GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Open source tuning solution

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Well, most of this started with a group trying to create a wiki on how to tune Simos18. All about free exchange of information, etc., so that kinda goes against the idea of free and open source.

If a guy wanted to use open source tools to tune his car, but have a guy help him tune it and wanted to give a little $$ to compensate the guy for their time and effort that's fine I guess.

If you want to get into tuning, learn the process etc. I would still say that HP tuners is probably your best bet. You get nice, polished software, and spend less time worrying about the in the weeds stuff or general bugs.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
that's a very admirable attitude. thank you and best wishes

michelhadid

Car(s)
MK7R, S3 8V, ABARTH
Well, most of this started with a group trying to create a wiki on how to tune Simos18. All about free exchange of information, etc., so that kinda goes against the idea of free and open source.

If a guy wanted to use open source tools to tune his car, but have a guy help him tune it and wanted to give a little $$ to compensate the guy for their time and effort that's fine I guess.

If you want to get into tuning, learn the process etc. I would still say that HP tuners is probably your best bet. You get nice, polished software, and spend less time worrying about the in the weeds stuff or general bugs.
Hey, guys. Been following your work. Do You have a WhatsApp/Facebook group to help with development? Im an ECU tuner from México City, tuned over a 100 Simos 18 ECUs (full stock to 600+bhp) and can help with genuine Winols work/damos files aswell as defining new box codes if you need. Been advocating for public Simos 18 info for years. Glad to finally see a lot More Simos 18 information to the market. If you need anything, Let me know! Otherwise, great work! Keep It Up!

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Sent you a PM--yes we have a discord channel for most of the dev talk. If anyone has WinOLS "export to XDF" plugin that would be a huge help to define some extra box code definition files, vs us doing it manually like we have been, which has been quite painful and time consuming. Or maybe it's called Mappack to XDF.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Just tried it. No more rev hang. It's so smooth now! Good job!

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
This thread was created 5 months ago. The amount of progress that has happened in 5 months is amazing.

Stop believing in your false gods, guys.. Believe the science that's happening here.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Got @lumberjackzac 's car flashed with Tactrix OpenPort and will be getting him set up with tuning here shortly.

This might be a (very) dumb question, but if I have a Mazda3-branded (via OVTuning) Tactrix unit -- is there a means of flashing back and forth between the firmwares for the unit itself?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
This might be a (very) dumb question, but if I have a Mazda3-branded (via OVTuning) Tactrix unit -- is there a means of flashing back and forth between the firmwares for the unit itself?
I'm not really familiar with the OVTune unit......but a quick google search I can't find anything to say they are different?

Would be easy to test-- in the flasher program you can "get ECU info", and if all of that works properly, probably safe to say it will work just fine.

One issue I see already though is that you're on a 2019, which is Simos 18.10 and not exactly compatible with what's been done so far. Probably solely because because there hasn't been many guys with S18.10 working on it....so the interest or desire just hasn't been there. If you know your box code, that will confirm/deny 100%.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I'm not really familiar with the OVTune unit......but a quick google search I can't find anything to say they are different?

Would be easy to test-- in the flasher program you can "get ECU info", and if all of that works properly, probably safe to say it will work just fine.

One issue I see already though is that you're on a 2019, which is Simos 18.10 and not exactly compatible with what's been done so far. Probably solely because because there hasn't been many guys with S18.10 working on it....so the interest or desire just hasn't been there. If you know your box code, that will confirm/deny 100%.
Thanks! I'll have to get the exact model of the Tactrix product, it's one that I purchased when buying a tune for my Mazda -- so the firmware on the unit lists Mazda models, etc. That's also good to know that there are different Simos versions -- there really is a lot that I'm not familiar with about the tuning process. I'm a decent amount of time away from it being sensible for me to flash my ECU anyway, so I'm largely just spectating progress/asking questions for my own curiosity.

joedubs

Go Kart Champion

I would imagine it's set up as a standard "PassThru" device, and tactrix might give them specific blocks of serial numbers that their software would work with.

But who knows. Some cables (ED) actually do some really stupid things with the way they handle communication at the software level.

I wrote the openport wrapper so it works with the standard (which the tactrix branded openport is supposed to be fully compatible with). Tactrix could answer the question for you for sure (or, like @aaronc7 said, you could run our software to query your ecu data. If that works it's likely compliant.)

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Thanks! I'll have to get the exact model of the Tactrix product, it's one that I purchased when buying a tune for my Mazda -- so the firmware on the unit lists Mazda models, etc. That's also good to know that there are different Simos versions -- there really is a lot that I'm not familiar with about the tuning process. I'm a decent amount of time away from it being sensible for me to flash my ECU anyway, so I'm largely just spectating progress/asking questions for my own curiosity.

Yeah, no worries. With open source, really you can do as little or as much as you want since its not a lot of $$ invested. Totally feasible for a guy to just enable high speed logging, some misc/small tweaks like disable that rev hang stuff, burbles (as much as I hate to say it out loud...), to all out hybrid turbo tune.