GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Open source tuning solution

GreatFallsofGreen

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GFG 7.5, 6MT
I guess? But why? This is a full flash option. It's more involved than going Cobb or APR. There is really no need to run the piggyback if you go this route.
I see. I’m seeing a different purpose I guess; more along the lines of a simple street/track build. I think for many owners who are happy with a piggyback, having the flexibility of an unlocked top speed is value enough while improving their setup and by having simpler and more affordable engine build.

But I’m just spitballing as this is already a niche topic given how many legitimate tuners there are for the platform.

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
I see. I’m seeing a different purpose I guess; more along the lines of a simple street/track build. I think for many owners who are happy with a piggyback, having the flexibility of an unlocked top speed is value enough while improving their setup and by having simpler and more affordable engine build.

But I’m just spitballing as this is already a niche topic given how many legitimate tuners there are for the platform.
Nope, makes no sense.

I could elaborate, but suffice to say, I think you're missing the point of what this solution accomplishes.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT

I’ll be honest this is how I’ve been looking at it as well. This gives us the freedom to pick and choose what tweaks to make and what we don’t want. For example, JB4 is tried and true, so let that make your extra power but, you also make a couple changes in the ecu for max speed and drivability.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I’ll be honest this is how I’ve been looking at it as well. This gives us the freedom to pick and choose what tweaks to make and what we don’t want. For example, JB4 is tried and true, so let that make your extra power but, you also make a couple changes in the ecu for max speed and drivability.
Trust me, you're not seeing this right. What you're describing is using a katana to cut your sandwich, then taking your butter knife in to battle.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Trust me, you're not seeing this right. What you're describing is using a katana to cut your sandwich, then taking your butter knife in to battle.
I guess some of us simpletons are ok with a butter knife 😂

I mean, that is the beauty of open source code right? It can be extended by anyone in their own way. Some may use it to create their own Stage 2. Others may just want to change the speed limiter. Others (like me) want to make their manual easier to drive by getting rid of rev hang.

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
I guess some of us simpletons are ok with a butter knife 😂

I mean, that is the beauty of open source code right? It can be extended by anyone in their own way. Some may use it to create their own Stage 2. Others may just want to change the speed limiter. Others (like me) want to make their manual easier to drive by getting rid of rev hang.

Nothing needs to be changed in the code to do that.

You would need to unlock your ecu for port flashing, and then flash a cal with 2 bytes changed for the vehicle speed.

It's a lot of work just to end up in the handcuffs of the piggyback anyway.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Nothing needs to be changed in the code to do that.

You would need to unlock your ecu for port flashing, and then flash a cal with 2 bytes changed for the vehicle speed.

It's a lot of work just to end up in the handcuffs of the piggyback anyway.
I figured that, yup. I just meant “code” as in this solution as a whole.

You said it makes “no” sense. I have a hard time believing it makes literally no sense. Why? 😂 Maybe we aren’t seeing it the same way.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
I figured that, yup. I just meant “code” as in this solution as a whole.

You said it makes “no” sense. I have a hard time believing it makes literally no sense. Why? 😂 Maybe we aren’t seeing it the same way.
Because the whole point of a piggyback tune is to avoid reflashing the ecu or adjust things that you otherwise wouldn't be able to. It also circumvents the protections that the factory ecu has built into it. Things like overboost protection.

With this solution, the ecu is unlocked for port flashing and we have the ability to modify any map.

Stacking a piggyback only makes sense on proprietary/off the shelf tunes where you're trying to get some more juice. If you just want to run more boost, you can do it with a real tune, with less complexity than a piggyback.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Because the whole point of a piggyback tune is to avoid reflashing the ecu or adjust things that you otherwise wouldn't be able to. It also circumvents the protections that the factory ecu has built into it. Things like overboost protection.

With this solution, the ecu is unlocked for port flashing and we have the ability to modify any map.

Stacking a piggyback only makes sense on proprietary/off the shelf tunes where you're trying to get some more juice. If you just want to run more boost, you can do it with a real tune, with less complexity than a piggyback.
For sure. I understand that when you have full access to the ecu, you’ll of course want to take advantage of that. Increased boost, multi-port, etc. What I’m saying is that not everyone is interested in more power or wants to develop their tune to make more power, and the testing that goes along with that. Using the analogy from earlier, some of us want a katana and some of us want a butter knife lol.

I’m saying that some may be interested in simpler tweaks, which can only be modified by flashing. I’m sure that need can be appreciated.

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
For sure. I understand that when you have full access to the ecu, you’ll of course want to take advantage of that. Increased boost, multi-port, etc. What I’m saying is that not everyone is interested in more power or wants to develop their tune to make more power, and the testing that goes along with that. Using the analogy from earlier, some of us want a katana and some of us want a butter knife lol.

I’m saying that some may be interested in simpler tweaks, which can only be modified by flashing. I’m sure that need can be appreciated.

I can absolutely understand the desire to make changes that the piggyback can't. And I totally get that tuning is daunting.

The fact is, with this solution you're investing either

- a relatively small amount of money and a substantial amount of time into the raspberry pi option, or

- a decent amount of money into the tactrix option.

It's enough work where I'd be ditching a piggyback in a heartbeat if I were making the $/time investment.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I can absolutely understand the desire to make changes that the piggyback can't. And I totally get that tuning is daunting.

The fact is, with this solution you're investing either

- a relatively small amount of money and a substantial amount of time into the raspberry pi option, or

- a decent amount of money into the tactrix option.

It's enough work where I'd be ditching a piggyback in a heartbeat if I were making the $/time investment.
Definitely, makes sense 👍 It was only an idea/opinion.

I like Linux and I’m cheap, and I already have a Pi and a PiCAN2. And this kind of stuff is fun for me being an engineer. So it’s a win win.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
The only reason to run a piggyback is because some people believe you can avoid a TD1 flag. If you are flashing the ECU, even if it's just to adjust the vmax limit, it is quite obvious your ECU has been tampered with. You might as well run an actual flash tune and avoid all the other downsides of a piggyback.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
ECU tuning is a steep learning curve... open source tuning is an even steeper learning curve. Not as user friendly software, some CLI stuff etc. I can understand guys being a little hesitant to jump in.

@2018gti happy to help you get started on your setup--pican2 should work just fine. Can continue to use the JB4 and/or start to experiment a little with the open source /flashing tuning stuff as you want.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
standing ovation for you guys for going after this.

eventually y'all should find a way to make some money off us less-knowledgeable folks.