GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official MN Thread

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Why do you say “it wasn’t for you?”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In short, too much NVH. A bit of background, I also installed a CTS engine mount at the same time. The CTS was rated at 60 durometer and the ECS at 70 durometer. I figured they would be similar enough and it couldn't hurt to have a little extra tightness on the transmission side, as I've heard that mount takes more of a beating.

Well... I don't know if I didn't quite have the ECS mount aligned properly, or if it was just a mis-match with the CTS mount (the CTS has a rubber bushing and the ECS is poly), but the NVH was very intense.

On light throttle in low RPMs my rear view mirror would shake so much I couldn't see anything in it. The steering wheel and pedals had vibration in them, even at idle. I could hear everything from the engine bay in the cabin. The gears spinning and clacking, the shift linkage, the pressure plate. Everything. There were also some nice engine sounds that were much, much louder than stock. But it was all the extra gear noise that annoyed me, combined with the vibrations. It made the car feel cheap to me. Not tight and refined, but loud and rattling.

I have to believe that maybe with the full ECS kit (poly everywhere) or with a dogbone replacement, things might have been better. ECS claims low NVH and I think it's considered a "stage 1" mount system suitable for a daily driver. Which is why I was so surprised at how harsh it was. I know the poly is harsher, but wow. This is why I think there may have been a mis-alignment as well. But the problem is the bolts are 1-time use and each set costs $25, so I wasn't going to keep tweaking it until I get it right at $25 a pop. Not taking any chances I just ordered a matching CTS mount for the transmission side.

Well... it turns out CTS on both sides is PERFECT (for me). You can feel a definitive improvement in shifting and engine movement, with none of the side effects. No extra NVH at all. It was like night and day.

Another benefit of the CTS is it uses the OEM housing for the bushing, which has two locating pins on the bottom that ensure correct alignment on the body side. The ECS piece is a brand new design of their own creation and does not have these pins, meaning it's easy to not install perfectly. I followed their instructions very carefully but at the end of the day that's what I think happened -- it was slightly misaligned and that made the NVH way more pronounced.

So... long story short, I'm not really bashing the ECS product, as it was well made and looked good, and I do believe that it might work better under different conditions (better install and/or ECS mounts on both sides + dogbone), but it just didn't work out for me.

That being said, I am VERY happy with the dual CTS configuration and would recommend it to anyone looking for a mount upgrade.

Krog29

Ready to race!
Hey fellow minnesotans just got a 15 gti s pp stage 1 yesterday. Hope to see you on the road, coming from a mk6 gti stage 2.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Big Morgan

Was the white GTI with black wheels and a Lyft sticker in the back window I saw on Dean Pkwy (between Isles and Calhoun in Minneapolis) driven by a member?

schwab0

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
VW
just an FYI for my MN folks, I have some 17" winter tires for sale from my old MK7R ... 215/50/17s. Hit me up if interested.

Also, 17s all the way for people with Golf R and GTI with PP. Unfortunately my new car can only use 18s as the smallest wheel :(

schwab0

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
VW
Hope to make an appearance at Cars and Coffee next weekend.

Just fitted the new summer setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slow4

Passed Driver's Ed
Anybody in MN do the LED tail light swap? I'm thinking about ordering up a set but curious if its a PITA to install - just got my car a few weeks ago so I'm not super familiar with the car yet

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Anybody in MN do the LED tail light swap? I'm thinking about ordering up a set but curious if its a PITA to install - just got my car a few weeks ago so I'm not super familiar with the car yet

I did the old style (pre-facelift) w/BEC autoparts harness.

I know there are others in the Twin Cities area as I've seen multiple 7 and 7.5 style retrofits at Cars + Coffee as well as on the road.

Which lights are you looking at specifically? I believe the 7.5 style is a similar process to install, just with a more complicated harness. I would say the install is a bit of a PITA, mostly just routing the harness -- the lights themselves are quite easy. The whole thing is more tedious than difficult. But there are good instructional videos out there showing what to do step-by-step. Having some plastic trim removal tools on hand is helpful but not a necessity.

If you want to unlock the features like amber blinker etc you'll need a coding too as well, such as VCDS or OBD11.

Slow4

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you need a harness for amber blinkers? I’ve seen some non-harness wiring that people have done on different threads that looks pretty simple. I’m looking at the pre-facelift. I prefer it and it’s so much cheaper. I’d love to avoid paying $150+ for a wiring harness if it’s not necessary

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Do you need a harness for amber blinkers? I’ve seen some non-harness wiring that people have done on different threads that looks pretty simple. I’m looking at the pre-facelift. I prefer it and it’s so much cheaper. I’d love to avoid paying $150+ for a wiring harness if it’s not necessary

Yeah, the wiring harness and coding is required to make the amber blinker work. The BEC one also lets you use the rear fog light feature simply by installing a euro switch without the need to run wire from the headlight switch to the tail light.

If you don’t use a wiring harness or coding, the lights just plug into the same plugs as the stock ones and will function the same way (outer lights tail lights function as brake lights and signal). No amber blinker and no rear fog capability.

You could always get the lights and run the harness later if you decide to. To me it’s well worth the $150 bucks because aside from the looks, the amber blinker and rear fog are both useful features.

Also I don’t know if all harnesses (DAP and a few others offer them) allow for rear fog light use with no additional wiring, so if that’s something you want, either go with BEC or make sure it’s supported.

Lmk if you have any other questions!

IMBA1

I'm relocating to Minneapolis early Jan '19. I'm coming from a non-winter climate so I'm hoping to get some pointers on golf specific things to winterize my '17 golf se. I don't have the budget for winter tires this year but I want to make sure I get the right anti-freeze and washer fluid plus anything else that I haven't thought of.