GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Only took 4 days. Pics of clutch.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
Rigle was planning on tune....having to get a clutch is part of it. I wouldn't panic/sell yet. I would try seeing what seller does....If he can get it where he buys clutch (improved!) and they do labor that won't suck.

Mud
They made an appointment for next Monday. He said the tech will look at it and see if he can see how much is left on the clutch.....is there a way to see that without pulling the tranny on this car?

He said if it needed a new clutch they would put a stock one back in or I could purchase an upgraded one at my expense and they would put it in.
Im still concerned as to whether they will try to tell me the clutch still looks and feels fine. If it doesn't slip for them I'm sure thats what they will say. As of right now it doesn't slip everytime I drive it.

They also want to take the tune off. His first suggestion was to flash back to stock and see if the clutch holds fine that way. I told him just flashing back to stock wouldnt be an acceptable solution since damage has already been done to the clutch and I dont want a bandaid fix that would give me problems again in a couple months.

At the end of the conversation he did say it sounds like it will need a new clutch so I think they will probably at least cover labor which I would be happy with because like I said I already putchased a clutch anyways because I planned on going stage 2.

And I did confirm with APR that I could transfer their warranty to my name for $150 if I wanted to keep that tune and coverage. The problem with that is i would have to buy APR products for every suppporting mod like downpipe and intake which I'm not going to do.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
They made an appointment for next Monday. He said the tech will look at it and see if he can see how much is left on the clutch.....is there a way to see that without pulling the tranny on this car?

He said if it needed a new clutch they would put a stock one back in or I could purchase an upgraded one at my expense and they would put it in.
Im still concerned as to whether they will try to tell me the clutch still looks and feels fine. If it doesn't slip for them I'm sure thats what they will say. As of right now it doesn't slip everytime I drive it.

They also want to take the tune off. His first suggestion was to flash back to stock and see if the clutch holds fine that way. I told him just flashing back to stock wouldnt be an acceptable solution since damage has already been done to the clutch and I dont want a bandaid fix that would give me problems again in a couple months.

At the end of the conversation he did say it sounds like it will need a new clutch so I think they will probably at least cover labor which I would be happy with because like I said I already putchased a clutch anyways because I planned on going stage 2.

And I did confirm with APR that I could transfer their warranty to my name for $150 if I wanted to keep that tune and coverage. The problem with that is i would have to buy APR products for every suppporting mod like downpipe and intake which I'm not going to do.

If the dealer can remove the tune I would have them do that and get an aftermarket clutch and let them install it and then go with Cobb.

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Get a new clutch put in. You don't want another stock clutch and there isn't really a way to tell the condition of the clutch without pulling off the transmission besides test driving. Temps, driving condition, scenario all affect if you can get it to slip or not but just show them the video say its already caused problems and get the clutch you bought installed in.

Don't transfer the APR tune to your name because it only transfers that tune. If you plan on going stage 2 then you'd probably want a proper tune to go with it.

Your main concern should be crank walk. Try and recreate the sticking if you can and get it addressed

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
If the dealer can remove the tune I would have them do that and get an aftermarket clutch and let them install it and then go with Cobb.
That's the plan! I already have everything ordered so it would be hard to give up now lol.

ACT Street Clutch
MAPerformance intake, downpipe and stage 2 tune.
RS7 plugs
Cobb access port
Shifter bushing kit
Stainless clutch cable
Bleeder block upgrade
And fluidampr pully.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
Get a new clutch put in. You don't want another stock clutch and there isn't really a way to tell the condition of the clutch without pulling off the transmission besides test driving. Temps, driving condition, scenario all affect if you can get it to slip or not but just show them the video say its already caused problems and get the clutch you bought installed in.

Don't transfer the APR tune to your name because it only transfers that tune. If you plan on going stage 2 then you'd probably want a proper tune to go with it.

Your main concern should be crank walk. Try and recreate the sticking if you can and get it addressed
The guy did say they want to do a full diagnosis of the car besides just the clutch. So I will ask them to look at that for sure. They won used car dealer of the year a couple times and they do seem like they are going to take care of this so I have to say so far I cant complain.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That's the plan! I already have everything ordered so it would be hard to give up now lol.

ACT Street Clutch
MAPerformance intake, downpipe and stage 2 tune.
RS7 plugs
Cobb access port
Shifter bushing kit
Stainless clutch cable
Bleeder block upgrade
And fluidampr pully.

Whose tune are you going to put on the AP?

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
The guy did say they want to do a full diagnosis of the car besides just the clutch. So I will ask them to look at that for sure. They won used car dealer of the year a couple times and they do seem like they are going to take care of this so I have to say so far I cant complain.
Yea if they said it wasn't tuned when they sold it to you, and then later found it was tuned you have some leverage especially if the tuned caused the damage. (Which obviously you say it did)

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
This biggest disappointment of all this is that I've been driving the car for a week thinking it was stock power and that going stage 2 would be a huge improvement. While it will be better it won't be as drastic as I thought...... I really need to get under this car and see if anything else is done to it besides the tune and lowering springs.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Now you know it's tuned. Yes, you have APR+, but how do you know that they would replace the engine? It would be so easy to deny it. Your factory warranty is gone. You have a block with a suspected catastrophic problem. I'm with Diggs. They misrepresented the car. Get your money back. There are plenty of used GTIs without this problem.

At least get a buddy to help you do the visual test (pulley).

BTW the MA Lemon Law has to do with not being able to fix a problem after three tries. Unless something has changed, I don't see how it applies to your case. Fraud does.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
Whose tune are you going to put on the AP?
Well I have options....I can use the cobb ots tunes or I can use the MAPerformance tunes. MAP is sending me their stage 1 tune and stage 2 91 and 93 octane. I was planning on their stage 2 with 93 octane but I may test the others just to see. Ive heard nothing but good things about their tunes. Not the most power but safe and still pretty good. They claim 315hp and 382 tq.

Yea if they said it wasn't tuned when they sold it to you, and then later found it was tuned you have some leverage especially if the tuned caused the damage. (Which obviously you say it did)
Yea the salesman said it wasnt but I dont think he knew anything about it. Service guys might have. But yea I would assume the tune caused the clutch to slip. It's probably why the previous owner traded it in.
APR said the tune was done at 10k so its only been on there for 8k but thats enough time to expose the weak clutch. Some guys only get a few days out of it haha.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
Now you know it's tuned. Yes, you have APR+, but how do you know that they would replace the engine? It would be so easy to deny it. Your factory warranty is gone. You have a block with a suspected catastrophic problem. I'm with Diggs. They misrepresented the car. Get your money back. There are plenty of used GTIs without this problem.

At least get a buddy to help you do the visual test (pulley).

BTW the MA Lemon Law has to do with not being able to fix a problem after three tries. Unless something has changed, I don't see how it applies to your case. Fraud does.
Yes but right now it's just all hypothetical. There could be absolutely nothing wrong with the car except a bad clutch which the dealer already said they would fix. I'm going to have them check the engine and ask them to show me the play in the pully. Ive explaind the situation to the VW dealer that did the APR tune and they said they would look at the car so if I need a second opinion I may bring it to them.
Yes the factory warranty is gone but I have an extended warranty up to 75k that covers all the same stuff. They dont know about the tune but lets say they found out.....the car and warranty were both sold to me with the tune so it would be much harder for them to deny a claim if something happened down the road.
If they somehow found out and did deny a claim I guess I would have to sue the dealer for selling me a car that already had a tune which caused the claim to be denied.

In a way I feel like this kind of protects me from doing my own tune.

So I will make sure this car is 100% and I will get a 2nd opinion if I question anything. Like I said it could be a blessing in disguise. Free labor on a clutch and also some leverage in the case I ever need my warranty.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
Also the car has not been TD1 so technically the factory warranty is still in tact. And that VW dealer told me they have done lots of factory warranty work on cars with tunes. He said they just don't report it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Also the car has not been TD1 so technically the factory warranty is still in tact. And that VW dealer told me they have done lots of factory warranty work on cars with tunes. He said they just don't report it.

Same as my dealer.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

Boom. Take it in and say "please fix under warranty". Don't tune it until fixed

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Tell them you want them to put a dial indicator on the crank and measure end play, and include that measurement on the paperwork.

Edit: apparently there is a VW special tool specific for this. The tools are irrelevant, just get an end play or "float" measurement.