GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil recommendation for 1.8 TSI St2

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
What type and make of oil would you recommend for the 1.8 engine ? The car will be used mostly in the city on short trips (3-7 miles trips, up to 15 miles per day), at times driven spirited and other times crawling in heavy traffic. I will do less than 7k miles per year. Local climate has moderately cold winters (down to -10 C) and hot summers (up to 40 C). The car will mostl likely have APR St2, or at least St1. Thanks for your opinions.

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Use your normal oil, just change it at a 5 or 7k interval instead of 10k. I personally use Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula. Most important thing is to not push the car until the oil is warm (at least 170F).

What type and make of oil would you recommend for the 1.8 engine ? The car will be used mostly in the city on short trips (3-7 miles trips, up to 15 miles per day), at times driven spirited. I will do less than 7k miles per year. Local climate has cold winters (down to -10 C) and hot summers (up to 40 C). The car will mostl likely have APR St2, or at least St1. Thanks for your opinions.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
For my 1.8 TSI Alltrack -18 I use Castrol 5w-30 LL (vw 504 00). In Sweden we have flexible service interval (up to 30000 km) but I change oil + filter about every 7000 - 9000 km.

Same procedure and oil for my Seat Cupra R 310 hp (same engine as in Golf R).

/Peter

PS In SE we have real Winter ;).

Last edited:

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
I have no idea what the normal oil is for the engine :) I have seen recommendations for TSI engines mostly for 5w-30, but also for 0w-30 and 5w-40. Ravenol VMP 5w-30 seems highly recommend and is available locally. Another one is Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W30. Still I'm not sure if there is one particular type and make that is best suited to my requirements.

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I've used liquimoly Leichtlauf high tech 5w40 for my last few changes (or Synthoil Premium when Leichtlauf high tech isn't available). I think it's been great, but it's kind of hard to tell beyond what the oil looks like when you drain it :confused:. It's a German company so I'm assuming it'll be available where you are. I've never seen it get below -6.5 C here, but even then the car started the same as always after having sit outside all night. Also, I use OEM oil filters because they're the same price as any aftermarket and typically higher quality.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Any VW approved 502/505 5W-40 oil should be fine for the car. The real key is to up the frequency of oil changes, as people have noted that tuned EA888.3 blocks tend to see gas buildup in the oil past 5k miles (hence why a 5,000 mile oil change is necessary for the APR+ warranty).

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
I'll do all maintenance at or before 5k miles, especially oil and air filter, since it's very likely I won't exceed 5k per year.

What about 504 rated oils, such as the Mobil 1 ESP Formula (5W30) ? Are they as good as 502 rated oils ? Assuming I change it at 5k.

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
PS Also the car will run 93 octane / 98 RON fuel or higher, most likely 100 RON, since I read that may also influence the choice of oil type / norm.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Stsge 1+. 24k annual. Change 7.5k to align with tire rotations. UOAs show plenty of TBN to go above 9k and no fuel dilution issues. Read it again...data showing tuned engine with 7.5k OCI being fine north of 9k...not speculative internet crap. Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 (VW502.00).

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have no idea what the normal oil is for the engine :) I have seen recommendations for TSI engines mostly for 5w-30 and some for 0w-30. Ravenol VMP 5w-30 seems highly recommend and is available locally. Another one is Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W30. Still I'm not sure if there is one particular type and make that is best suited to my requirements.

Look at the sticker under the hood or just use what everyone is recommending.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Everything recommended so far is close enough to identical. I personally always use 40wt over 30wt because it handles higher temperatures and abuse better, but I don't think it matters much...

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
OP needs to take the 1.8T out for a good exercising at least once a month.
Get the engine and drive line up to operating temp.
The oil needs to get up to 100C to evaporate the condensation and fuel.
It will thank you and run better also longer.

Audi Junkie

Passed Driver's Ed
I just went through a few oil choices, as a veteran at this.

It comes down to using a reduced additive (saps) VW 504 oil to help with intake deposits, or not.

In the case of short trip driving, I think you might want to consider it. We do 30 minutes for a typical drive, which helps with engine cleanliness, so we're going with a full saps oil. Also plan on doing yearly intake cleanings with CRC GDI spray, so for us deposits are no problemo.

504 is a great spec, but quite expensive to do the 2x a year changes we would like.

https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html

Is there another way to get reduced saps 504 performance, without the costs? YES!

Pennzoil Euro L 5w-30 at $22/jug https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Platinum-Euro-L-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/495194903

It carries BMW LL-04 and MB 229.51 (same as 229.5 on this graph)... 504 would just add to the licencing and testing costs, trust me it is a 504 generation or 504 equivalent oil. Even if not, it still exceeds 502 by a mile w/reduced saps...

So it far exceeds any VW 502 spec and beats 504 in piston deposits (similar to valve deposits) Again, way better than the crapola VW 502 at a similar price, and reduced deposits.

For "normal" drivers like us, we're going with full saps, 0w-40. If you like 5w-40, you are in luck, they are all the exact same basic formula with MB 229.5, but older MB 229.3 / VW 502 style are still around, like Dealer Syntec 5w-40....yikes.

Better bet in 5w-40 for people who track or otherwise want a stout oil, is a HD truck oil like Rotella or my pet HDEO, Chevron Delo 5w-40 with HT/HS of 4.1cP. Again, Euro brand pretty-boy oil is a waste, and not even that good except maybe Ravenol SSL.

0w-40 tends to be a better newer formula, MB 229.5 is taken for granted. ANY 0w-40 will be excellent, but they have a bit more variety to their formula.

Castrol with titanium and reduced calcium if you worry about LSPI, I don't. A great product, but it has been fiddled with recently, showing a modest flashpoint of 200C.

Mobil 1 FS, tried and true. I'm using it in my brand new MB Metris since I have a bunch of it already.

Pennzoil Ultra 0w-40 is what we are going with because it's great, but also because I have a bunch of other PZ Ultra 30 weight I can use for winter and to top off the extra Q of 0w-40. Aside from the high flashpiint and moly content, a lame reason to choose an oil, but it shows how much I don't care....all are great choices.

Changing every 6 months is ideal for both short trip driving as well as long haul highway miles. I reuse the filter once, just unscrew it halfway and you hear the oil gurgle oil. Then retighten for another 6 months.

If you drive less than 7500 miles a year, one change before winter is fine. If you drive over 20k a year, consider 3 changes a year. Otherwise, Spring and Fall is perfect. Even change visc if you want for winter / summer.

Last edited: