GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil smells like gas

DAS_STIG

Banned
Hi guys. Was assessing my oil level this morning as I’m going to change it when my LiquidMoly order arrives Friday and I absent-mindedly smelled the napkin and noticed a pretty damn strong gas smell. The oil level is fine and isn’t too dirty. I’m gonna send the oil off to Blackstone but it’ll be a couple week turnaround. The oil has about 7K miles, dealer oil. Car has 20K overall.

If the results end up being >5% or so could it have something to do with very recently adding a front mount intercooler and the ECU hasn’t caught up? The car is running fine otherwise but the idle vibrate seems a bit more rowdy than usual; this could also be placebo.

Currently on Eurodyne stage 2, 93 octane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I don't want to see anything over 3%. 5 is really high.

3% is even pushing it. 5%, you've probably already damaged your engine.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Could be a leaky injector.

Gonna replace oil and plugs (been about 10K on a tune so probably couldn’t hurt to upgrade them) and then inspect PCV while the oil test lab does their thing. If the latter checklist didn’t do the trick we’re gonna pull the injectors and inspect their gaskets.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
It's just $34 from them, right?

Amsoil is a reseller for OAI so I usually purchase that way. The pricing might be a little bit different with an Amsoil preferred account, but it has to be within a few dollars of that

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I let the oil cool off as to see if any gas rises to the top and slowly raised the dipstick and held up a lighter to it. It’s not flammable. I called the local VW service manager who has a stage 2 gti and he said that if the dilution was in a state of causing damage that a code would’ve been thrown. He said gassy oil happens on some Rs and GTIs and is usually from sitting in bad traffic (heavy idling). Still gonna dump it asap and get it tested.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Amsoil is a reseller for OAI so I usually purchase that way. The pricing might be a little bit different with an Amsoil preferred account, but it has to be within a few dollars of that

Yep, that's the one. I was redirected to Amsoil. So I buy the kit and send it to the analysis firm and I'm good to go?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Yep, that's the one. I was redirected to Amsoil. So I buy the kit and send it to the analysis firm and I'm good to go?

Yes you pay the testing price up front when you purchase the kit

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Throw a lit match into it and see if it ignites. :D

I basically tried that. It’s not flammable yet.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I think Diggs said it already, but take the car out, and run it hard.

On the mk6 site I believe the Audi manual says to run the car at highway speed or so at 3500-4K for 30 minutes for carbon burning. I don’t know if that could help in this particular case, surely it couldn’t hurt?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
That's called an Italian tune up. What I wonder about is whether the dislodged and free floating carbon deposits can damage a running engine.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
That's called an Italian tune up. What I wonder about is whether the dislodged and free floating carbon deposits can damage a running engine.

Yeah, they call it that, the manual obviously doesn’t say that lol.

I don’t know about dislodged carbon. It’s supposed to reach a temperature where the carbon actually burns, so maybe the idea is it’s burned off, rather than pieces coming loose.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
dont idle that long in the morning...10-15 seconds is enough "warm up" time

I thought about this. Coming from aircooleds, to 16Vs then to VR6 I’ve developed some long warm up habits.