GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Only took 4 days. Pics of clutch.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
Tell them you want them to put a dial indicator on the crank and measure end play, and include that measurement on the paperwork.
Ok I will. Thanks for the info because honestly I wouldn't know what to ask them to check exactly. Do you know what acceptable measurements are?

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Ok I will. Thanks for the info because honestly I wouldn't know what to ask them to check exactly. Do you know what acceptable measurements are?

Attachments

• D1626F3D-3BAA-45D6-B2A6-BC3E32F47C25.png
    D1626F3D-3BAA-45D6-B2A6-BC3E32F47C25.png
    211.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 2590AB0B-83E0-4887-88D8-8618A8D35CAD.png
    2590AB0B-83E0-4887-88D8-8618A8D35CAD.png
    300.1 KB · Views: 143

Hoon

Autocross Champion

I don't have the service manual handy, but typically it's about .003".

Hopefully someone else can look up the spec for you, and the range VW accepts.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
Max. crank walk limited to 0.3mm, anything above is considered bad.
I might bring this to VW before I even see my dealer. I think with something with such a tight tolerance I would be more comfortable getting an opinion from a 3rd party that has nothing to do with paying for this repair.

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
Also the car has not been TD1 so technically the factory warranty is still in tact. And that VW dealer told me they have done lots of factory warranty work on cars with tunes. He said they just don't report it.

Legally, they can't just void your entire warranty, but they can deny your claims to that warranty if they find evidence of modification and it's pertinent to the parts needing replacement.

Obviously, they're not going to deny you warranty work on your seat or something because you're tuned.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I might bring this to VW before I even see my dealer. I think with something with such a tight tolerance I would be more comfortable getting an opinion from a 3rd party that has nothing to do with paying for this repair.

Obviously, procedure from VW manual shows engine opened up and crankshaft exposed, but no need for a teardown...they can put dial indicator on the crank pulley and by operating the clutch, needle on the indicator will show amount of axial movement.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
So the clutch completely went. Was driving down the highway going about 70 and went to down shift to 5th to get ready to take an exit and it just wouldnt go into gear. Finally was able to get it back into 6th but car wouldn't do anything. Pedal went to the floor and never came back up.

No check engine lights or anything but a very rough idle from what seems to be from whatever happened to the clutch. It feels like a washing machine with all the clothes on one side haha.

Spent an hour in the cold waiting for a tow. The dealership called one out right away for me and it got towed back there. New clutch comes in the mail Thursday and they are putting it in.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So the clutch completely went. Was driving down the highway going about 70 and went to down shift to 5th to get ready to take an exit and it just wouldnt go into gear. Finally was able to get it back into 6th but car wouldn't do anything. Pedal went to the floor and never came back up.

No check engine lights or anything but a very rough idle from what seems to be from whatever happened to the clutch. It feels like a washing machine with all the clothes on one side haha.

Spent an hour in the cold waiting for a tow. The dealership called one out right away for me and it got towed back there. New clutch comes in the mail Thursday and they are putting it in.

A better outcome than crank walk.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
Haha for sure. Although I still want that checked, I do believe this was 100% clutch. I had an appointment to have it checked at VW on Friday but that's on hold until the car drives.

Last edited:

CFB_GTA

Passed Driver's Ed
If there is a concern of crankwalk, and you are planning to put a stiffer clutch in there, it might exacerbate the problem. Just confirm with your dealer you would be covered under warranty if that did happen.