GOLFMKV

Official APEX VW VS-5RS Forged 17" & 18" Wheel Thread

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion

Introducing The All-New APEX Forged Sprint Line
Engineered Specifically for MK6/MK7/MK8 VWs

Our forged Sprint™ line was built to be extremely light while still offering a meaningful strength increase over our flow formed wheels. Engineered for drivers looking to shed as much weight as possible to improve lap times.

➡︎ 10K ton forged 6061-T6 aluminum

➡︎ Stronger Sprint™ spec inner lip

➡︎ Side-milled spokes for reduced weight

➡︎ Massive brake clearance

➡︎ Unmatched replacement program

➡︎ Lifetime structural warranty

➡︎ Independently tested and certified

VW Specific Fitments

10K Tons Of Pressure

Our new forgings weigh as much as 120 pounds before machining. To form such a thick blank we require special equipment capable of 10,000 metric tons of pressure. This extreme pressure increases the strength of the aluminum by eliminating porosity and improving the grain structure.

True Motorsport Blanks

Many companies use 3rd-party blanks intended for non-motorsport wheels which can severely limit sizes, concavity, spoke design, and critical brake clearance. We designed our very own blank profiles from scratch which gives us total control over the final product, resulting in exceptionally deep spokes and stronger designs.

Learn more about our true motorsport blanks.

Side-milled Spokes

One of the most significant upgrades to our Sprint wheels is the addition of wider and deeper side-milled spokes. Any excess material that doesn’t add strength is carved out using a precision CNC ball cutter. Side-milling is often deemed cost-prohibitive by others, but for true performance without compromise we believe it's essential.

➡︎ 40-50% Wider
➡︎ 50-100% Deeper

Learn more about our wider and deeper side-milling.

A Stronger Lightweight Wheel

Our forged Sprint™ wheels are lightweight without the strength compromises found on typical lightweight wheels. First, we carved out as much material as possible, then we purposefully added one pound back to reinforce critical areas, creating a stronger inner lip and a higher load rating.¹ What’s the point of a lightweight wheel if it’s fragile?

Weight Optimize

We conducted extensive Finite Element Analysis (FEA) to reinforce high-stress areas and to remove material where it didn’t improve strength. The result is a wheel that is exceptionally light without the strength compromises found on typical lightweight wheels.

Independently Tested

We don't rely solely on computer simulations or unverifiable in-house testing. We believe independent testing is critical to protect consumers in this unregulated industry. We chose STL, an independent lab in Ohio, to test our Sprint™ wheels far above JWL standards, including increases in testing duration, impact drop height, and total load.

Learn more about our rigorous independent testing.

Tough Inner Lip

Introducing the Sprint™ spec inner lip, with a unique channel profile that makes it even stronger than our previous designs. So even though our Sprint™ wheels are pounds lighter than comparable flow formed wheels, the inner lip is 32% stronger.

Learn more about our Sprint™ spec inner lip.

Big Brake Clearance

From day one, APEX has been on a mission to build wheels that clear big brakes. Our new forged wheels are the product of everything we’ve developed over the past 10+ years, including an innovative high-clearance barrel design and vehicle-specific spoke profiles.

Deeper Concavity

Our new forgings were redesigned to create extra deep, concave spoke profiles. Their new shape allows us to make any profile, from flat to deep and everything in between. Each one is optimized for a specific application using 3D laser scans of factory and aftermarket brake kits.

Paintless Knurled Beads

Whether it's a day at the track or months of street driving, repeated hard braking and acceleration can make a tire slip along the bead seat and go out of balance, causing vibration. Knurled beads help, but are less effective when painted over. Our forged line features unpainted knurled beads that stay sharp and maximize grip.

Learn more about why our forged wheels have unpainted knurled beads.

Built for impact sockets

Track wheels need track tools. Don’t settle for wheels that require undersized tuner lugs or thin walled sockets. All APEX wheels accommodate over-sized race lugs and impact sockets to make swapping wheels lightning fast.

Laser-Engraved Specs

As track enthusiasts ourselves, we know how frustrating it is to try to locate and decipher wheel specs that have been hastily hammered into the rim or become unreadable over time. With our new Sprint™ wheels, we chose to invest a little extra and laser-engrave the specs on the barrel, in plain sight, making them easy to find and read. (You’re welcome.)

Additional Features

Hub Centric - All APEX VW/Audi wheels with a 5x112mm bolt pattern are purpose-built featuring a 57.1mm center bore. No centering rings required.

Center Caps - We don't charge extra for caps and we design our wheels to be interchangeable with the OE center caps for enthusiasts seeking a clean factory look. All wheels come with our gloss Black APEX caps included. We also offer optional gloss red and gloss blue VW/Audi spec APEX caps.

Hardware - APEX wheels can be used with all OEM VW/Audi R13 Ball Seat mounting hardware, OE-Spec aftermarket hardware, and wheel spacers.

Lifetime Warranty

All APEX wheels come with a lifetime structural warranty against defects in workmanship and materials, plus a 1-year finish warranty. Exchanges are fast, easy, and hassle-free.

Learn more

APEX Wheel Replacement Program

Curb rash or pothole damage on the street? Make an oopsie at the track? We’ve all been there. APEX is proud to offer 50% off replacement wheels, no matter the damage.

Learn more

A Fitment For You

We’ve tirelessly test-fitted hundreds of setup combinations in order to provide direct-fit, spacer-free wheel packages for everything from showroom-fresh cars to all-out race builds. Our detailed fitment guides help you avoid costly trial-and-error and walk you through every step of finding your perfect setup.

Explore our MK6 Golf/GTI/R Fitment Guides

Explore our MK7 Golf/GTI/R Fitment Guides

Explore our MK8 Golf/GTI/R Fitment Guides

Questions?
Call: 925-245-0773
Email: expert@apexraceparts.com
Web: www.apexraceparts.com
Hours: M-F 9a-5p PST

Last edited:

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
We greatly appreciate all of the interest thus far. While many here already have direct experience with our existing wheel designs for the VW, I recognize that some of you may still not be familiar with APEX.

After 15 years of engineering lightweight flow formed wheels for motorsport use, we knew it was time to leverage our growing in-house engineering department and everything we had learned over the years by adding forged wheels to our offering. To be honest, it took much longer to launch this Forged Sprint Line than we would have liked, but most of that was due to the fact that we had to create custom motorsport blanks to ensure we could deliver the motorsport features we wanted our wheels to embody. Many wheel companies market their wheels as track/motorsport oriented, however, not all of them truly deliver when when you look past the surface.

Here are some good supportive blog articles and videos that dive further into the details of what sets our newest Forged Sprint Line wheels apart:

Testing to a Higher Standard

All Wheel Blanks are not Created Equal

- Geirsen

BeeryTravler

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI SE
I need to pay my seven year old to filter out any pics of the bronze. I pledged for brushed, and I want brushed, but dammit, a part of me knows the bronze would look great on Lapiz...
I pledged for bronze. I already have the SM-10 in bronze lol. The Apex bronze is perfect, subtle but different enough to stand out

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I pledged for bronze. I already have the SM-10 in bronze lol. The Apex bronze is perfect, subtle but different enough to stand out
I know, it's awesome. But the brushed finish is just unique, and I'm dealing with the dumb brushed mirror caps on the Mk8 R. My initial plan was just to broom them for black, but maybe the wheels will tie it all together. I figure worst case, I just swap someone down the road, or order SM10s in bronze in 18s for winter tires. I feel silly keeping the stock 19s for winter tires.

BeeryTravler

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI SE
I know, it's awesome. But the brushed finish is just unique, and I'm dealing with the dumb brushed mirror caps on the Mk8 R. My initial plan was just to broom them for black, but maybe the wheels will tie it all together. I figure worst case, I just swap someone down the road, or order SM10s in bronze in 18s for winter tires. I feel silly keeping the stock 19s for winter tires.
Those mirror caps were an odd decision by VW, I know what I would do...

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
With 32 pledges locked in 62 enthusiasts on the interested list, we are seeing some great momentum as we wrap up the first week of this deal. With just under a month remaining in our 17” VS-5RS Group Buy, there is still plenty of time for us to reach the max discount of $300 off plus free shipping*.

Just as a friendly reminder, it is important to note that our Group Buys are “first come, first served”. With that said, the sooner you lock in your official pledge, the higher the chances are that you will be able to get your preferred finish/fitment!

Meatier Tires and Faster Lap Times: The Benefits of 17" Wheels

When we initially reached out to the VW community with the intention of developing a track-focused wheel for the Golf, GTI, and Golf R, we quickly recognized the lack of aftermarket 17” wheels that prioritized functionality. Many of the 17” aftermarket wheels available to VW enthusiasts were not designed from the ground-up for a chassis-specific application, nor were they offered in fitments that the VW track community desired. This resulted in many enthusiasts needing to run spacers and/or centering rings if they wanted to use 17” wheels, and even then, brake clearance was still a major concern. For the MK7 GTI and Golf R specifically, 18” wheels were often the only option available for a hub-centric track wheel that could clear larger OEM and aftermarket brake kits while providing a performance-focused fitment.

With our long history in grassroots motorsports, we understand that many enthusiasts have to pursue their passion on a tight budget. When it comes to consumables, the price difference between a set of 17” and 18” tires can typically equate to another full day at the track. As enthusiasts ourselves, we recognize the value of any additional seat time that we can get throughout the season.

Taking into consideration that larger diameter wheels are quickly becoming more popular amongst enthusiasts, we feel that it is worth diving into some of the benefits that come along with downsizing to a proper track-focused 17” wheel.

The Main Benefits of 17" Wheels

+ Less weight

+ Lowest price

+ Less expensive tire costs

+ Additional wheel protection against road hazards or going off track

+ Can fit taller tire sidewalls for improved ride quality

+ Provides a functional and performance-oriented appearance

Here are a few examples of track-focused VWs running our 17x9” ET42 VS-5RS wheels in Brushed Clear, wrapped in 255/40-17 Hankook RS4 tires:

-Geirsen