GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil on spark plug threads?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Unfortunately for me I’m out of warranty. But right now I’m not going to worry about it. I’ll check the plugs again in a few hundred miles to see how they look. No misfires right now but I’ll keep an eye on things. Looking for tutorials if I DID have to change the seals… seems tough though.
Don't forget to torque to 20-22 ft lbs.

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
Unfortunately for me I’m out of warranty. But right now I’m not going to worry about it. I’ll check the plugs again in a few hundred miles to see how they look. No misfires right now but I’ll keep an eye on things. Looking for tutorials if I DID have to change the seals… seems tough though.
Doesn’t hurt to call vwoa. Imo this is a quality control issue that entirely too many people have to deal with. I went in fbo is38 and they didn’t even bat an eye as they said they had done several this month alone and this was in 2018.

Cam cover gasket. I had this happen on my 337 GTI. It is a fairly easy fix. Get it done soon because if you have a manual transmission the oil can and will get into the bell housing and screw up your clutch. I know, that's what finally got my attention, and when that happens, it's not cheap anymore.🤑

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Cam cover gasket. I had this happen on my 337 GTI. It is a fairly easy fix. Get it done soon because if you have a manual transmission the oil can and will get into the bell housing and screw up your clutch. I know, that's what finally got my attention, and when that happens, it's not cheap anymore.🤑
Oh. Fuck.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Just looked at the manual for this job, yup...requires some special tools to remove the timing chain and lock the cams. If I ever had to do this, I would probably bite the bullet and do it because I can't imagine this is a cheap job. This job isn't for everyone though.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I gotta check the oil on mine, I believe I found some when I replaced the plugs last time...

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Have you noticed any driveability issues?
None. I bought the car with 80K KM on it, it has around 120K on it now, no issues. I was first tuned with Unitronic and now EQT, so I switched plugs at the time of the tune and noticed some oil on cyl4. I've been planning to recheck and see what's up, but haven't gotten around to it.

Syncmaster

Car(s)
2015 GTI
None. I bought the car with 80K KM on it, it has around 120K on it now, no issues. I was first tuned with Unitronic and now EQT, so I switched plugs at the time of the tune and noticed some oil on cyl4. I've been planning to recheck and see what's up, but haven't gotten around to it.
Yeah I feel like I may be in the same
Boat as you. I will check them in a few hundred miles and if it’s still present illl talk to VW.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I’m in the same boat too. 38K miles and a very oily 1 and 4 today. 1 had oil all the way up the ceramic. No codes or running issues it seems yet.