GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil temp 235

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Bringing this thread back from the dead. I know our engines are water and not air cooled, but I wonder if removing the stock intake block of plate on the passenger side would help keep underhood temperatures NOTICEABLY lower (more than 1-2 degC).

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Bringing this thread back from the dead. I know our engines are water and not air cooled, but I wonder if removing the stock intake block of plate on the passenger side would help keep underhood temperatures NOTICEABLY lower (more than 1-2 degC).

You're better off removing the weather seal from the wiper cowl.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
I've never seen my oil temperature go above 225...

Generally between 210-220...

45,000 miles of total driving, 34,000 miles running Stage 2

FactoryR

Ready to race!
Living in Texas, even in summer time, I never see mine peak > 230. Normally its around 220. Last week I took a road trip to Colorado and driving over Monarch Pass and Independence Pass, both big time elevation/steep climbs I saw 235--238 which is the highest I've ever seen in 85k miles of driving Golf R. Admittedly, I've never tracked my car, so I'm sure this would also drive the temps a lot higher as others have alluded.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
i have seen 280 on a 50 degree day..

great track..

beers

I've seen 275 on track. I change the oil after I've gotten it that hot though. 245 to 250 is normal at an autocross in Florida.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Meh, regular driving in im the 220s-low 230s, If im getting on it a bunch i can get in the low 240s. Not concerned about 240 one bit.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
235°? Hell it's just getting warmed up 😁.

Seriously nothing to worry about, lots of factors go into where oil temp goes, and stays, including the oil itself. Of course ambient temps and air movement over heat exchangers (radiators) play a part in shedding oil heat since the oil is somewhat water-cooled (tiny cooler on the filter housing). High heat in stop and go? Higher oil temps natch. Our cars are water-cooled AND oil cooled. Internals that have oil contact use it for carrying heat away. Jets spray undersides of pistons for cooling and lubrication, think that area gets hot? Anyway, ya get the idea.

Oil will absorb and release heat as a function of it's use. Modern oils can carry quite a bit of heat absorption capacity before they break down thermally, especially grp. IV and V oils. Fun fact, heavier oils in general, can run "hotter" than thinner ones because of the endothermic and exothermic processes, the former overides the latter due to viscometric mass. BUT, the heavier weight also has more capacity for absorption and resists thermal breakdown of the barrier films better than the lighter stuff, again, in general. Start playing with oil chemistry and additive packages and this skews things a bit. Anyway, if you use a good, modern engine oil, in the recommended grades, nothing to concern yourself about.

If you really are concerned, start analyzing your oil, especially if you track it. There will be a certain point where all the heat takes its toll on the oil and you need to change it out. Everyday driving? Well, depends on how anal you are. Personally, I wouldn't worry unless I saw consistent, unusually high temps and I wasn't doing anything to cause them. Happy Motoring.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
On especially slow commutes during the warmer months here in Atlanta, I'll regularly see 235 in my DSG. These are the days where my infotainment is showing an average speed of 9 mph for the trip home haha.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
235°? Hell it's just getting warmed up 😁.

Seriously nothing to worry about, lots of factors go into where oil temp goes, and stays, including the oil itself. Of course ambient temps and air movement over heat exchangers (radiators) play a part in shedding oil heat since the oil is somewhat water-cooled (tiny cooler on the filter housing). High heat in stop and go? Higher oil temps natch. Our cars are water-cooled AND oil cooled. Internals that have oil contact use it for carrying heat away. Jets spray undersides of pistons for cooling and lubrication, think that area gets hot? Anyway, ya get the idea.

Oil will absorb and release heat as a function of it's use. Modern oils can carry quite a bit of heat absorption capacity before they break down thermally, especially grp. IV and V oils. Fun fact, heavier oils in general, can run "hotter" than thinner ones because of the endothermic and exothermic processes, the former overides the latter due to viscometric mass. BUT, the heavier weight also has more capacity for absorption and resists thermal breakdown of the barrier films better than the lighter stuff, again, in general. Start playing with oil chemistry and additive packages and this skews things a bit. Anyway, if you use a good, modern engine oil, in the recommended grades, nothing to concern yourself about.

If you really are concerned, start analyzing your oil, especially if you track it. There will be a certain point where all the heat takes its toll on the oil and you need to change it out. Everyday driving? Well, depends on how anal you are. Personally, I wouldn't worry unless I saw consistent, unusually high temps and I wasn't doing anything to cause them. Happy Motoring.

At what temp point do you think you need to change it. I've seen oil tests where oils protective properties start to drop off above 270 and the oil is damaged for a good synthetic, some lower. If I see above 270 on track, it's getting changed. Period.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
At what temp point do you think you need to change it. I've seen oil tests where oils protective properties start to drop off above 270 and the oil is damaged for a good synthetic, some lower. If I see above 270 on track, it's getting changed. Period.

It's going to depend on the oil and how you use it. Thats why I suggest oil anlysis to be certain. Anything beyond that is speculation. I have seen some grp. V stuff consistently go above 300° and not lose significant film strength. Good call on changing after track use like that though. Oil is cheap.