GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official MN Thread

curly2k3

I'll have to swing over that way and check it out at some point, it has definitely been a while. haha

Is there a better day of the week for most of you guys if we wanted to get something together? Sounds like there's basically half of us on more of the west side (including St Louis Park and Edina here) and then the other half over on that side of the cities.

I'm almost having flash backs to the MNSC days when we'd organize get things organized after having meets all over the cities EVERY day of the week.

Nitrobackflip

I'll have to swing over that way and check it out at some point, it has definitely been a while. haha

Is there a better day of the week for most of you guys if we wanted to get something together? Sounds like there's basically half of us on more of the west side (including St Louis Park and Edina here) and then the other half over on that side of the cities.

I'm almost having flash backs to the MNSC days when we'd organize get things organized after having meets all over the cities EVERY day of the week.
Weekends are always better, #kids

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

J-Rad

Just picked up a 2015 Golf SEL. Working on a few minor, mostly cosmetic mods...added some 18" BBS SR wheels and looking to swap springs out for VWR Sport Springs. Do any of you have recommendations for a reasonably priced suspension shop that does good work for install the springs? I know of a few of the "VW" shops - other options, preferably South/West side of the cities? Leaning toward Courtney Truck Service or Samaritan but there may be others (I've got one other guy in mind to call tomorrow).

Also, if anyone is interested in another set of wheels (would make a great winter set or upgrade from some trim levels), I'm selling the 18" Durbans that came with the car along with the remaining tires. If interested, let me know.

Last edited:

curly2k3

I'd have interest in the Durbans pending price.

Courtney's is good, could also try Leighton's right next door at that point too, the Phoenix in St. Louis Park... otherwise Imola would always be an option that people love.

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Weekends are always better, #kids

I'll second that... got a 6 month old at home :D

Do any of you have recommendations for a reasonably priced suspension shop that does good work for install the springs?

I had my VWRs installed at Further Performance. Was not cheap, and they snapped one of the rear plastic headlight leveling sensors. But overall happy.

Never been here, but just to throw another option out there I've heard of... Nur Technik.

Both specialize in VW and aftermarket installs. But might be on the pricier side.

J-Rad

I'll second that... got a 6 month old at home :D

I had my VWRs installed at Further Performance. Was not cheap, and they snapped one of the rear plastic headlight leveling sensors. But overall happy.

Never been here, but just to throw another option out there I've heard of... Nur Technik.

Both specialize in VW and aftermarket installs. But might be on the pricier side.
Thanks for the reply.

Further is one I hear mentioned from the VW crowd fairly frequently. I've never used them but based on my call to them they are a "pass". The person I spoke with was not familiar with VWR springs - not the end of the world but kind of odd for a VW specialty shop. They told me they pretty much just use H&R, which very well may be the case. They had to research and call me back - again not the end of the world. But after not receiving a call back, I followed up. The price wasn't awesome "but" they would give me $50 off if I ordered the springs through them. They also tried to talk me out of keeping OEM shocks (ie. upsell me on something I don't need). No, thanks. I've been around cars for quite awhile. Maybe others have done well by them but they just didn't give me the vibe I was looking for.

I'm going to use Holman Automotive in EP. He did suspension set up for my 911 when I used to do HSDE. Does good work at a reasonable price; sometimes take longer than it should but that's OK.

Last edited:

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the reply.

Further is one I hear mentioned from the VW crowd fairly frequently. I've never used but based on my call to them they are a "pass". The person I spoke to was not familiar with VWR springs - not the end of the world but kind of odd for a VW specialty shop. Told me they pretty much just use H&R, which very well may be the case. They had to research and call me back - again not the end of the world. But after not hearing back, I followed up and the price wasn't awesome "but" would give me $50 off if I ordered springs through them. They also tried to talk me out of keeping OEM shocks (ie. upsell me on something I don't need). No thanks. I've been around cars for quite awhile. Maybe others have done well by them but I just didn't get the vibe I was looking for.

I'm going to use Holman Automotive in EP. He did suspension set up for my 911 when I used to do HSDE. Does good work at a reasonable price; sometimes take longer than it should but that's OK.

No problem. Yeah, in the end it was fine but I wasn't super thrilled with the overall vibe there, either.

FWIW I've been on the VWR springs for ~3 years and my stock shocks have taken a hit. They noticeably crash over bumps. I've bottomed out the front struts a few times on potholes. And when it gets cold out they seem to crash even harder. I think doing shocks with springs is in fact good advice... but obviously gets the price up there where you might as well look at a set of lower end coils. I just wanted to go the cheaper route even if it wasn't "ideal", as I'm sure many others looking at springs are in the same boat.

Nitrobackflip

Just picked up a 2015 Golf SEL. Working on a few minor, mostly cosmetic mods...added some 18" BBS SR wheels and looking to swap springs out for VWR Sport Springs. Do any of you have recommendations for a reasonably priced suspension shop that does good work for install the springs? I know of a few of the "VW" shops - other options, preferably South/West side of the cities? Leaning toward Courtney Truck Service or Samaritan but there may be others (I've got one other guy in mind to call tomorrow).

Also, if anyone is interested in another set of wheels (would make a great winter set or upgrade from some trim levels), I'm selling the 18" Durbans that came with the car along with the remaining tires. If interested, let me know.
I got a pretty reasonable quote from Samaritan, but when I asked about all the torque-to-yield hardware that *should* be replaced when doing a suspension job like that, they basically told me if I could get them part numbers they would give me a new estimate. I didn't really want to go down that rabbit hole so I ended up returning the springs

tjpete04

I am due for new tires. Im stuck between a ultra high performance all season or a summer. Naturally in Minnesota Im concerned we dont have warm weather long enough to get the most out of summers. That being said I have never had summers so no experience. Im buying new snow tires too so Im not concerned about snow.

Do summers wear faster? At what temp do you notice diminished performance in summers? I know they say 40 degrees is the minimum.

My shop has a deal with bridgestone so Im between the s04pp or the re980

Any advice appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Nitrobackflip

I am due for new tires. Im stuck between a ultra high performance all season or a summer. Naturally in Minnesota Im concerned we dont have warm weather long enough to get the most out of summers. That being said I have never had summers so no experience. Im buying new snow tires too so Im not concerned about snow.

Do summers wear faster? At what temp do you notice diminished performance in summers? I know they say 40 degrees is the minimum.

Any advice appreciated.

No experience with Bridgestone, but in general if you're going to be running a winter setup I think it makes more sense to run true summers over all-seasons, the rubber is harder in a summer tire and will last longer than an all-season. The temp recommendation for summer tires has to do with performance, not wear. Below 40° the rubber is too hard to offer much mechanical grip, it may wear faster in the cold but only because you'll be spinning wheels all over the place :)

J-Rad

Any advice appreciated.

I've had RE980's. I had great experience with them but I think they're an all-season high performance, not that it matters. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the RE980's. I've had real good luck with Bridgestones.

I just put on Yokohama Advan Sport A/S last week; no real report yet since they have less than 100 miles on them. They get similar reviews as RE980's but at a slightly better price - $137 vs. $150; plus the Yokohama's had a $100 rebate. So, I figured I'd give 'em a shot and probably run them year round. I've never had a real need for a dedicated winter tire.

Last edited:

J-Rad

In case anyone is interested, I had Mike Holman at Holman Automotive in Eden Prairie install my springs (pics in the lowering springs thread). I'll just say this, if you're wanting to have this done, he's most definitely worth the call. Feel free to PM me for details.