GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil change discrepancy

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
Just completed my oil change and the level was reading a bit off afterwards. I wanted to get as much old oil out as possible so I let it drain for a good 45 minutes while I had lunch and took the time to syringe out the oil that pools in the filter housing bottom. I filled it with 5.7 litres as per the manual, started it up for a bit, then shut it off and let it sit for about 5 mins. When I checked the level it was only showing about half way up the hash marks. I added another 100ml and that brought it up to about 1/4” below the top of the hashes.

I did also spill a little bit when I was filling it up. Do you think that combined with the extra steps of getting the old oil out could account for 5.8L only showing just under full? Anybody have some experience with this?

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
My Mk7 GTI says to check the oil level when the oil is hot. Drive it and get it up to temp., then bring home and shut it off, wait say 5 minutes then check it. Might look at you manual to confirm this for your car.

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
Dip sticks are not always 100% accurate. I have been told you should drain the oil fill to factory specs then check it per manual and see where it reads on the dipstick. My car was a manager driven car with 2500 miles on it when i checked the oil it read 1/2 qt low so I filled it. Just did my first oil change and after filling it, driving it around and then checking it it reads half a qt low on the dipstick. So I am thinking it wasn't low.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Don't know what year yours is but mines an 18 and the manual said it takes 6 quarts. And that brings it right to the full line on the dipstick.

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
Yes mine says the same. 6 quarts = 5.7 litres.

It seems close enough that it’s probably not a big deal. I’ve never seen this on any of my other cars that I’ve owned so I thought maybe it was a “GTI-ism” that I wasn’t aware of.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
what they all said (including OP). that amount of oil in mine is at the 5/8 level on stick. It's good.....if mine gets near the bottom I'll add to mostly full but anywhere between marks is good.

Mud

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Just completed my oil change and the level was reading a bit off afterwards. I wanted to get as much old oil out as possible so I let it drain for a good 45 minutes while I had lunch and took the time to syringe out the oil that pools in the filter housing bottom.

I had the same experience once, but in a different car. I left it with the front end raised up for a good 45 minutes while I struggled to remove an over-tightened oil filter, which was difficult to reach while laying on my back. When I refilled the oil, it took almost .5qts more than the amount specified for an oil change. (Warning: pedantic explanation to follow.)

Basically, every engine has 2 oil capacities: the amount that is drained during a regular service, and the total amount that the engine requires. When they determine the 1st amount, it's assumed that your vehicle will be level, up on a lift, and the technician will not leave the plug out for anywhere near 45 minutes. By doing this, you succeeded in your goal of removing more oil than what was expected to drain, and as others have said, the reading on the dipstick is correct when the oil is at operating temperature, so running it for only a few minutes isn't going to give an accurate reading.