GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil considerations

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
I use Mobil 1 0w-40 because it’s cheap and VW 502/505 certified. Don’t ever get below 50 here.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I've read guys with the 19 model running both those weights. They talk about it in the racing threads. Ask @GTIfan99 about it. He has a 19.

I've had zero issue with 5w-40. Started running it when the early 19's were having issues with the 0w-20 causing vvt to act up, which could cause stalling, issues with o2 sensors, or poor acceleration at low and mid rpms. My car was blessed with all 3 issues. Switching to 0w-40 and resetting all adaptions fixed all those issues for me. Others weren't as lucky. Then VW patched once, then again, and seem to have sorted out the issue with 0w-20 and vvt.

I've continued to run 5w-40 even after being patched, I've had zero issues, 22k miles, tuned stage 1 EQT, 6 track days on this car and 40+ autocrosses. I live in Satan's butthole, uh, I mean Florida, so I don't want to track in 90+ degree weather with 0w-20.

I do know spec Miata guys race here with 20w oil, but a few hp actually means something to them and they don't generate the heat that a tuned GTI does.

Some people will drone on about the new oil pump, it's the same oil pump with an extra tooth. A little higher oil pressure isn't a bad thing, so not sure why all the fuss. Other than the tune and oil pump, it's the same as prior years, so a little heavier oil isn't going to hurt your engine if you're tracking. Tracking will cause increased wear.

If your driving on the street and your oil temps are staying below 240-250, just use the 0w-20. Why wouldn't you?

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
If your driving on the street and your oil temps are staying below 240-250, just use the 0w-20. Why wouldn't you?
Price and availability 😂

Good info here though, I'll probably just keep running the 0w40 euro formula from costco. 26 bucks for 6 quarts is hard to beat.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
The general consensus about not hammering your car until the oil temps are "warmed up" is probably good advice. However, I typically turn my car on and drive it off without any waiting. I have to get on the gas to leave my neighborhood but just do so without going full send, as usual, there is no quantitative data to support most of the advice given w/r to oil and so much of it is car guy folklore. Oil is flowing fine when you start your car unless it's incredibly cold (well below zero) so that would be ok for most folks responding here. Aftermarket tunes...no idea on that one but I have heard this repeated here. Finally, 0W vs. 5W. Assuming the same approval (VW502 00), 2 oils one 0W and one 5W ("W" = "winter") will be the same - the lower winter rating would only impact you if it was incredbily cold out and in that case, the 0W would be the better choice but in the typical temps most of us see - they are both 40 weight oils and can be interchanged with no perceieveable difference.

This is all handled with some technical background here with some searching:

bobistheoilguy.com

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
The general consensus about not hammering your car until the oil temps are "warmed up" is probably good advice. However, I typically turn my car on and drive it off without any waiting. I have to get on the gas to leave my neighborhood but just do so without going full send, as usual, there is no quantitative data to support most of the advice given w/r to oil and so much of it is car guy folklore. Oil is flowing fine when you start your car unless it's incredibly cold (well below zero) so that would be ok for most folks responding here. Aftermarket tunes...no idea on that one but I have heard this repeated here. Finally, 0W vs. 5W. Assuming the same approval (VW502 00), 2 oils one 0W and one 5W ("W" = "winter") will be the same - the lower winter rating would only impact you if it was incredbily cold out and in that case, the 0W would be the better choice but in the typical temps most of us see - they are both 40 weight oils and can be interchanged with no perceieveable difference.

This is all handled with some technical background here with some searching:

bobistheoilguy.com

The resident oil data expert has spoken

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
1638884696234.png

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
why would a tune make the engine run cooler?

also buy in spring that $26 will be $16 after rebate.

In normal driving, some tuners set lower targets for oil and coolant, but if driven hard, that isn't going to do shit. I don't even like the idea of doing it on the street. I see no benefit to oil temps being 200 vs 212, in fact you're better off at 212.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
why would a tune make the engine run cooler?

also buy in spring that $26 will be $16 after rebate.
EQT and Sneeky must have made adjustments to when the thermostat opens because both of their tunes run 10-15* cooler. Coolant and oil.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
EQT and Sneeky must have made adjustments to when the thermostat opens because both of their tunes run 10-15* cooler. Coolant and oil.

And again, I don't see that as a positive. My oil temps are staying 190 to 200 in daily driving with my EQT tune. I actually want my oil temps to be 210 to 220 to burn off condensation, properly lubricate, and maintain proper fuel efficiency when just driving around town.

On track, those targets do nothing to reduce temps.

I 100% fail to understand EQT and Sneeky's reasoning in doing this, other than marketing to people that don't understand that they actually need 210 to 220 oil temps and that lower targets won't help them when pushing the car hard.

Hell, why not just remove your thermostat? Car will run cooler on average. Cold engines are cool. Everyone is doing it. It's adds 11ty hp. If CAI are the bestest, wait until you run cold oil. Watch out Hellcats.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I’m EQT protuned and my temp is usually around 218

tigeo

Autocross Champion
And again, I don't see that as a positive. My oil temps are staying 190 to 200 in daily driving with my EQT tune. I actually want my oil temps to be 210 to 220 to burn off condensation, properly lubricate, and maintain proper fuel efficiency when just driving around town.

On track, those targets do nothing to reduce temps.

I 100% fail to understand EQT and Sneeky's reasoning in doing this, other than marketing to people that don't understand that they actually need 210 to 220 oil temps and that lower targets won't help them when pushing the car hard.

Hell, why not just remove your thermostat? Car will run cooler on average. Cold engines are cool. Everyone is doing it. It's adds 11ty hp. If CAI are the bestest, wait until you run cold oil. Watch out Hellcats.
My daily oil temps are "normal" as far as I know with Uni's software - 210-220 varying on ambients and how hard the car is being drivien/RPM. At the track in cool weather I have seen 240+ and the same beating on it in the mountains. Those temps are well within the range that modern oils can handle without drama.