GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official DIY TTRS Clutch Kit

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Interesting...I know the SRE clutch uses an unsprung disc. I’m not sure if that makes any difference though?

It does not make a difference for the pressure plate but it will make a difference on how the clutch feels. I wish the SRE was a sprung disk, it would make it a much smoother clutch.

elamothe15

Ready to race!
Is it fine to top off with aftermarket transmission fluid? The one sold by FCP Euro is significantly cheaper than OEM. OEM is like $40 a liter compared to under $10 on FCP.

Should I plan to just get a bottle of OEM to top it off or get 3 L of the aftermarket to flush it?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-manual-trans-fluid-g052171a2

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
Is it fine to top off with aftermarket transmission fluid? The one sold by FCP Euro is significantly cheaper than OEM. OEM is like $40 a liter compared to under $10 on FCP.

Should I plan to just get a bottle of OEM to top it off or get 3 L of the aftermarket to flush it?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-manual-trans-fluid-g052171a2

Since you are in the North (RI) I would suggest that you stick with OEM. I switched out for Motul when I did mine, but even in the south when it got down to 25* I could barely shift into the low gears until the car was warm. Cant imagine if it was colder than that.

elamothe15

Ready to race!
Since you are in the North (RI) I would suggest that you stick with OEM. I switched out for Motul when I did mine, but even in the south when it got down to 25* I could barely shift into the low gears until the car was warm. Cant imagine if it was colder than that.

Yeah I've read the difficulty shifting at colder temps. Thanks for the info. Can't wait to finally have time to get this thing installed on Monday

Bricktops

Passed Driver's Ed
Clutch went in yesterday. I love the stiffness! How much will it fade after broken in? I kinda like it the way it is

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

elamothe15

Ready to race!
Clutch went in yesterday. I love the stiffness! How much will it fade after broken in? I kinda like it the way it is

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Agreed loving the clutch feel as well. It’s quite stiff, but I love the engagement it gets. Finally wrapped up my installation today after a slight hiccup last night. Looking forwarding to breaking it in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russellvw21

Ready to race!
orderd the parts for fcp. clutch was slipping. im at 31k miles and previous owner said he installed a sachs sre clutch. so curious to see if it is infact a sre clutch and see why it failed. im only on stage 1 apr. hopefully the fcp kit will be better.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie

Have driven with the Motul in colder temps than 25 and you just have to be easy on it.

elamothe15

Ready to race!
Have driven with the Motul in colder temps than 25 and you just have to be easy on it.

I just ended up going with the stock tranny fluid. Didn’t have any issues with it and it is cold half the year up in RI. I ended up doing a complete flush. Fluid was actually quite different in color at 43k miles.

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
trans fluid is normally recommended at 30k or 3 years, whichever comes first. same with brake, power steering, and coolant.

elamothe15

Ready to race!
Are you guys talking about the DSG?
or are you supposed to change the Transmission Oil on the Manuals as well?

We’re taking the manuals. I ended up just draining it all and refilling mine after the clutch job as I lost a fair amount removing the tranny.

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
We’re taking the manuals. I ended up just draining it all and refilling mine after the clutch job as I lost a fair amount removing the tranny.

I get that, but are you supposed to change the transmission oil on a manual on regular basis? I.e. every 50k miles?

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
None of what you just said is true...

Official MK7 Maintenance Schedule

My apologies VW claims that there fluid will perform to 40k

I was an authorized Honda and Kia technician. fluid behaves the same. It will oxidize with use and over time. The best intervals that are pretty much standard across the board is 30k or 3 years. VW may claim some of there fluid will last a little longer and it might based on how you drive, but this is a safe interval that both Honda and Kia followed by. VW also seems to think a 10k oil change interval is safe as well, remember that. Not trying to argue with anyone just trying to give other members information that can help them.