GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OG GTi - 1984 Rabbit GTi

Mpowerd

My boss drove in his 1984 'barn find' Rabbit GTI today. He found it with 18k miles on it! All original condition. I used to own a black version of the same car. One of my all time favorites....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYDave

My first new car was a black 1983 Rabbit GTI. Bought it in Germany through the US military PX and drove it all around Europe for 5 years. Drew a lot of attention from German GTI owners too. Loved that car!

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
The first VW I ever drove was my buddies black '84 Rabbit GTI :) Fun little thing, my Cavalier at the time was just as fast lol. But I like to think that I picked a great "first VW" to drive. Classic.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I'm old enough to remember that car well.
A friend of mine had a 76 or 77 Scirocco.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Ah, memories. I bought one of the very first '83 Rabbit GTI's to hit the ground in California in November of '82. White over blue interior. All the car mags had written their reviews ahead of the launch, so before they were even on dealer lots, I knew I had to have one, and put a deposit down so that I could have one of the first to arrive at my local dealership. Only 90 hp, and 0-60 time of about 9.7 seconds (!), but sublime steering and handling, great fuel economy, and that little 1.8-liter 8-valve motor ran like a top.

I kept it for about 2 years and put 64k miles on it in that short time, as I was traveling in it for work at the time. By the time it was a year old, it had so many squeaks, creaks & rattles that it sounded like a 10-year-old car. Build quality was truly abysmal. But the driving experience was always superb. I wound up trading it on on a new '85 GTI when they came out.. the 2nd of 5 new GTI's, plus an R32 and now the Golf R, that I would buy over the next several decades.

Mpowerd

Ah, memories. I bought one of the very first '83 Rabbit GTI's to hit the ground in California in November of '82. White over blue interior. All the car mags had written their reviews ahead of the launch, so before they were even on dealer lots, I knew I had to have one, and put a deposit down so that I could have one of the first to arrive at my local dealership. Only 90 hp, and 0-60 time of about 9.7 seconds (!), but sublime steering and handling, great fuel economy, and that little 1.8-liter 8-valve motor ran like a top.

I kept it for about 2 years and put 64k miles on it in that short time, as I was traveling in it for work at the time. By the time it was a year old, it had so many squeaks, creaks & rattles that it sounded like a 10-year-old car. Build quality was truly abysmal. But the driving experience was always superb. I wound up trading it on on a new '85 GTI when they came out.. the 2nd of 5 new GTI's, plus an R32 and now the Golf R, that I would buy over the next several decades.

Good stuff!! I had mine at the same time I had a MK 3 95 GTi VR6. I auto crossed them both. The MK3 had such a wonderful motor but the handling left much to be desired. In the MK1 it handled like it was on rails but didn't have much power. I miss that little Rabbit.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I ended up putting on a Scirocco header since the Rabbit version was 4 into 1. The Scirocco went 4 into 2 then into 1. Gained a few ponies lol

Nice! :cool: