Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Katecool

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • E-bay

Votes: 11 32.4%

• Total voters

VWGTI

Ready to race!
I think Tyler@Pacific German had an oil cooler on his GTI. He removed a fog light and put in the cooler behind the fins

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
I think Tyler@Pacific German had an oil cooler on his GTI. He removed a fog light and put in the cooler behind the fins

This could work, but I think one would have to install the Golf R inner wheel liner to get the louvered lower section to enable some air flow.

Seems like no matter where you put the oil cooler, there is going to be an effect on other systems. If you put it in front of the radiator, then it heats up the radiator and intercooler. If you put the oil cooler in the fog light space, then it heats up the brake disk and caliper. Pick your poison I guess.

VWGTI

Ready to race!
This could work, but I think one would have to install the Golf R inner wheel liner to get the louvered lower section to enable some air flow.

Seems like no matter where you put the oil cooler, there is going to be an effect on other systems. If you put it in front of the radiator, then it heats up the radiator and intercooler. If you put the oil cooler in the fog light space, then it heats up the brake disk and caliper. Pick your poison I guess.

But there wasn't any airflow into that space due to the fog lights anyways, right?

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Correct. I’m assuming that the fog lights would be removed.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Really? Doesn't look like there is any air flow in that area and the fog lights are installed there.

Right you would need a few other bits to make it work, but the install location would be perfect. The R uses one cooler for the radiator and one cooler for the DSG fluid if equipped, and doesn't have issues with heating the brakes (tires would be more probable). Keep in mind oil temps really don't get much higher than 135C even during track use, and the brakes get up to.... well I'm not quite sure, but a lot hotter. You could then install the RS3 brake air ducts to actually force air into the brakes.

Fender liner swaps were pretty common back in the day when doing things like this. A4B5's didn't even have cut outs in the fender liner behind the SMIC, and swamping to the S4 liners which did provided some increased airflow.

It can be done cheaper, since to make it look really clean you would probably need the bumper from the R as well, but doing it that way would be the most OEM.

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Correct. I’m assuming that the fog lights would be removed.

In 2017 'Sport' didn't come with foglights, so I guess now it's that one time to be glad I couldn't get any VW dealer to sell me a GTI SE with a manual without a 2 month wait :D

Swoope

Ready to race!
In 2017 'Sport' didn't come with foglights, so I guess now it's that one time to be glad I couldn't get any VW dealer to sell me a GTI SE with a manual without a 2 month wait :D

ding! ding! ding!

finally a good thing other than wheels.

beers

GTIManEG

Ready to race!
Update time!

So engine is back together and running. Man it's nice to be driving my car again.
I went with the ebay cooler with the thought that it is only 190 bucks and if it does not work Ill just get the Racing line and call it a day.

The kit is 95% Katecool's kit having to do some cutting of the coolant hose to make it fit.

Kit comes with AN10 hose and what looks like good fittings. pressure checked both at 100psi. Flushed out the cooler and little amount of debris came out of it. All in all kit looks good.

Install is the same as Katecool, I wanted to mount the cooler different. I wanted it in the fog light location but the cooler being a 13row was too large to mount correctly.
Went with just using exhaust wrap ties to secure it to the crash bar. (picture later)

Performance, around town oil temp sits around 200f. Driving more at a steady speed 45mph+ around town would drop the temp to 185f, I have a oil thermostat that opens at 185, but is not really needed of you live where it does no get below 40f.

I am in the break in period of my new clutch so have yet to really put some heat into the engine but looking promising.

Swoope

Ready to race!
love the location, yea no fog lights sport position.

but i know this is stupid but why is the motor out. i know that was not an oiler cooler install requirement.

beers

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
He said on the first page he built the engine.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
I ordered the Racingline. I'll have photos and impressions once it's installed.

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT
185 degrees F seems too low.

If you are not reaching 212+ degrees once in a while, wont this prevent the oil from burning-off water? Guess if you're doing short OCIs, not a big issue.

neildorrel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit DSG
Just looking around the front of my car (and I'm a very humble mechanic) how does one access the installation? It looks insanely tight (which I normally like!).