Track location: Garrettsville, OH
Lap time: 1:22:15
Year/model: '16 GTI
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3300
Estimated wheel horsepower: IDK, 300ish
Fuel: 93 + 2 gallons E85
Tire size and model: Hankook R-S4 245/40/17
Estimated ambient temperature: 80F
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): Koni yellow, stock R springs, Superpro FCA, 034 camber plates, Hotchkis RSB, Stoptech ST-60, Pagid yellows, RS3 ducts, stock rear calipers rear w/ GLoc R8, RBF600, WaveTrac, IS20, APR DP, EQT stg 2.

My first time at Nelson's. Was running with a group called AutoInterests. They did a really good job. The track is fast and bumpy and a whole lot of fun. It's only ~7 turns (even though they number them up to 1-13). My time was recorded with an iPhone 11 and Harry's lap timer, so who knows how accurate it really is. I forgot my Ram mount so no video :(

Last edited:

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Track name: Thunderhill with NCRC
Laptime: 2:08

The track was nearly empty - two cars visible about 20 seconds ahead - and my tires were shot. In fact, I'd swapped the Nitto NT-01 fronts and rears just before this session because the fronts were completely bald.
A friend was coaching from the passenger seat and helped especially on T5 bypass. Now feel comfortable with just a lift - no braking - at about 70MPH over the top.

Estimated ambient temperature: 60-75F
Year/model: 2017 GTI
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver & passenger: 3300
Estimated wheel horsepower: 300
Fuel: 91
Notes on setup:
Power train: 034 Stage 2, DSG tune, Racingline oil cooler, BRSK-ER12S plugs
Suspension: RSB, trailing arm, 034 lowering springs, dogbone, -2.5 camber F&R
Tires: 245/40r18 Nitto NT-01, 6th track day, targeted hot pressure of 35psi F, 34psi R
Brakes: Stoptech 4 pot, 2 piece rotors, Pagid RS29 yellow

jawndropper

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Track name: Summit Point Shenandoah Circuit
Track location: Summit Point, WV
Time: 1:46.5
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3200
Estimated wheel horsepower: 360 (APR IS38)
Fuel: 93
Tire size and model: 235/40/18 Falken Azenis 615k+
Estimated ambient temperature: 93f
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): OEM IS38, APR downpipe intake & intercooler, KW v1 Coilovers, 31psi cold, ferrodo ds2500 pads, rpf1 18x8. 3rd day at shenandoah.

1. Stability control is going nuts in the carousel. Its grabbing the brakes hard (see smoke plume at 1:40), making the car unpredictable, and much slower. I'll need to tweak some stuff in vagcom to fully disable it. Not sure if i want to do this.
2. I'm staying in 3rd on the bridge straight and banging rev limiter just before I crest the top of the hill and I end up lifting. Not sure if 4th gear would be worth it on the up hill.
3. I need to work on heel-toe shifting. Letting off the brakes to blip the throttle for a 4 to 3 downshift while coming into the loop (turn 1) at 110+ is terrifying.

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Track name: Summit Point Shenandoah Circuit
Track location: Summit Point, WV
Time: 1:46.5
Estimated wheel horsepower: 360 (APR IS38)
Tire size and model: 235/40/18 Falken Azenis 615k+
Estimated ambient temperature: 93f
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): OEM IS38, APR downpipe intake & intercooler, KW v1 Coilovers, 34psi cold, ferrodo ds2500 pads, rpf1 18x8. 3rd day at shenandoah.

1. Stability control is going nuts in the carousel. Its grabbing the brakes hard (see smoke plume at 1:40), making the car unpredictable, and much slower. I'll need to tweak some stuff in vagcom to fully disable it. Not sure if i want to do this.
This is what I've done. Usually do ASR off in the dry and Esc Sport in the wet
+Esc Sport / ASR off
+Counter steer support weak
+Vibration reduction weak
2. I'm staying in 3rd on the bridge straight and banging rev limiter just before I crest the top of the hill and I end up lifting. Not sure if 4th gear would be worth it on the up hill.
Usually not worth it. Considered asking my tuner to increase redline, but really not worth it
3. I need to work on heel-toe shifting. Letting off the brakes to blip the throttle for a 4 to 3 downshift while coming into the loop (turn 1) at 110+ is terrifying.
Make this a priority. Also comes in handy if your clutch master cylinder goes, you can still shift by matching rpms.

2LEEGIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI MK7
Ordered the Wavetrac for the car. Super excited to see what it can do at the track.
Question, is there a break-in period? Do I change the DSG fluid after the break-in?

2LEEGIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI MK7
Track name: Thunderhill with NCRC
Laptime: 2:08

The track was nearly empty - two cars visible about 20 seconds ahead - and my tires were shot. In fact, I'd swapped the Nitto NT-01 fronts and rears just before this session because the fronts were completely bald.
A friend was coaching from the passenger seat and helped especially on T5 bypass. Now feel comfortable with just a lift - no braking - at about 70MPH over the top.

Estimated ambient temperature: 60-75F
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver & passenger: 3300
Estimated wheel horsepower: 300
Notes on setup:
Power train: 034 Stage 2, DSG tune, Racingline oil cooler, BRSK-ER12S plugs
Suspension: RSB, trailing arm, 034 lowering springs, dogbone, -2.5 camber F&R
Tires: 245/40r18 Nitto NT-01, 6th track day, targeted hot pressure of 35psi F, 34psi R
Brakes: Stoptech 4 pot, 2 piece rotors, Pagid RS29 yellow
Looks like fun, love to do all the tracks up there.

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Ordered the Wavetrac for the car. Super excited to see what it can do at the track.
Question, is there a break-in period? Do I change the DSG fluid after the break-in?
My car is a manual, but after I had the wavetrac installed, I was not advised of any break in period or anything.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I was told at least 500 miles. But 1000 better.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Oversteermybagel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 2017 GTi Sport
Track name: Canaan Motor Club CW
Track location: Canaan NH
Time: 1:05.71
Estimated wheel horsepower: 230
Tire size and model: Multi... 255/35 v730 front. 225/40 a052 rear
Estimated ambient temperature: 75F
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): Ohlins, RSL29 pads, RS3 ducts, CSS knuckles, TCU tune....

Masstuning running their first 'time attack' of the year. Put that in quotes because the intention is not to attract the normal bunch of TT hardos (read, fast people) but rather engage the HPDE locals in some fun competition. Frankly it didn't attract much of anyone for the first outing, rain was predicted which I think scared all but about 25 people away. That being said I went try hard on this one. Track manager Dave talks about how he wants people to see what sort of times everyone is putting down on his track with minimal overhead that is typically associated with running a TT--so no classing, FTD wins. Format for the event was 2hr of open practice followed by a single flying transponder timed lap in the morning and then the same thing running the track in the opposite direction in the afternoon. As you can see Canaan is a tiny club track that almost drives like a 3rd gear autocross. Spent the morning mostly not practicing, making up excuses (man it's a rallyx out there with all the dirt on the track!), letting friends stake down my ez-up while I walk around being useless, and complaining about my car--my hood was stuck closed and everyone needed to know. Anyway back to being a try-hard, in the summer heat letting the car and tires cool (most everyone is on 200tw street tires) for 30mins before the timed lap is a definite advantage that most were not enjoying as most practiced (or you know, enjoyed their track day) until the end of the session

Anyway, lap:

In the afternoon. CCW. This lap straight up sucks. Here you go:

Turns out these combined times were good enough to win overall and take home a trophy for being HPDE champion

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Track: Laguna Seca, Monterey, CA
Laptime 1:49.87
Year/model: 2019 Golf Sportwagen 4motion manual
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3510
Estimated wheel horsepower: 260awhp (per APR..)
Tire size and model: 255/40r17 Hankook RS4
Estimated ambient temperature: 70 degrees
Notes on setup :
‘19 Golf Sportwagen 4motion manual
APR stage 3 IS20 91 tune
Wavetrac Front Diff
APR 350mm front brake kit, Hawk DTC-60 pads, GTI powerpack rear brakes. Ferodo DS2500 pads
Bilstein B16, 034 camber mounts, Super pro front control arms, 034 front and rear swaybars
17x9 Apex SM-10
-2.1 front camber, -1.7 rear, 0 toe front, .1 toe in rear

Finally got back to Laguna yesterday, now in a much faster group then I'd run previously, but that ended up being totally fine, didn't even see the Lamborghini STO that was in the group while on track, so there's that. My best lap of the day was a 1:49.87 (previous best at Laguna was 1:50.55, but that was no Wavetrac and 50hp less), which was nice as it was a improvement, but also a bit frustrating as there's a lot of time left on the table. Mentally, I just wasn't in the right spot and wasn't feeling as dialed in and I think my driving showed that. This was the 7th track day on the RS4's, on their 6th track day at Thunderhill West they definitely didn't grip as well as when they were new, but they still did well and I didn't have issues not trusting them, at laguna that was not the case, it really seemed like they didn't want to grip and lacking trust in them didn't help anything.

I still think into the 1:47's is doable, maybe a little faster, but it's going to take fresh tires to do that. Given the not so great stock cooling system in the wagon I'm expecting to probably not do any track days till the weather cools off towards to end of the year. I was planning on keeping the RS4's on the wagon till the tread wears out as for street driving they're totally fine, I need to buy a set of 245/40r17's for my E36 M3 as I prep that to be the track car, so I could see this fall mounting those onto the wagon to give it another go, we shall see!

Edit: I just watched this lap compared to my previous best lap from February, I actually drove some sections a lot better than my previous best, so maybe I was over driving it a little compared to the available grip of the tires, also first time at Laguna with the added power and Wavetrac so there was a little getting used to coming into some corners with more speed than I was used too.

Last edited:

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Track: Laguna Seca, Monterey, CA
Laptime 1:49.87
Year/model: 2019 Golf Sportwagen 4motion manual
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3510
Estimated wheel horsepower: 260awhp (per APR..)
Tire size and model: 255/40r17 Hankook RS4
Estimated ambient temperature: 70 degrees
Notes on setup :
‘19 Golf Sportwagen 4motion manual
APR stage 3 IS20 91 tune
Wavetrac Front Diff
APR 350mm front brake kit, Hawk DTC-60 pads, GTI powerpack rear brakes. Ferodo DS2500 pads
Bilstein B16, 034 camber mounts, Super pro front control arms, 034 front and rear swaybars
17x9 Apex SM-10
-2.1 front camber, -1.7 rear, 0 toe front, .1 toe in rear

Finally got back to Laguna yesterday, now in a much faster group then I'd run previously, but that ended up being totally fine, didn't even see the Lamborghini STO that was in the group while on track, so there's that. My best lap of the day was a 1:49.87 (previous best at Laguna was 1:50.55, but that was no Wavetrac and 50hp less), which was nice as it was a improvement, but also a bit frustrating as there's a lot of time left on the table. Mentally, I just wasn't in the right spot and wasn't feeling as dialed in and I think my driving showed that. This was the 7th track day on the RS4's, on their 6th track day at Thunderhill West they definitely didn't grip as well as when they were new, but they still did well and I didn't have issues not trusting them, at laguna that was not the case, it really seemed like they didn't want to grip and lacking trust in them didn't help anything.

I still think into the 1:47's is doable, maybe a little faster, but it's going to take fresh tires to do that. Given the not so great stock cooling system in the wagon I'm expecting to probably not do any track days till the weather cools off towards to end of the year. I was planning on keeping the RS4's on the wagon till the tread wears out as for street driving they're totally fine, I need to buy a set of 245/40r17's for my E36 M3 as I prep that to be the track car, so I could see this fall mounting those onto the wagon to give it another go, we shall see!

Edit: I just watched this lap compared to my previous best lap from February, I actually drove some sections a lot better than my previous best, so maybe I was over driving it a little compared to the available grip of the tires, also first time at Laguna with the added power and Wavetrac so there was a little getting used to coming into some corners with more speed than I was used too.
Nice! Looks like that white car (civic?) killed at least 1-2 seconds of your lap time too.

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Nice! Looks like that white car (civic?) killed at least 1-2 seconds of your lap time too.
New GR86/BRZ. Yeah, definitely slowed me a bit there, I also tried to carry too much speed through turn 2 and completely missed that Apex. Stoked how turn 10 went though, I carried about 4-5mph more through there than what I’d consider normal.