GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil extractor speed

plastermaster

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm in the market for an oil extractor, and am reading reviews that evaluate them. One thing coming up is that the hand pumps are usually taking around 4-5 minutes to pump a qt of oil. I would rather drive my car up on my wheel ramps and pull the drain plug than spend 20 minutes pumping.

I have read mixed reviews on the electric ones, some fast and some slow for the same pump. I figure the reviews saying slow are probably user error, and the ones that say they pump out all their oil in a couple minutes are probably accurate. After all, the user can't make it pump faster than it is capable of.

So, asking for some first hand experience from those kind enough to share with these pumps as to how long you have to pump them to change ~5 qts, and what pump you using.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I've never timed it, but I'd guess about 10ish mins to get the oil out if you warm it a bit beforehand (not red hot, just warm). I hope you haven't watched that god awful shop dap video on YouTube and are under the impression you have to pump the whole time - you don't, just give it 10 pumps or so and the flow starts...while it's going you can get on with the other job of removing/replacing your oil filter. I'd recommend an extractor with a pressure gauge, when the pressure drops a bit just give it another half a dozen pumps or so. Only have to do this about 3 or four times during the process (then pump it a bit more at the end to get the dregs out).

Finding one with said pressure gauge is a bit tricky though, I have this one but I bought it years ago and seems to be out of stock a lot nowadays https://www.amazon.com/EXtoil-6-Lit...B01MZ1W699/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

I think generally speaking they are all much of a muchness. You can get one without the gauge, just give the random pumps here and there.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Never timed either, but I’d say I’m finished in less than 20 minutes, start to stop.

Way less of hassle for me than jackstands or ramps, and dumping fluid out the bottom.

I bought mine off Amazon, not the highest quality, but it works.

plastermaster

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks guys, I see now from your replies that I was misunderstanding how they work. Sounds like the pump isn't for pumping out the oil but rather it is to create a vacuum in the cansaster. I don't mind if it takes 20 min as long as I am not having to pump the entire time.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
I hope you haven't watched that god awful shop dap video on YouTube and are under the impression you have to pump the whole time -
Some info he shares is just downright ignorant. That was painful to watch. I'll stick to the HumbleMechanic.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
1696350126901.png

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Some info he shares is just downright ignorant. That was painful to watch. I'll stick to the HumbleMechanic.
Ha to be fair, I think they did a later video where they did acknowledge the error of their ways on the first one at the car show. That one should be dubbed over with the music from this clip:

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
Bought this and never looked back!

DasMarine 12V 60W Oil Change Pump Extractor, Oil/Diesel Fluid Pump Extractor Scavenge Oil Change Pump Transfer Suction Transfer Pump + Tubes Truck Rv Boat ATV https://a.co/d/idsxPYI

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
20 mins sounds about right. I'll have to pump the cannister once or twice after the first one. No mess.