DIY or Mechanic

• Do it yourself

Votes: 15 100.0%
  • Hire Mechanic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Racing Line and Spulen seem to be the best choices. This isn't a hard install, there are several good DIY videos on YouTube showing how to do it. Look up "Humble Mechanic"

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I vote for Spulen but whatever you buy don't buy one that doesn't delete the PCV valve. That kind won't collect anything.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
If I were to get one it would be the Spulen, and I would install myself but it really depends on your definition of "amateur". Can you use a wrench?

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I vote for Spulen but whatever you buy don't buy one that doesn't delete the PCV valve. That kind won't collect anything.

So you’re saying the OEM PCV does a good job, because you need to delete it to catch oil in a can. Seems like creating a problem to install a solution.

RapGameBlueberryWaffle

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
If I were to get one it would be the Spulen, and I would install myself but it really depends on your definition of "amateur". Can you use a wrench?
Ha yes. I ended up going with the CTS Turbo Catch Can and I'm just going to do it myself. I do watch a lot of Humble Mechanic, DAP and the other channels so I've seen the installs. My concern was I'd f*ck something up, but that's just me getting stuck in my head worry about sh*t that hasn't happened yet.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Ha yes. I ended up going with the CTS Turbo Catch Can and I'm just going to do it myself. I do watch a lot of Humble Mechanic, DAP and the other channels so I've seen the installs. My concern was I'd f*ck something up, but that's just me getting stuck in my head worry about sh*t that hasn't happened yet.
You'll be fine there isn't anything cosmic to the install, watch the DIY vids and make sure to have the right tools.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So you’re saying the OEM PCV does a good job, because you need to delete it to catch oil in a can. Seems like creating a problem to install a solution.

That's not what I said at all. I said if you are going to buy an OCC the only kind that collects blowby are the ones that delete the PCV valve. I don't have an opinion as to whether the OEM PCV valve does a good job.

(R)Rated

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R

Take your time and dont rush. If you feel like something is being over tighten, chances are it is. Look up torque specs and ask yourself if the bolt you are tighting critical for holding something in place. A bolt holding down the coil pack does not require shit loads of torque for example, it just keeps the coil pack from vibrating around.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
That's not what I said at all. I said if you are going to buy an OCC the only kind that collects blowby are the ones that delete the PCV valve. I don't have an opinion as to whether the OEM PCV valve does a good job.

You're missing his point. If you have to remove the factory PVC to get oil to collect in the oil CC, then you didn't need a CC.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You're missing his point. If you have to remove the factory PVC to get oil to collect in the oil CC, then you didn't need a CC.

Right. So then part of the blowby collects on the back of the valves. It's simple. If you want to reduce carbon buildup on the valves you'll need an OCC that removes the PCV valve.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Right. So then part of the blowby collects on the back of the valves. It's simple. If you want to reduce carbon buildup on the valves you'll need an OCC that removes the PCV valve.

So if you keep the stock PCV, add. a CC, the CC doesn't collect any oil, that's because the oil is going right through the CC, and collecting on the valves?

But removing the factory PCV, getting oil on the CC means that you aren't getting oil on the back of your valves?

That actually makes sense to you?

The reality is, unless you track or run high boost pressures, the stock PCV is just fine.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So if you keep the stock PCV, add. a CC, the CC doesn't collect any oil, that's because the oil is going right through the CC, and collecting on the valves?

But removing the factory PCV, getting oil on the CC means that you aren't getting oil on the back of your valves?

That actually makes sense to you?

The reality is, unless you track or run high boost pressures, the stock PCV is just fine.

No if you keep the PCV valve the catch can doesn't get anything running through it. I had a Veloster Turbo before the GTI. I put the exact same OCC on the GTI that I had on the Veloster and the inside of the can was just as shiny new after several thousand miles because nothing goes through it without deleting the PCV. I asked the shop that installed it and that's when I found out the GTI has a completely different system. So I got the Spulen OCC and it collects the blowby on the GTI. I empty the can once a week which is a thousand miles for me and the catch can has between 1/2 to 1 ounce of runny black blowby in it. That crap would have gone to the back of the valves otherwise with the OEM system.