM Joedubs