GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Only took 4 days. Pics of clutch.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
Do you know if it's been tuned or not?

I'd hope not with only 18k miles on it.
I don't know for sure. I have my own plans to tune it soon but not until this is figured out and a new clutch is put in.

I would like to bring it to VW to find that out too. I specifically asked the dealer I bought it from if they knew of a tune and they said no. They also sold me the car and gave me paperwork satating it had the factory warranty in tact. So if it turns out that is has been tuned and there is no factory warranty anymore I would probably have more leverage against the dealership since they didnt actually sell me what I thought I was buying.

Just to be clear I don't want to shit all over this dealership just yet because they have been great so far. They have been closed since yesterday at 2 pm and I called them around 1 and left a message so they dont even know about this issue yet. If the car was tuned they probably have no idea as it was a trade in so I can't fault them if they don't know. And for all I know they may take care of this with no questions asked.

I'm just going through all the scenarios trying to figure out how I can make sure the car is checked properly and not by a dealer who could possibly try to avoid it so they aren't liable.

I also have an aftermarket bumper to bumper warranty on this car until 75k. So worst case scenario they could get involved.....and I dont see how they would ever know of a tune since only vw checks for that stuff with their own software.

Last edited:

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
Unfortunately the dealership probably won’t want to diagnose crank walk without some associated fault codes.

Normally with crank walk you’ll get crank position faults and or misfires.

Definitely stinks to have issues just after purchasing a car. Hopefully it’s resolved without too much drama.
I appreciate it. I honestly think it is probably just the clutch as I have had no other issues other than it just slipping. And there could easily be another reason the pedal kind of stuck while it was slipping.....like too much heat. It fully released after I got off the gas.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Yeah, take it back to where you bought it and allow them the chance to put it right, if needed they will have to take it to the dealership, that way they pay if there is a bill, if it turns out to be warranty work then win win.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
You won't get a new engine if it's tuned. Job #1 is to find that out. Start checking with the main tune vendors to find out. Sucks, but this must be done. If it was tuned and the dealer told you it wasn't, it should be no problem returning the car.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Rigle,

good luck and your attitude is great.

props

Jim
+1. I would be kinda upset. First thing, OP, did you call VW customer service or take it to a dealer to get the factory warranty transferred into your name? Also, if it's a dealer you are going to normally use, show them your extended warranty. They might put the information, such as the policy number and the company phone number into your profile. Also, I made PDF of my policy and stored it on my phone.

Whose extended warranty did you buy, if I can ask?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You won't get a new engine if it's tuned. Job #1 is to find that out. Start checking with the main tune vendors to find out. Sucks, but this must be done. If it was tuned and the dealer told you it wasn't, it should be no problem returning the car.
Hope it's written on the sales contract.:)

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
I know VW wouldn't replace it but its possible my extended warranty would or the dealer I purchased the car from would because of the lemon law. They would also have the option to buy the car back. From what I understand if they make an offer to buy it back I would have to take it.

+1. I would be kinda upset. First thing, OP, did you call VW customer service or take it to a dealer to get the factory warranty transferred into your name? Also, if it's a dealer you are going to normally use, show them your extended warranty. They might put the information, such as the policy number and the company phone number into your profile. Also, I made PDF of my policy and stored it on my phone.

Whose extended warranty did you buy, if I can ask?
Haha surprisingly I'm not upset at all. The way I see it its either just the clutch or I get a new engine. I really don't think I would care if it was tuned either as I plan on going stage 2 right away anyways.....but I guess I would be more comfortable knowing I'm the first with a tune on the car. I havent been able to talk to anyone yet because this happened Saturday afternoon and everyone has been closed since. Im about to start making calls nooow and hopefully they aren't still closed for martin luther king day.

I read the while policy but I still cant remember the name of the company. Paperwork is back out in the car.

Also, did you try to make it slip by taking off in a higher gear?
I was in a higher gear when it started slipping. But I wasnt trying to make it slip. That video was taken going about 75 and barely touching the gas and it was slipping in 6th. I drove the car about 20 miles yesterday and it didnt slip at all really......did one hard pull just to see and it may have had a very tiny slip in third.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
Little update....Car was and still is APR+ Tuned. So bad news is it's tuned but the good news is it's the least aggressive tune and it has the APR powertrain warranty. They are also a mod friendly dealer they said so if I ever needed to bring it in I don't think I would have a problem there at least with my extended warranty since they wouldnt be throwing anyone under the bus. He also told me they have done work for people with tuned cars under the factory warranty. Even things like turbos.

This is the only gti I've ever driven and I did think it was a little powerful for what I thought was stock power.

The guy at the dealership where the car was serviced said I may be able to have the APR warranty transferred to my name but I need to call them to confirm that.....but the tune I'm doing isnt APR so thats probably pointless.

Also from my understanding when using a Cobb it copies your factory tune the first time you use it. So the first time I plug it in its going to copy the APR tune I have? So I wont have a stock tune ever unless I go get it put back at APR?

Calling the used car dealer now to figure out what to do about all this.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
can you guys elaborate more on this 'crank walk'? What is it, what are the symptoms, what happens when things go bad, etc...?
Bearings in the crank basically go bad or have play in them so the crank moves around in the block more than it should eventually completely destroying it.

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
Little update....Car was and still is APR+ Tuned. So bad news is it's tuned but the good news is it's the least aggressive tune and it has the APR powertrain warranty. They are also a mod friendly dealer they said so if I ever needed to bring it in I don't think I would have a problem there at least with my extended warranty since they wouldnt be throwing anyone under the bus. He also told me they have done work for people with tuned cars under the factory warranty. Even things like turbos.

This is the only gti I've ever driven and I did think it was a little powerful for what I thought was stock power.

The guy at the dealership where the car was serviced said I may be able to have the APR warranty transferred to my name but I need to call them to confirm that.....but the tune I'm doing isnt APR so thats probably pointless.

Also from my understanding when using a Cobb it copies your factory tune the first time you use it. So the first time I plug it in its going to copy the APR tune I have? So I wont have a stock tune ever unless I go get it put back at APR?

Calling the used car dealer now to figure out what to do about all this.

Yeesh.

So then, yeah, the clutch is probably done because they can't take anything more than stock power levels. That's probably why the previous owner dumped it.

I'd get out of this thing if you have the opportunity. Used dealers usually sell as-is, so I doubt you'll get much relief from them without a fight.

GTI-CAL

Passed Driver's Ed
You can check crankwalk by seeing crankshaft pulley movement when you press the clutch in. I dont known the allowable range but if the crankshaft pulley is moving a lot, then one or more of the bearings are worn or have fallen off.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Rigle was planning on tune....having to get a clutch is part of it. I wouldn't panic/sell yet. I would try seeing what seller does....If he can get it where he buys clutch (improved!) and they do labor that won't suck.

Mud