GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil leaks/oil vapor leaks: filler cap, pcv trap, hoses, etc

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Tired of your VW oil filler cap leaking and making a mess? Why is it there is so much dirt around the #3 and #4 ignition coils?

They are leaking perhaps only vapor but oil settles and creates sticky mess which then dirt sticks to. Even after adding o-ring to oil cap still leaks!!

They are NOT technically broken just not creating a perfect seal.

Follow at your own risk. Backyard mechanic gives no F's

T30 for PCV bolts.
10mm for ignition coil nut and bolt
Worm gear clamps
Grey Gasket maker - high temp/oil resistant
Degreaser
Clean Rags
Pick set
Flathead screwdriver
Teflon tape

Clean up around pcv and the oil filler cap as best you can. Remove ignition coils 3,4 and clean some more.

Be careful once you open pcv assembly your valvetrain head is exposed. Don't drop anything in there... dirt, chemicals, tools, don't do it. Remove EGR hose out of the back first. It has one bolt holding it in and then sort of pops in and pops out. Discretion is advised.
Then you can remove a small hose from the left side of pcv with snap clamp you just need to squeeze and pull back. Just remove the annoying plastic clip between the hose and wiring harness. Its like a zip tie on the top, flathead screwdriver pry it.

Finally the pcv can come off.

Cover it with a rag.

Remove the filler cap and cover with rag as well.

Filler cap can simply be wrapped in Teflon tape to create a tight seal that won't leak. Teflon tape is tough enough but will mold to the shape needed.
Do you best to get all the grit from the filler cap seat and insides as well as cap. Wrap it a few times around the threaded part. Done!

Clean up the pcv. I went the extra mile and carefully pried the circle open with Flathead and pick set. You need to gently force objects thin between the clips until they pop.

Clean inside.

Rinse all the degreaser off with water. Degreaser bad, water will dry/burn off.

Lay a bead of Gray gasket maker in the outer circle of the pcv circle. Put it back together.

I went and degreased everything then wipe with a rag before you lay a bead of gasket maker. The EGR hose leaks from both hose connection points. You can put gasket over the joint then clamp it with wormgear and it won't leak anymore.

Lay a bead of gasket maker along the outside of the pcv gasket between orange and black plastic so it will squeeze outwards not in towards the valvetrain.

Tricky part is cleaning off the head where the pcv meets. Go slow and wipe everything away from opening.

Be careful to lower the pcv with gasket maker into the opening and line up all the screws. Let it ease into place and tighten each t30 screw a bit at a time. I did a quick test fit to make sure no gasket maker was getting towards inside head.

I put gasket maker on the orange o-rings on the EGR hose too.

Rag up any mess. No way for PCV to leak unless it is actually cracked

Last edited:

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti