GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ohlins VWSMT21 - Pix Enclosed

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Did NOT know that... I might have to go that route. Thanks for the info.
I think Cliff had an issue with the ohlins ones as well, but if I recall correctly they sent him a replacement quickly and he has been okay since. Maybe give kw a call and see if they'd send a new one?

My ohlins ones have been okay so far, but I've only driven a few hundred miles since January, lol. Two fillups since December...

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
I think Cliff had an issue with the ohlins ones as well, but if I recall correctly they sent him a replacement quickly and he has been okay since. Maybe give kw a call and see if they'd send a new one?

My ohlins ones have been okay so far, but I've only driven a few hundred miles since January, lol. Two fillups since December...

I appreciate the info! I'll reach out to BMP where I purchased 'em from. I have maybe 1-2 fill ups using them... so less than 500 miles at least.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I have no idea if Ohlins and KW cancellers are identical. I had one of my cancellers fail at an HPDE event showing the below code in VCDS. This event was my second HPDE event on the new suspension. Griffin Motorwerke, the Ohlins dealer who did the install on my car, was a sponsor at the event and providing on-site tech support. They swapped the rear cancellers side-to-side and the error came back in a later session on the side to which the failed canceller had been swapped. Griffin covered the replacement under warranty. I have done 7 HPDE days since with no issues. The shop foreman at Griffin indicated to me that in his experience this is not an ongoing issue with Ohlins cancellers.

36875 - Valve for Damping Adjustment Rear Left
C1042 13 [137] - Open Circuit
MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 105
Mileage: 75022 km
Date: 2019.11.04
Time: 11:09:28

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
So you spent $3000 to have your car stock height? I can see $$ is no object based on the wheel/brake choice.

Any reason you chose these over something like racinglines ast's?

Correct! Irony huh? Though my intention wasn't to drop the car. Problem with cars meant for the road is that they're not meant to be lowered significantly... however cars like the Corvette, NSX, etc have roll centers, suspension pick up points, lower center of gravity, engine placement, etc in the right locations to maximize the geometrical gains for wheel-to-pavement contact based on the tires they'll be running. $3k is more than I though I'd spend, and I'm not necessarily proud of dumping money into a car that depreciates like a falling rock, but I really do feel these Ohlins are really the shi*. You really get what you pay for!

Over the ASTs, these have a sort of release valve for high speed damping which means it has the ability to soak up bumps on the road vs something like AST's that might just offer a 2 way (low speed dampening and rebound) for bout the same price (3 way usually runs around 5k).

roll2.jpg

So when you lower a car, like ours, you actually introduce more rolling force by increasing the leverage arm or the imaginary arm resultant of the suspension arms geometry. Ohlins mentions the drop is very insignificant (bout 5mm compared to stock) as a discretionary claim - maintain factory roll center. So the solution? Modifying pick up points, or if you're lucky, someone has done the hard work to develop a knuckle+various components that corrects the pickup points for a lowered vehicle. Going back to the Vette you might find something like this...

corvette knuckle set.jpg

With that said however, a lower car does look cool! But there are benefits to a stock height. I figure most think my car is mediocre but I like to fly under the radar... though my coworkers say my car is "cute".

Might be the coolest degree I've ever heard of. Fellow OC resident/track enthusiast here. Hope to see you at some events when this all blows over. Itching to get back to Chuckwalla

Is Chuckwalla aka Thermal? I've only seen that track on videos. Looks awesome! I used to be a track rat, but surfing took over my life! I do want to take my car out to Malibu or a track event at Fontana. If there's a VW event for one I'm in!

are those Titan7's?

Yes sir! 19" Titans. Great wheels @ a decent price point. Though, they say they make 'em for specific cars, that's partially true. The inner bore for the wheel hub requires a spacer. No big deal, but half true marketing. Great wheels though! Light as hell.

Last edited:

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Is Chuckwalla aka Thermal? I've only seen that track on videos. Looks awesome! I used to be a track rat, but surfing took over my life! I do want to take my car out to Malibu or a track event at Fontana. If there's a VW event for one I'm in!
No, Thermal is a private "country club" near Palm Springs, but if you're ever lucky enough to drive there, do it. I haven't driven my car there, just an M4(greatly disappointed, but that's another story) with BMW Club. Chuckwalla is about an hour plus outside of the Palm Desert, toward AZ. It's a very new track, and very nice. Best word to describe it is "flowy". Kind of a mix of Big Willow and Streets of Willow, if that makes sense. I like it more than all the other tracks in SoCal.

Have you driven Fontana before? IMO, it's such a bad track for our cars. Def made for high HP cars. Plus the 25* banked NASCAR turn at 130+ and concrete barriers if you eff up, scare me. I prob won't go back there haha

CeeBeeKay

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for finding this! That looks like viable solution to a lowered vehicle based. I like how it has two holes for stock or lowered ride height.

Suspension.PNG

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Dude, I'll bet a car with their whole catalog of mqb goodies would handle really well.

CeeBeeKay