GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Official" Lap Times Thread

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Formula Auto X Performance Street Pad. Motul RBF 660 fluid.
Used to run EBC Yellow but these are just as good, less expensive, and less dusty. There aren't many options for the PP brakes.

Yes stock suspension. I just added the 25mm RSB in April.
I only have the Racingline catch can added. Car is stock.
Those are really impressive times, especially considering stock suspension and power. Got me by 4 seconds, with 100hp less!

Not to be argumentative, but there actually quite a lot of track pad options for PP brakes. Carbotech, porterfield, G loc, Ferodo, iSweep. Just to name a few, well regarded brands.

free_guac

Car(s)
2016 GTI
Track name: Laguna Seca
Track location: Salinas, CA
Lap time: 1'51"941
Year/model: 2016 GTI PP
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3400lb
Estimated wheel horsepower: 220hp (stock)
Fuel: mix of 87/91 (I am cheap I know, I daily with 87 and put in 91 for track...)
Tire size and model: Hankook V12 TW340? (reversed direction, I am cheap...)
Estimated ambient temperature: 55F?
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): 2hr after light rain, track is mostly dry.

TrackAddict speed zone view for reference
IMG_6850.PNG
Youtube link without data overlay but you can see speed from the dash. Golf R in rear mirror for reference.

Last edited:

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Fuel: mix of 87/91 (I am cheap I know, I daily with 87 and put in 91 for track...)
Tire size and model: Hankook V12 TW (reversed direction, I am cheap...)
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): 2hr after light rain, track is mostly dry.
That is a great time given the stock setup and conditions. Only 1.8s off Randy Pobst’s time in a stock GTI.

spaparizos

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport
If people are data logging to get these times, is it possible to share some data? Not sure about all apps, but with racechrono one can import reference laps, so it would be fun to use the data to learn.

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
Tire size and model: Hankook V12 TW340? (reversed direction, I am cheap...)

View attachment 198425
Youtube link without data overlay but you can see speed from the dash. Golf R in rear mirror for reference.
Nice job! Which organization was this? Would love to join with so many golfs

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
Lap time: 1'48"644
Year/model: 2019 R
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3570lb
Estimated wheel horsepower: 290hp (stock)
Fuel: 91
Tire size and model: 235/40/R18, A052 TW200
Estimated ambient temperature: 59F
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): Mods: 25mm RSB (H&R), EBC blue pads, RBF660 fluids, RS3 ducts, otherwise stock. Mostly dry track.

1612170510477.png

Race Hero Transponder Results:
1612170561369.png

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Lap time: 1'48"644
Year/model: 2019 R
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3570lb
Estimated wheel horsepower: 290hp (stock)
Tire size and model: 235/40/R18, A052 TW200
Estimated ambient temperature: 59F
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): Mods: 25mm RSB (H&R), EBC blue pads, RBF660 fluids, RS3 ducts, otherwise stock. Mostly dry track.

View attachment 201915

Race Hero Transponder Results:
View attachment 201916

Great time! I think we have a new leader for LS times. How did it feel?

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
Great time! I think we have a new leader for LS times. How did it feel?
Thanks Wil! It was way more fun than I would have imagined. The elevation in LS, combined with banked and off-camber turns make this a very unique track!. I've got some GoPro videos coming soon.

Car Overall:
First time there and first time tracking my golf but I had no issues whatsoever with the ride. I didn't have any hints of understeer and I did get some lift off oversteer at the second last turn (banked right hander) when tires got too hot. On a few laps I forgot to turn off the stability control and the car refused to give gas on corner exit until it was completely settled. I was about 3-4 seconds slower.

Tires:
I manage to use up 50% of the tires on the one 5-session HPDE track day. A052's really suck after 4 consecutive "hot" laps. I regret getting them. After 4 sessions it was very clear that I ate up all the front outside tread and I had to rotate the tires front and rear.

Brakes:
This was my main limiting factor for the whole day. On session one, after only 3 laps my brakes starting making HUGE smoke (brand new EBC blues). Throughout the day I got varying types of problems with them from a pretty strong rumble during braking to soft pedal. After session 3 when I got more comfortable with the car, I started braking later into the turn. When I got back into the paddock, my brakes were putting on a smoke show for a good 10 minutes. I will need to upgrade to some form of BBK soon with real track pads. The RS3 brake ducts I'm not sure do anything at all.

Overall the day went by super quick! I really love LS now and will look forward to tracking there this year and finish off the rest of my tires :)

Last edited:

spaparizos

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport
Great time for laguna seca with golf R! I think if you install some camber plates you will see much better tire wear and I suspect you will lower your times a bit. I also have the RS3 ducts and I don't think they do much. But I was told that I need to modify or remove my dust shields and then they will help. I am not sure how to do that while still protecting the ABS electronics and sensors behind it. I guess in my to-do list :)

I was with NCRC on Saturday. Not very crowded and their point-by group was fun. I was running in the 1.52-53 area with my GTI, trying to keep the brakes and tires at a happy consistent pace so I enjoy the day. I saw your first post and I was thinking, how is he doing that with those brakes, tires and camber. Then your follow-up post clarified it :)

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Thanks Wil! It was way more fun than I would have imagined. The elevation in LS, combined with banked and off-camber turns make this a very unique track!. I've got some GoPro videos coming soon.

Car Overall:
First time there and first time tracking my golf but I had no issues whatsoever with the ride. I didn't have any hints of understeer and I did get some lift off oversteer at the second last turn (banked right hander) when tires got too hot. On a few laps I forgot to turn off the stability control and the car refused to give gas on corner exit until it was completely settled. I was about 3-4 seconds slower.

Tires:
I manage to use up 50% of the tires on the one 5-session HPDE track day. A052's really suck after 4 consecutive "hot" laps. I regret getting them. After 4 sessions it was very clear that I ate up all the front outside tread and I had to rotate the tires front and rear.

Brakes:
This was my main limiting factor for the whole day. On session one, after only 3 laps my brakes starting making HUGE smoke (brand new EBC blues). Throughout the day I got varying types of problems with them from a pretty strong rumble during braking to soft pedal. After session 3 when I got more comfortable with the car, I started braking later into the turn. When I got back into the paddock, my brakes were putting on a smoke show for a good 10 minutes. I will need to upgrade to some form of BBK soon with real track pads. The RS3 brake ducts I'm not sure do anything at all.

Overall the day went by super quick! I really love LS now and will look forward to tracking there this year and finish off the rest of my tires :)

Being on the East Coast LS remains on my bucket list. I'm looking forward to your videos.

I have a tire question based on your post.

I use Cup 2's and love them. With the 180 Cup 2's discontinued and now available in 240 wear "Connect" only, I was planning on switching to the AO52's for the coming season. Your comments are making me second guess myself. You mention "suspension setup" but nothing specific about camber plates. What camber are you running? Also, did the tires come back quickly or stay off for some time?

If you're leaving the O52's what are you planning on using?

Thanks!

Last edited:

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
Being on the East Coast LS remains on my bucket list. I'm looking forward to your videos.

I have a tire question based on your post.

I use Cup 2's and love them. With the 180 Cup 2's discontinued and now available in 240 wear "Connect" only, I was planning on switching to the AO52's for the coming season. Your comments are making me second guess myself. You mention "suspension setup" but nothing specific about camber plates. What camber are you running? Also, did the tires come back quickly or stay off for some time?

If you're leaving the O52's what are you planning on using?

Thanks!

Here's my 1:48.6 video for Laguna Seca.

Slowly worked up to a bit more confidence on the brakes but by then my tires have overheated (10 laps).

I would get Cup 2's for my next set when these wear out!

spaparizos

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport
Here's my 1:48.6 video for Laguna Seca.

Slowly worked up to a bit more confidence on the brakes but by then my tires have overheated (10 laps).

I would get Cup 2's for my next set when these wear out!

What mount are you using for the phone? Looks pretty solid and it mounts on the mirror itself, is that right? Wondering if you get vibrations with it.

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
What mount are you using for the phone? Looks pretty solid and it mounts on the mirror itself, is that right? Wondering if you get vibrations with it.
I don't recommend the mount I have. It actually still vibrates a lot. I am using it for the audio only as it is near the Soundaktor.

Without it all you hear is wind noise

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Track name: Sonoma Raceway
Track location: Sears Point, CA
Lap time: 1'59.481
Year/model: 2017 GTI S
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3200lb
Estimated wheel horsepower: 250 (JB4 Map 1)
Tire size and model: 255/35/R18, Nexen N FERA SUR4G 200TW
Estimated ambient temperature: 55F
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): EQT Coilovers (2.5f/2.0r camber), 33.5psi cold, Macan BBK, Ferodo DS2500, RBF660, Eibach RSB.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Track name: Sonoma Raceway
Track location: Sears Point, CA
Lap time: 1'59.481
Year/model: 2017 GTI S
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3200lb
Estimated wheel horsepower: 250 (JB4 Map 1)
Tire size and model: 255/35/R18, Nexen N FERA SUR4G 200TW
Estimated ambient temperature: 55F
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): EQT Coilovers (2.5f/2.0r camber), 33.5psi cold, Macan BBK, Ferodo DS2500, RBF660, Eibach RSB.

Nice smooth driving. Nice lines as well.

Looked like a gorgeous track day to boot.