GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil changes during covid

JAV3

Passed Driver's Ed
Due to covid I’m a little concerned with oil change intervals during this time. I usually do it at 6 months or 5k miles (normally hit that 5k mark in 6months) but because of covid cars been sitting a lot more. I take it out on the weekends to cruise around but I’ve passed my 6 month mark only driving 1500 miles. Should I change it or just keep it closer to the mileage I usually change it at. Levels aren’t low been checking it, oil doesn’t appear to be bad either still has an amber like color.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
12 mos is the general rule of thumb on time - but honestly, no modern oil is hosed sitting for that long. Go by miles. It's fine.

Reactions: q74

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I had my previous oil change sent into Blackstone for analysis asking a similar question. I don't cover 10k in a year, so I generally end up getting it changed due to time and not mileage. Here's what they had to say regarding that:

"Thanks for the notes. We think this VW would do well with a 10,000-mile oil change, even if it takes more than a year to get there. Calendar time is largely irrelevant for a modern engine such as this, and we tend to focus more on miles for that reason. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of engine with about 6,200 miles. Your 2.0L made a similar amount of metal over a longer oil run, so it's wearing well for the type. The oil is in good condition too. There's no contamination to point out, and viscosity is still in the 5W/40 range. Solid report!"

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I had my previous oil change sent into Blackstone for analysis asking a similar question. I don't cover 10k in a year, so I generally end up getting it changed due to time and not mileage. Here's what they had to say regarding that:

"Thanks for the notes. We think this VW would do well with a 10,000-mile oil change, even if it takes more than a year to get there. Calendar time is largely irrelevant for a modern engine such as this, and we tend to focus more on miles for that reason. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of engine with about 6,200 miles. Your 2.0L made a similar amount of metal over a longer oil run, so it's wearing well for the type. The oil is in good condition too. There's no contamination to point out, and viscosity is still in the 5W/40 range. Solid report!"
Which oil is that? I've never had either one of my VWs that run the 502 5W40s stay in viscosity over an oil change anywhere from 4.5-9K.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Which oil is that? I've never had either one of my VWs that run the 502 5W40s stay in viscosity over an oil change anywhere from 4.5-9K.

Here's what sucks... I have no idea. It was a free oil change at the dealership for some poor warranty work that required me to return for a second visit. They didn't list the oil manufacturer on the work order, just that it was 5W40. By the time I thought to ask, they had already changed oil providers. I just sent another sample to Blackstone yesterday after this year's oil change (Liqui Moly Synthoil Premium 5W40).

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Here's what sucks... I have no idea. It was a free oil change at the dealership for some poor warranty work that required me to return for a second visit. They didn't list the oil manufacturer on the work order, just that it was 5W40. By the time I thought to ask, they had already changed oil providers. I just sent another sample to Blackstone yesterday after this year's oil change (Liqui Moly Synthoil Premium 5W40).
Ah ok. This is just the bulk/dealer Castrol 5W40 - same as they use in my Atlas and it never stays in-grade either..hahahah

Why the Synthoil Premium? That doesn't carry the 502 approval, only "recommended for".

Last edited:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Ah ok. This is just the bulk/dealer Castrol 5W40 - same as they use in my Atlas and it never stays in-grade either..hahahah

Why the Synthoi Premium? That doens't carry the 502 approval, only "recommended for".

It's the bulk oil that my performance shop uses and recommended for how I use the car. Not overly concerned with it since I'm out of warranty at this point. We'll see how the report comes back. If it's noticeably worse, I'll bump up to Leichtlauf.

I ran Rotella T6 in my MKV after warranty ran out and it was a great improvement, albeit not approved nor recommended haha.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
It's the bulk oil that my performance shop uses and recommended for how I use the car. Not overly concerned with it since I'm out of warranty at this point. We'll see how the report comes back. If it's noticeably worse, I'll bump up to Leichtlauf.

I ran Rotella T6 in my MKV after warranty ran out and it was a great improvement, albeit not approved nor recommended haha.
Ah ok, that is LMs basic oil then somewhat equivalent to the 5W40 Castrol stuff. I'd say Leichtlauf or Molygen would be a step-up in additives vs. the Synthoil.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Just get an oil extractor. Easy peasy. I went under the car for the first one. Second and now third were both done with an extractor. Don't need to move the car.