GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

One horn tone is out - how to troubleshoot?

tlovejr

Car(s)
2019 e-Golf SE
One of the tones in 2019 e-Golf is out. I've narrowed it down to the horn on the front right. Whats the next step in troubleshooting? I assume the problem is either, a) the physical horn unit itself, or b) a fuse.

I'll have the front bumper off in a week or two for a headlight install, so that'd be the optimal time to replace the physical horn. But I'm not sure yet if thats what needs to be done.

Thanks!

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
One of the tones in 2019 e-Golf is out. I've narrowed it down to the horn on the front right. Whats the next step in troubleshooting? I assume the problem is either, a) the physical horn unit itself, or b) a fuse.

I'll have the front bumper off in a week or two for a headlight install, so that'd be the optimal time to replace the physical horn. But I'm not sure yet if thats what needs to be done.

Thanks!
You could check the fuse before you take the bumper off...

And it could be a wiring issue, make sure you trace back what you can.

And lastly it would be funny if you installed one of those train horns that the truck crowd loves.

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
once you take the bumper off, try swapping the horns and see if the same tone still works, or if the other one suddenly works? I have no clue what the harness plug for them looks like but hopefully they'd be the same. It's possible one of the grounds is bad too, make sure the brackets and mounting bolts are clean and tight.

cptnhoek

Car(s)
2017 AllTrack DSG
I just replaced both of mine in my AllTrack - From what I've seen they do tend to just go out sometimes.. I replaced with the Hella SuperTones.

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
My right side horn has been cutting in and out for a few years now, started on a very rainy drive to work. I have some Hellas to replace them both, but I've been lazy about it since it still works, just much weaker on that side 😂