GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official DIY TTRS Clutch Kit

jaystonewee

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI 4dr S 6spd
I have the Sachs performance kit with a TT plate. The disc is less aggressive than some other variants I’ve seen and the TOB is from a mk6 gti. The kit was rated at 420 iirc.
I haven’t dynoed my car but the tune I have is supposed to supply around 320whp/390tq. I haven’t felt the clutch slip yet but I don’t track the car.
How do you like it? I've got the TTRS pressure plate with the Sachs SRE clutch disk as well, using it for my EQT Vortex install.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
How do you like it? I've got the TTRS pressure plate with the Sachs SRE clutch disk as well, using it for my EQT Vortex install.
The tob exploded just the other day. Left me on the side of the road. Aside from that I like it. It is heavy though, but you get used to it. I think the tob issue probably isn’t exclusive to that one though.

jcvbadrabbit

Car(s)
VW MK7.5 GTI Rabbit
Yeah he’s got 3 different plate options depending on goals and preferred drivability. that one is most likely the same self adjusting plate which looks to be the ttrs plate.

His cerametallic (made to his specs by clutch masters) plate looks much more promising that the RSR hybrid to me though....

I’ll know soon as I ordered a stage 5 (not with the self adjusting plate) from him earlier today actually. Lol
damn stage 5 full blown race car? i wanted a stage3 for daily use of the car and not have slip when on power. i have a is38 dying to go in, but havent cauuse the clutch issue.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
damn stage 5 full blown race car? i wanted a stage3 for daily use of the car and not have slip when on power. i have a is38 dying to go in, but havent cauuse the clutch issue.
Haha, no just have a hybrid is38 that about to be max effort with full e85 and meth, (currently on e55 and meth and still under 30psi)

Stage 5 is really just a Sachs sre pressure plate with a cerametallic disc.

After talking with mike at ringer the stage 3 and 4 uses a pressure plate that’s got a clamping load that I have already used on my car and didn’t hold the hybrid power per say, and that was with a ceramic lined disc. The car has a dkm twin disc on it right now that the TOB failed so I have to drop trans and it’s potentially go brake fluid soaked on the discs.... I’m been displeased with the Clutch’s behavior since the first day of having it installed (removed and fully inspected it after 2 months of use to make sure the issues weren’t install related, it was better feeling but still has its “quarks” so now here we are just a mere 2 months later again and I’m dropping it again, lol.

After showing Mike the videos of my first clutch slipping that’s was also “rated to 500tq” he suggested I just run the stage 5 since I’m not worried about a little stiffer pedal.

I think those ratings he has are more based around. The e888.1/2, has HS tuning learned the gen 3 hits the tq different and I think it’s just smarter to give yourself the headroom.

If you’re set on having the organic/ceramic dics I would just get the 3+ at least...

Btw, ran the stock clutch with hybrid and meth on a JB4 setup making 24 psi tapering to 20 and the clutch was holding.lol

clarence35

Passed Driver's Ed
My OEM clutch on my '17 Autobahn started to slip a few weeks after I flashed the EQT Stage 1 OTS, so I replaced it with the DIY TT-RS clutch thanks to this thread. Bought everything (TT-RS PP, TDI clutch, MK7 GTI FW, TOB, RMS plus VW sealant, and replaced all stretch bolts) from FCP Euro for the lifetime replacement and the total came out to $1070+tax. So far I'm really happy with the setup but I'm only ~250 mi on the break-in period.

A few things that would have saved me time that I didn't see mentioned for those with the VAQ diff and stock downpipe:
-I'd go in this order for removal: remove dogbone mount, remove downpipe, remove VAQ diff (or set aside, whichever you prefer). I could not make room for the VAQ without removing the downpipe.
-When putting everything back together, I'd install in the exact reverse order: VAQ diff, downpipe, dogbone mount, then finally install the axles. I saved the downpipe for last for no good reason, I didn't think the order would matter. But as a result, I spent a lot of time trying to squeeze it back in and also slowly turning wrenches a fraction of a turn at a time.
-If I ever have to do this job again (hopefully not), I'd buy a ratcheting wrench set. Working around the VAQ makes things pretty tight.

I'm really looking forward to finishing up the 500 mi break-in period. If it holds the power (which I expect it should with just a Stage 1 flash), the impact to NVH is basically just a slightly stiffer pedal. I'm grateful for those who posted, especially for confirming the part numbers!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Thank you, hopefully I'll never need this info though, but if my RSR ever fails, definitely buying it in pieces

How did your RSR hold up over the last 5 years?

obnoxious2

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah he’s got 3 different plate options depending on goals and preferred drivability. that one is most likely the same self adjusting plate which looks to be the ttrs plate.

His cerametallic (made to his specs by clutch masters) plate looks much more promising that the RSR hybrid to me though....

I’ll know soon as I ordered a stage 5 (not with the self adjusting plate) from him earlier today actually. Lol
Curious how did you like your ringer racing clutch?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Curious how did you like your ringer racing clutch?
Still love it for what it is… it’s quiet grabby and heavy for a daily but expected based on being stage 5. I would probably go stage 4 if asked again soley for a little less pedal effort and to get a wider “bite point”

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Still love it for what it is… it’s quiet grabby and heavy for a daily but expected based on being stage 5. I would probably go stage 4 if asked again soley for a little less pedal effort and to get a wider “bite point”
I don't launch my car and stock clutch is holding up to EQT stg 1 just fine right now. I need to keep DMF, so this seems ideal. What the least of Ringer clutch I can get away with for a protuned 93 oct Stg 2 setup. That's my end goal, but I want to keep it streetable.

obnoxious2

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't launch my car and stock clutch is holding up to EQT stg 1 just fine right now. I need to keep DMF, so this seems ideal. What the least of Ringer clutch I can get away with for a protuned 93 oct Stg 2 setup. That's my end goal, but I want to keep it streetable.
I think a stage 2 RR is the least you can go with. I'm going eqt stage 1 but trying to decide between RR stage 2 clutch or Sachs SRE. Whichever gives me lightest stock pedal feel that doesn't chatter.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

I think a stage 2 RR is the least you can go with. I'm going eqt stage 1 but trying to decide between RR stage 2 clutch or Sachs SRE. Whichever gives me lightest stock pedal feel that doesn't chatter.
He has 2 kit types SA=self adjusting pressure plate. Then the standard kit with the HD plate and the XD plates, the SA is a modified fsi plate like the ttrs kits so that will probably have the lightest most oem like plate. The stage 2 and 3 and 4 all use the same plate so pedal feel will be the same the disc friction material is just what changes between the 3 so they get progressively “bitier”.

Stage 5 and 3+ are the only ones that use to the extreme duty pressure plate.

@GTIfan99 since you aren’t after that stock pedal feel anyways either the sa or the hd plate should be fine for you. Honestly the dual face cerametalic face has lots of meat and will slip some still for a smooth start if you just wanted the extra piece of mind and went stage 4, but still stage 3 would be plenty as long as your surfaces don’t get too hot during your runs (doubt it since the oems been fine for you)

obnoxious2

Passed Driver's Ed
He has 2 kit types SA=self adjusting pressure plate. Then the standard kit with the HD plate and the XD plates, the SA is a modified fsi plate like the ttrs kits so that will probably have the lightest most oem like plate. The stage 2 and 3 and 4 all use the same plate so pedal feel will be the same the disc friction material is just what changes between the 3 so they get progressively “bitier”.

Stage 5 and 3+ are the only ones that use to the extreme duty pressure plate.

@GTIfan99 since you aren’t after that stock pedal feel anyways either the sa or the hd plate should be fine for you. Honestly the dual face cerametalic face has lots of meat and will slip some still for a smooth start if you just wanted the extra piece of mind and went stage 4, but still stage 3 would be plenty as long as your surfaces don’t get too hot during your runs (doubt it since the oems been fine for you)
Thanks for the clarification! What are the HD and XD plates? Is the SA plate what gives the OEM feel?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Thanks for the clarification! What are the HD and XD plates? Is the SA plate what gives the OEM feel?
SA- self adjusting.
HD-heavy duty
XD- extreme duty

Yes SA is a plate that was used on a higher power oem application so it will give a close feel to that

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
SA- self adjusting.
HD-heavy duty
XD- extreme duty

Yes SA is a plate that was used on a higher power oem application so it will give a close feel to that
Are they all DMF?