GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil

suspiciouspackage

Ready to race!
So let's say that I have a car that originally used conventional, change every 3k miles, oil. Can I just switch to synthetic on the next change and keep using synthetic after that? Or will something happen to my engine?

GT5050

Passed Driver's Ed
Should be fine. You just don't want to mix the two. Meaning don't top off with synthetic on top of conventional, or vice-versa.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
You can only switch to synthetic but there is no switching back after that.

Wrong. You can switch back to a regular dino oil without any issues. That is a bogus statement that some people started back in the day.

Also, when you change from Dino oil to Synthetic you are mixing them in the engine anyways as there is always oil left in there. It doesn't hurt to mix them like that, just don't have synthetic and add a quart of any oil to top it off again for whatever reason.

Also, you can go 5k oil changes on synthetic, so skip the 3k and do 5k.

suspiciouspackage

Ready to race!
Wrong. You can switch back to a regular dino oil without any issues. That is a bogus statement that some people started back in the day.

Also, when you change from Dino oil to Synthetic you are mixing them in the engine anyways as there is always oil left in there. It doesn't hurt to mix them like that, just don't have synthetic and add a quart of any oil to top it off again for whatever reason.

Also, you can go 5k oil changes on synthetic, so skip the 3k and do 5k.

So how come when it comes to the VW maintenance they change at 10k?

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
So how come when it comes to the VW maintenance they change at 10k?

To save money. I highly do not recommend you change every 10k on a Turbo car. That turbo puts oil to a serious test and will build up in the turbo itself and is not a good idea.

Run 5k oil changes with Synthetic. 5k you do it, then dealer, then you, then dealer.

On a NA car, you can do 10k oil changes fine with a good synthetic. But BITOG and others here with test results have shown 10k isn't a good thing.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
thats becouse VW engines are better engineered than Toyotas

Not really. It's just to save money so VW can actually give you free maintenance. Look at BMW. They have the high maintenance like VW, but they are having sludge issues due to it on some cars. So people are now doing it shorter intervals.

FinalOne

Ready to race!
Not really. It's just to save money so VW can actually give you free maintenance. Look at BMW. They have the high maintenance like VW, but they are having sludge issues due to it on some cars. So people are now doing it shorter intervals.

No free maintenance in Europe though. there's more to it than that mate.

pure_lunatic

Ready to race!
BITOG and others here with test results have shown 10k isn't a good thing.

This isnt entirely accurate by my recollection. There are so many variables to consider when determining an oil change interval. Driving style, climate, oil consumption and blow by of your particular motor, etc... These are just a few of the ones that make this a difficult number to determine.

Some UOA's have been posted showing individuals that would easily get 10K on a fill, others a bit less. Again, the amount of variables to consider can be overwhelming.

I'd wager that a good rule of thumb for the TSI would be between 5-7.5k miles or 2x changes a year on a quality synthetic. Some other less conservative folks might feel comfortable doing 10k/1year. The only real way to determine the "best" (cost effective/efficient) interval is to monitor your oil consumption and regularly perform UOAs over the life of the vehicle. Keep in mind that fuel dillution and additive depletion are likely the chief factors that will determine the life of your synthetic oil in this application.

I am admittedly not an expert on this subject matter but I have done my fair share of research.

Keep in mind that all of the synthetics that meet VW 502 spec. are of excellent quality. Choose one that best fits your climate/driving sytle/budget/peace of mind, and you should be just fine.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
UOA's do not show if the turbo is having a build up of sludge/oil due to the heat it produces. And 10k on any TURBO car is a big nono. It is just a known fact. If you plan to keep your car for a long time, do not do 10k oil changes.

This isnt entirely accurate by my recollection. There are so many variables to consider when determining an oil change interval. Driving style, climate, oil consumption and blow by of your particular motor, etc... These are just a few of the ones that make this a difficult number to determine.

Some UOA's have been posted showing individuals that would easily get 10K on a fill, others a bit less. Again, the amount of variables to consider can be overwhelming.

I'd wager that a good rule of thumb for the TSI would be between 5-7.5k miles or 2x changes a year on a quality synthetic. Some other less conservative folks might feel comfortable doing 10k/1year. The only real way to determine the "best" (cost effective/efficient) interval is to monitor your oil consumption and regularly perform UOAs over the life of the vehicle. Keep in mind that fuel dillution and additive depletion are likely the chief factors that will determine the life of your synthetic oil in this application.

I am admittedly not an expert on this subject matter but I have done my fair share of research.

Keep in mind that all of the synthetics that meet VW 502 spec. are of excellent quality. Choose one that best fits your climate/driving sytle/budget/peace of mind, and you should be just fine.

pure_lunatic

Ready to race!
And 10k on any TURBO car is a big nono. It is just a known fact. If you plan to keep your car for a long time, do not do 10k oil changes.

Quite a statement...

Even though I agree with you and that 10K is pushing my comfort level, can you better support this argument?

I'm a mechanical engineer and I review thousands of UOAs and other automotive fluid analysis a year: buses, trains, trolleys... engine oil, trans. fluid, hydraulic fluid, gear oil, compressor oil, fuel samples, coolant. The list goes on.

I've studied under a senior engineer who's worked for Exxon-Mobil for 30+ years. I help develop PM schedules based on experience and oil analysis for the nation's 5th largest transit authority.

The community needs a better understanding of the countless factors involved. Not people making statements with unsupported "facts." The internet already has an abundance of those kinds of threads.

Last edited:

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Talk to anyone who has had any form of a car with a turbo on it. Ask them what happens if you don't change their oil for a long period of time like 10k. Please do, ask shops that specialize in turbo builds, etc.

Engineering experience means nothing on this as I am a engineer myself but I don't go throwing it around at people. This is just plain common sense in the way the turbo works and how hot the oil gets.

And this is from 20+ years of experience with automotive and turbos myself.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4553030 Good topic regarding this.

Quite a statement...

Even though I agree with you and that 10K is pushing my comfort level, can you better support this argument?

I'm a mechanical engineer and I review thousands of UOAs and other automotive fluid analysis a year: buses, trains, trolleys... engine oil, trans. fluid, hydraulic fluid, gear oil, compressor oil, fuel samples, coolant. The list goes on.

I've studied under a senior engineer who's worked for Exxon-Mobil for 30+ years. I help develop PM schedules based on experience and oil analysis for the nation's 5th largest transit authority.

The community needs a better understanding of the countless factors involved. Not people making statements with unsupported "facts." The internet already has an abundance of those kinds of threads.

Last edited:

pure_lunatic

Ready to race!
Talk to anyone who has had any form of a car with a turbo on it.

-You're talking to one. Multiple vehicles. Thousands of miles. Always self-maintained.

Ask them what happens if you don't change their oil for a long period of time like 10k.

-Do I need to go over the basic variables with you again? Or are all cars/motors/drivers/climates/oils identical and easily understood with a blanket statement?

Please do, ask shops that specialize in turbo builds, etc.

-I work in one. We rebuild hundreds of turbo powered vehicles every year that weigh 35,000+ lbs. and drive approx. 35,000 city miles per year.

Engineering experience means nothing on this as I am a engineer myself but I don't go throwing it around at people.

-You're an engineer yet you haven't supported your opinions with something tangible. The only thing I am throwing around are facts.

This is just plain common sense in the way the turbo works and how hot the oil gets.

-Common sense? Absolutely not.
Do turbos get hot? Yes.

-Nice thread. Clearly supports the opinions I've expressed numerous times in this thread. Maybe you should have another read?