GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official APEX VW VS-5RS Forged 17" & 18" Wheel Thread

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Aside from the silly price, any reason not to run titanium wheel bolts? I realize I could do a stud conversion, but I've been dealing with wheel bolts for so long, I really don't think it would speed anything up significantly.

Aesthetically, all of the cheap silver wheel bolts look, well cheap. Plus I like the idea of the Acer seven sided "locks" for road use.
Galling mostly.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Galling mostly.
I assume a high temp anti seize would address that though? I have a titanium bike and seatpost (in a steel bike), I'm used to those issues.

Well, here I am talking about greasing wheel bolts, maybe I've answered my own question.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I assume a high temp anti seize would address that though? I have a titanium bike and seatpost (in a steel bike), I'm used to those issues.

Well, here I am talking about greasing wheel bolts, maybe I've answered my own question.
I've used titanium wheel bolts for years without any issues. Just make sure they are clean and clean out the wheel hub of any rust before using the titanium bolts.

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Aside from the silly price, any reason not to run titanium wheel bolts? I realize I could do a stud conversion, but I've been dealing with wheel bolts for so long, I really don't think it would speed anything up significantly.

Aesthetically, all of the cheap silver wheel bolts look, well cheap. Plus I like the idea of the Acer seven sided "locks" for road use.

Spoken exactly like someone who hasn't run wheel studs in a while! Seriously though, the stud conversion kit is a game changer on these cars. It really makes wheel installation quite a bit faster overall and the flexibility of being able to play around with various spacer sizes without dedicated extended lug bolts is an added plus. Especially considering our stud kits use the OE ballseat hardware specs, there aren't really any downsides to switching over. Not sure how expensive the specific titanium bolts you are looking at are but from other sets I have seen, the pricing is practically the same if not more expensive than the full stud conversion kit.

Food for thought!

-Geirsen

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Spoken exactly like someone who hasn't run wheel studs in a while! Seriously though, the stud conversion kit is a game changer on these cars. It really makes wheel installation quite a bit faster overall and the flexibility of being able to play around with various spacer sizes without dedicated extended lug bolts is an added plus. Especially considering our stud kits use the OE ballseat hardware specs, there aren't really any downsides to switching over. Not sure how expensive the specific titanium bolts you are looking at are but from other sets I have seen, the pricing is practically the same if not more expensive than the full stud conversion kit.

Food for thought!

-Geirsen
Ha, I don't doubt they're easier, but one of the reasons I went with the 17x9 is specifically not to run spacers. I'm being pedantic, but I'd be okay with a short enough stud that I could run a closed lug on.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Ha, I don't doubt they're easier, but one of the reasons I went with the 17x9 is specifically not to run spacers. I'm being pedantic, but I'd be okay with a short enough stud that I could run a closed lug on.
Do both. Ti studs and ti lugs.

Attachments

• 20220805_124721.jpg
    20220805_124721.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 108

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
17” VS-5RS Forged Wheel Group Buy Ending Soon!

With a little less than 1 day remaining in this Group Buy, now is the last chance to submit your pledge for a set of our all-new 17” Forged VS-5RS wheels at this incredible price point! With 88 pledges locked in and 164 enthusiasts on the interested list, the max discount of $300 off a set plus free shipping* is fully unlocked, but only for those who officially pledge to the deal.

It is important to note that if you are on the interested list, you will not be included in this deal once it closes. With that said, now is your last opportunity to submit your official pledge to ensure your selections are locked-in! The 17” VS-5RS Group Buy will be closing to any additional pledges on Tuesday August 9th at 11:59 PM Pacific.

If you have any last minute questions regarding wheel fitment or the Group Buy process, please let us know as soon as possible to ensure you have the correct selections once the deal ends.

Happy pledging from The APEX Team!​

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Awesome, and a cool process, thanks for guiding us through this. What's next for VW from Apex? I'm likely going to sell my stock 19" wheels and grab something in 18 for all seasons, likely SM10's unless you know something else.

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Awesome, and a cool process, thanks for guiding us through this. What's next for VW from Apex? I'm likely going to sell my stock 19" wheels and grab something in 18 for all seasons, likely SM10's unless you know something else.
Appreciate the kind words!

Moving forward, we plan to focus on 18" forged VW wheels with an all-new, yet-to-be-released design. Fitment-wise, we will likely offer an 18x9" ET42 and a 18x9.5" (ET TBD) wheel to cater to the MQB Audi crowd as an aggressive track fitment for the RS3/TTRS, and for whatever mad man that wants to try and run it on their VW. :ROFLMAO:

I should be able to start teasing the new design within the coming months.

Aside from that project, we will also continue to bolster our VW/Audi catalog with additional hardware/accessory options. We currently have 3mm and 5mm VW/Audi spacers en route and we will be placing a production order for VW/Audi R13 ball seat lugs in OEM and extended sizes to go along with our stud kits.

Stay tuned!

-Geirsen

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
18x9.5 with 275's. Hmm. Some spacers for the fuel filler and fender rolling to clear the fenders. Why not

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Appreciate the kind words!

Moving forward, we plan to focus on 18" forged VW wheels with an all-new, yet-to-be-released design. Fitment-wise, we will likely offer an 18x9" ET42 and a 18x9.5" (ET TBD) wheel to cater to the MQB Audi crowd as an aggressive track fitment for the RS3/TTRS, and for whatever mad man that wants to try and run it on their VW. :ROFLMAO:

I should be able to start teasing the new design within the coming months.

Aside from that project, we will also continue to bolster our VW/Audi catalog with additional hardware/accessory options. We currently have 3mm and 5mm VW/Audi spacers en route and we will be placing a production order for VW/Audi R13 ball seat lugs in OEM and extended sizes to go along with our stud kits.

Stay tuned!

-Geirsen
I finally buy wheels then you tease wider ones? Dick.