GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ohlins VWSMT21 - Pix Enclosed

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
It appears to be an AWD option only. Very interesting piece of kit.

Really like the option of being able to dial out bump steer in the rear. The alternative option for the upper mount to allow for better camber gain is a really nice feature.

Their whole line up seems to be well engineered. I’m more interested in their rear subframe than the front for that reason. Would really like for it to be an option for FWD only GTi’s.

JUMB3E

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6MT

translux

Ready to race!
Great car and write up. Thanks for all the info.
I’d love to change two things about the R. In order of importance..
1. Stop or at least mitigate the front end from slamming into the bump stops from modest potholes, bumps etc.
2. Improve high speed stability. For me the car always feels a bit vague, likes to wander and just doesn’t feel as planted as I’d like at speed.
Sounds like this would address item 2.
Any insight on item 1?
Also what clutch are you running? If there's a build thread please point me to it.
Thanks again for sharing.

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
Great car and write up. Thanks for all the info.
I’d love to change two things about the R. In order of importance..
1. Stop or at least mitigate the front end from slamming into the bump stops from modest potholes, bumps etc.
2. Improve high speed stability. For me the car always feels a bit vague, likes to wander and just doesn’t feel as planted as I’d like at speed.
Sounds like this would address item 2.
Any insight on item 1?
Also what clutch are you running? If there's a build thread please point me to it.
Thanks again for sharing.

I'm assuming you're lowered if you're running into the bump stops? I'm not sure what the spring rate were on the stock shocks, but with 7kg/mm and 8kb/mm the extreme dives during braking or front end nose lift when accelerating are almost eliminated. Also, having just changed all my bushings to SuperPro bushings I get a lot more road compliance and less NVH and bushing "spring" or deflection. This coupled with sway bars (H&R) front and rear really helped give the tremendous increase in high speed stability. It's not much of a surprise there... though I was really surprised much of an improvement the SuperPro bushings made.

I'm currently using a SouthBend Stage 3 Daily with about 400hp dyno'd at the wheels. It handles the power without any slippage. I'd recommend it!

Sorry, but no build thread at the moment. I thought my upgrades were pretty generic based on the many that I've read, so I made threads per upgrades that I couldn't find much, or if any info, at all.

Here's a video I thought was interesting. It shows a comparison between the stock/SuperPro/Spherical bearing. Of course spherical are better, but having used them in the past, they are noisy and they do wear out over time. But SuperPro provides a middle ground between the extremes (OEM vs Spherical).

Last edited:

RadioFlyer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GSX-Rs
.Figure I throw up some Ohlins pix of anyone is interested in going this route. It is pricey at about $3k for the DCC cancellers and coilovers (you'll save $400 if you're without DCC). However, it's really easy to tell why they cost so much, but not just for the name, but for the quality and the ability to rebuild them. Mounts are solid, dampening adjustment "clicks" are well defined, machining is top notch...
🤪I have to give you credit/blame for the impetus....
20200521_210236.jpg

Can hardly wait!!! 🤩

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
^ ahh so nice! I remember when I laid eyes on 'em. :) One thing that confused me was the rear spacer that goes in between the top hat and strut rod. Both of the spacers included didn't exactly fit in the top hat, but I did put the straight through spacer, not the one with a step, basically stretching out the rod another 3/4" inch. LMK what you do with yours. Not sure if I need to go back in there to remove or upgrade it.

ketoi12345678

Ready to race!
^ ahh so nice! I remember when I laid eyes on 'em. :) One thing that confused me was the rear spacer that goes in between the top hat and strut rod. Both of the spacers included didn't exactly fit in the top hat, but I did put the straight through spacer, not the one with a step, basically stretching out the rod another 3/4" inch. LMK what you do with yours. Not sure if I need to go back in there to remove or upgrade it.
Do you run any camber plate with the Ohlins Coilover? If yes which one?