GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil pan replacement on the Golf R using four jack stands

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie

dtfd, unfortunately I've already ordered and received (though not installed yet) a plastic pan with gasket.​

Al_in_Philly, I appreciate your super informative post, indeed I wasn't even aware I needed to use sealant for the oil pan, since I thought the gasket was sufficient.​

I do have the new oil level sensor ring and a suitable torque wrench.​

I don't think I'll be able to get the OEM sealant, but I'll try to get the Permatex.​

My skill level is very low, hence don't be afraid to throw in any additional info/suggestion.​

And, yes... I'm sure it's going to be a pain crawling and working under the car, but I don't have many other options, except for paying a mechanic $300+ in labor...​

I haven't replaced the oil pan on my Golf, though I have done so on other cars. The mention of sealant came from the illustrated parts list (#17 in the illustration: https://www.vwpartsvortex.com/v-2015-volkswagen-golf-r--base--2-0l-l4-gas/engine--engine-parts ) on the VW Parts Vortex website. Of course, consult a shop manual--if for nothing else, the bolt torquing sequence and tension. I swear by vwpartsvortex.com, not only because they have excellent prices and ship quickly, but their customer service is top-notch: you might want to ask them about the sealant, as it's a branch of Burlington (NJ) VW, and as such, they know EA888 engines inside and out. They were excellent helping me with the appropriate parts for a recent brake overhaul.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I've ordered plenty of from vwpartsvortex and.overall,.great experience. More recently in Covid they seem a bit understaffed. Worth using but may require some monitoring and followup.

ilikevenice

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
@AI_in_Philly, I just sent them (VW Part Vortex) and email... let's see what they come back with.
The repair manual shows two options: plastic pan and metal pan.
In the instruction sequence, though, only the metal pan appear to require a sealant.

Oil Pan Lower Section, Removing and Installing, Metal Oil Pan
Special tools and workshop equipment required
♦ Used Oil Collection and Extraction Unit - SMN372500-
♦ Hand Drill with Plastic Brush Attachment
♦ Protective Eyewear
♦ Silicone sealant. Refer to Parts Catalog.

Oil Pan Lower Section, Removing and Installing, Plastic Oil Pan
Special tools and workshop equipment required
♦ Used Oil Collection and Extraction Unit - SMN372500-
♦ Oil Drain Plug Assembly Tool - T10549

Attachments

• 1640832769700.png
    1640832769700.png
    95 bytes · Views: 62
  • 1640832769838.png
    1640832769838.png
    100 bytes · Views: 65
  • 1640832769927.png
    1640832769927.png
    100 bytes · Views: 57
  • 1640832770110.png
    1640832770110.png
    93 bytes · Views: 56
  • 1640832770190.png
    1640832770190.png
    95 bytes · Views: 54
  • 1640832770275.png
    1640832770275.png
    91 bytes · Views: 49
  • 1640832770702.png
    1640832770702.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 1640832770435.png
    1640832770435.png
    95 bytes · Views: 54
  • 1640832770532.png
    1640832770532.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 1640832770617.png
    1640832770617.png
    105 bytes · Views: 56

gdub09

Ready to race!
If you're replacing a plastic oil pan, you don't need sealant. Just insert the gasket and torque the bolts in proper sequence. I've done several and never put sealant on. That's excessive and could cause a leak because you're basically doing a double gasket. I've never had one leak with just the gasket. You only need sealant if you're doing a steel oil pan. Just clean the block surface with brake cleaner, wipe down, install the pan, and snug the bolts. Tighten to 8nm first then go around again and do 90 degrees. Oil level sensor torque spec is 9nm. Takes maybe 30min to do this job.

Attachments

• oil pan.png
    oil pan.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 73

ilikevenice

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
@gdub09 - That's great info. I appreciate you confirming that the gasket itself suffices.
It actually helps with the process, since I believe the sealant requires several hours to cure.
I'll try to do the job tomorrow: hopefully the new pan+gasket and the new sensor o-ring will do take care of the leak, which is really annoying...

ilikevenice

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
So, I managed to replace the pan today.
I placed the R on ramps, and got enough clearance to crawl under. Not much space, not much fun... but no other options were available.
I could have jacked it up, but clearance would not have been much better and, for some reason, the ramps feel safer to me.

Anyways, after removing the old pan (which seemed to be perfectly fine - probably only the gasket was bad), I transferred the sensor into the new pan, with a new 0-ring and bolted it down (10mm socket) to 9 Nm.

Before installing the new pan, which came with a new gasket, I cleaned the area where the lower pan meets the upper pan, since it showed some rubber residues.

I used a wet 1000 grit piece of sandpaper to get it smooth.

I then mounted the new pan and slowly bolted everything down with a regular screwdriver (to be on the safe side) and tightened all 20 bolts to 8 Nm + 90-degree turn.

Filled everything up with oil (almost 6 qts), took it for a ride, and after 6 hours no leaks have been noticed.
Perhaps it's still early to declare victory... I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Since, I'm (obviously) not an expert, I don't have any particular recommendations to express here, but one thing I'd do differently is changing the bolts.

I don't think the bolts should be replaced because they stretch or deform, but even being very careful I managed to almost strip a couple of hex heads.

A full set (20 of them) can be punched online for $25 (or less perhaps).
I think they are M6 x 25 and the part # should be N-910-717-01.

I will keep my finger crossed and keep you informed on the actual outcome over time.

ilikevenice

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
After 8 days, the new pan and gasket seem to be holding up. No traces of leaks so far from the pan.
Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the cheap oil plug.
It was new, but probably not of great quality (and not OEM). It's leaking a few drops around the seal.
That will have to wait until the next oil change to get fixed...

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
After 8 days, the new pan and gasket seem to be holding up. No traces of leaks so far from the pan.
Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the cheap oil plug.
It was new, but probably not of great quality (and not OEM). It's leaking a few drops around the seal.
That will have to wait until the next oil change to get fixed...

If you’re feeling adventurous.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
like the video :)

I did mine a couple weeks ago. Only issue I encountered was getting the 3 bolts on the sensor to torque properly. Eventually stopped trying out of fear that I'd crack the new pan. New gasket is working fine, no leaks.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
OP are you in Venice FL? Our autocross club used the Venice festival grounds for events a couple years ago. Fun times, nice area to visit.

ilikevenice

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
No, I'm on the opposite coast (Palm Beach).
But I'm originally from the other Venice... the one in Europe... ; )
Autocross sound like a lot of fun...

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
No, I'm on the opposite coast (Palm Beach).
But I'm originally from the other Venice... the one in Europe... ; )
Autocross sound like a lot of fun...
we visited the other Venice ten years ago. Amazing place.